Utah Guns Forum banner

Smith & Wesson M&P 40 Pro Series

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  divegeek 
#1 ·
I finally broke down and bought a new gun. I spent a lot of time researching my next firearm, and I finally settled on the M&P 40 Pro Series. I bought it today from Cabelas as neither Doug's nor Get Some had the pro series. I can't wait to take it to the range and test it out.

Here are some pics!

See less See more
#4 ·
PorterN said:
SQUEEEEEEEET!!! :mrgreen: Congrats on the new addition!

How new is the Pro series? I admit, I've not shot a Smith and Wesson, and haven't been too interested or knowledgeable in their guns. What're the differences/ improvements in the Pro? How much do they run?
The Pro series was started earlier this year. It really has only two differences that I am aware of from the regular model. It has tritium sights - which I was unable to find on any regular models although they are supposedly optional- and it has a performance center sear. This gives it a 4 - 5.5 lb trigger pull vs the 6.5 lb trigger on the normal M&P. Mostly I chose the pro series because I wanted the tritium sights which I was unable to find on any but the pro series. You can also get the pro series with a 5 inch barrel. I have the standard 4.25 inch barrel.

I am considering spending another $30 to install a standard sear to give me a heavier trigger pull for carry. The performance center sear isn't as light as the apex sear (4 - 4.5 lb trigger) that a lot of people use, but I still wonder if it will be too light for carry. Right now I think would guess that it is close to 5 lbs; it doesn't feel too much heavier to me than my XD9 and so long as it doesn't get too much lighter with use I think it will be fine. Still, this isn't a topic I am very knowledgeable about. If anyone has ideas on what trigger pull is too light for carry I would appreciate your advice. :?: :|

I could only find the pro series (with tritium sights) at Cabelas. They sell the pro series for $669.99. Luckily they willingly matched the price of 619.99 from a store in Clinton UT. :shades:

#7 ·
Doctor Jenks said:
I could only find the pro series (with tritium sights) at Cabelas. They sell the pro series for $669.99. Luckily they willingly matched the price of 619.99 from a store in Clinton UT. :shades:
what was the name of that store in clinton if you dont mind... i am getting a M&P in 357sig here within the next week and i want the lowest price possible... i wont go to clinton but i will to cabelas :thumbsup: thanks in advance!

#8 ·
Doctor Jenks said:
If anyone has ideas on what trigger pull is too light for carry I would appreciate your advice.
Why is a light trigger pull bad for carry? If it were a hair trigger, and without any safety switch, or internal drop safety, then I'd be concerned. But I can't think there's any way a drop will manage to work a 4 lb. trigger.

This assumes that you'll be carrying it in a good holster that completely encases the trigger, of course, but that should be a given.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.