Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I have become a fanatic about 10mm. I bought a Glock 29. It is small enough to conceal carry and has the power to take down large 4 legged animals.

It is a blast to shoot. Also, I shoot it more accurately than my .45 acp and 9mm. It has become my weapon of choice.

Why don't more people buy 10mm? The only drawback is the cost of ammo. I know people are scared of the recoil, but it is not that bad. Like every other caliber, once you get used to it, it makes no difference.

If 10mm became more popular, more would carry and more companies would produce it at greater quantity thus bringing down the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
TheGator said:
I know people are scared of the recoil, but it is not that bad. Like every other caliber, once you get used to it, it makes no difference.
Maybe for you, but not for everybody. I found I had to practice every month with my .40 or I would start flinching. For me, 9mm is much more comfortable, faster for follow-up shots, and fun. I sold my .40.

I have no desire for a compact 10mm, but I would like to shoot an EAA Tanfoglio Witness full-size steel gun in 10mm sometime.

To each his own.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The only thing that keeps me from shooing my 10mm more frequently is the cost of ammo. I have the great to reload and have done so in the past, but I have not had much reloading time recently.

I have a Dan Wesson in 10mm. The weight of the gun really makes the recoil manageable and fun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
10mm out of my Glock 20 is less than fun for extended strings. Out of my 1006 on the other hand, it's quite pleasant. I rather enjoy carrying that little extra bit of horsepower.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
TheGator said:
Lately, I have become a fanatic about 10mm. I bought a Glock 29. It is small enough to conceal carry and has the power to take down large 4 legged animals.

It is a blast to shoot. Also, I shoot it more accurately than my .45 acp and 9mm. It has become my weapon of choice.

Why don't more people buy 10mm? The only drawback is the cost of ammo. I know people are scared of the recoil, but it is not that bad. Like every other caliber, once you get used to it, it makes no difference.

If 10mm became more popular, more would carry and more companies would produce it at greater quantity thus bringing down the cost.

A response or two. First, you said the only drawback is the cost of ammo, then go on to say that people are afraid of the recoil. So there is at least two drawbacks. Ammo cost is huge. That's one reason I've held out so long in getting a .380. That and I like 9mm better for the power factor. High ammo cost makes it harder for people to shoot a lot and keep up on their skills.

For 9mm I can get a box of 50 for between $12.50 and $16 depending in where I get it. .380 is $20-25 roughly. I can shoot a lot more 9mm and keep up my skills than I can with .380.

Also the recoil is big with folks. I know ladies that like the .45 and can handle the recoil easily. Others that don't like the 9mm because it has too much recoil.

Some guys don't like the harsh recoil either.

I haven't shot the 10mm personally. But I like the 9mm better most other calibers because I can put more shots on target with it much faster.

(Sent from iSnurd)

·
Registered
659 Posts
manithree said:
Maybe for you, but not for everybody. I found I had to practice every month with my .40 or I would start flinching. For me, 9mm is much more comfortable, faster for follow-up shots, and fun. I sold my .40.

I have no desire for a compact 10mm, but I would like to shoot an EAA Tanfoglio Witness full-size steel gun in 10mm sometime.

To each his own.
I have an EAA Witness full-size steel gun in 10mm, and am happy to let others give it a go. I live in SLC.

For reference, full power 10mm loads in the Witness approximate or surpass full power 357 Mag loads in a mid-frame revolver. Muzzle blast can be substantial, and follow up shots are difficult. Double taps are even rougher. So far, I haven't shot a 9mm, 40, or 45 that compared in terms of recoil/blast, but I would guess a compact 40/45 is similar. I haven't shot a Glock 10mm, but I would imagine it's similar if not worse, due to its lighter weight.

IMHO, the 10mm is a harder caliber to manage and shoot well compared to other common pistol cartridges. Which is a major reason why it's not very popular and why law enforcement dropped it. And if I didn't reload for it, I would have never gotten a gun in 10mm. Factory ammo is too $$$!

It sure is fun to shoot for kicks and giggles though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my G20 for mountain carry and nightstand ornament. It does have a fair bit of recoil that makes follow up shots harder to group but on the plus side with 200gr bullet coming out at 1400+ fps you don't need as many follow up shots in the first place.

I practice with .40 (conversion barrel) as well as relatively cheap PPU 10mm ammo ($23 for 50rds plus shipping from midwayusa.com, when it's in stock).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dewittdj said:
Why stop at 10mm??? Why not go all the way and carry a 12.7 mm (.50 cal) like in a S&W Model 500, Desert Eagle, Taurus Raging Bull Model 500, or a Ruger Bisley?

...and it only kicks about as much as a Cape Buffalo!!! :wink:
I would give it a go if someone would produce a subcompact to shoot it. :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rccooley said:
TheGator said:
rccooley said:
I have a Dan Wesson in 10mm. The weight of the gun really makes the recoil manageable and fun.
Is that the Razorback? I have been dying to add that to my collection.

Pointman 7
How do you like it? Do you have any other Dan Wesson's?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Why don't I like the 10mm?

Because handguns are compromise weapons. You compromise power, accuracy, range and handling for compactness.

The 10mm still doesn't have enough power to make up for it's otherwise handgun-related limitations.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
As to the ballistics, the 10mm is my all-time favorite cartridge. Pound-for-pound, it has more power than anything out there. It's not the most powerful handgun cartridge, but for its size, it is super efficient.

If more manufacturers made pistols chambered for 10mm, I'd buy one. I don't want a Glock and I won't spend $1k on a Kimber either....they're not that great. I believe the Colt Delta Elite was chambered for 10mm, so if I could find one of those I might cough up the dough.

But yeah, I like the 10mm more than any other cartridge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tapehoser said:
As to the ballistics, the 10mm is my all-time favorite cartridge. Pound-for-pound, it has more power than anything out there. It's not the most powerful handgun cartridge, but for its size, it is super efficient.

If more manufacturers made pistols chambered for 10mm, I'd buy one. I don't want a Glock and I won't spend $1k on a Kimber either....they're not that great. I believe the Colt Delta Elite was chambered for 10mm, so if I could find one of those I might cough up the dough.

But yeah, I like the 10mm more than any other cartridge.
The cartridge is picking up in popularity. I think if SIG or S&W will start producing a pistol, it will pick up more and drive down the prices.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm curious about the 10mm too. Are there factory down loads for it for good defense loads? The just switch up mags when your playing where bigger mean things hang out?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have shot the 10mm and thought it would be a fun gun to own but wouldn't carry one. It has more energy than 9mm, my caliber of choice for carrying but as mentioned there are a few items against it.

1. Recoil management. Follow up shots are going to be more difficult than say a +P 9mm. You said that you shoot it just as accurately but can you shoot it as fast? Gunfights are rarely over in one shot.

2. To get better at controlling the recoil you will need to practice more. 10mm practice ammo isn't cheap and neither is the brass if you reload. I have never purchased brass for 9mm, 40, or 45 as it is left on the floor/ground at many shooting ranges.

3. Ammo availabiity. This reason is less significant but 10mm is not nearly as popular as the other service calibers on the market. Finding ammo in a pinch might be interesting.

That being said, I have half a box of 10mm sitting on my ammo shelf. About 5 years ago I almost purchased a used Fusion 1911 in 10mm but it was a kit build and the person that put it together did not know what they were doing. The gun wouldn't make it through a magazine without having some kind of malfunction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.