Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little different than most people's reviews, but I didn't see any for this one.

I bought this thing yesterday, and my father in law and I went to shoot it. It's a .44 cal blackpowder cap and ball revolver.

Loaded up the cylinders using lubricated wool wads between the powder (30 grain pyrodex pellets.) and the ball (.451)

The first round, the percussion cap blew, but no fire. The second fired, the third fired, but I couldn't get the action to work. It was stuck.

Turns out that the powder hadn't ignited, but the percussion cap had enough force to shove the ball between the barrel and the cylinder.

And the reason that happened was because I wasn't seating the ball deep enough. So after I seated them all deeper, they all fired just nice!

I was shooting at metal and you would shoot the thing, and the ball would hit a second later, not quite but a while later, and it would make a loud thunk, and leave a ragged half inch hole in the metal. I would definitely not want to be shot with this thing.

I decided to shoot at a target about 200 yards away, and it hit it! Wow, I did not expect that.

Pretty cool gun.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That's very cool. I have a Traditions Hawken rifle and I think I may need a sidearm to go with it. :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice 51 Colt. Remember Wild Bill carried a brace of 1851's

·
Registered
59 Posts
rdoggsilva said:
Nice 51 Colt. Remember Wild Bill carried a brace of 1851's
Yes, but the Colts in the 1851 Navys were 36 CAL.

DJ

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
44 cal makes it even better :crown:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that a .44 cal cap and ball revolver would stop an attack quick. Especially when using soft lead balls. Crazy stuff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They are fun toys, although I havent fired any of mine in years. I have three brass frame navy relvolvers, a steel frame 1860 army built from a kit (never fired), a walker (never fired) and a remington 1858 relvolving carbine(never fired), all .44's. I used to really be into that stuff. I chain fired one of the navy relvolvers one day a very long time ago. I read somewhere that it was a waste of time putting lube in after the ball to prevent chain firing, and I was dumb enough to believe it. Wrong! The one lined up with the barrell fired and the ones on each side of it went off as well. It sounded really strange, and it took me a minute to figure out what had happened. It didnt damage anything (or me), so I was very lucky!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Umm, so did you just put powder, then ball?

Cause whoever told you that sucks.

I use a lubricated wad. No chain fires yet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
thx997303 said:
Umm, so did you just put powder, then ball?

Cause whoever told you that sucks.

I use a lubricated wad. No chain fires yet.
Just powder and ball.It was in a magazine article a very long time ago, and your right-they suck. I was just a kid at the time, and figured if it was in print, it must be right.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, they do suck. I use the lubricated wool wads. And for those who think that the wads are too pricey, you can make them yourself I have found out.

Cheaper, and great if you plan to carry it. No greasy mess. Some even say use two wads, one under the ball and one over, but i think that would be overkill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
thx997303 said:
Yeah, they do suck. I use the lubricated wool wads. And for those who think that the wads are too pricey, you can make them yourself I have found out.

Cheaper, and great if you plan to carry it. No greasy mess. Some even say use two wads, one under the ball and one over, but i think that would be overkill.
I have a pair of 62s, a brass frame 51, and a pair of Remington 58s and have shot them all extensively. I started shooting the wads when I first saw them some yeas ago, and they are alot more convenient to use. I'm not sure how many, but several thousand rounds and no chain-fires. Witnessed several, not fun. Saw the whole barrel assembly blown off a 61 Navy from a complete chain-fire. Tubes definately need to be well sealed.

DJ

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ahh the 1851 navy...Man I love this gun. I need to pick one up someday. It is such a joy loading it and shooting it. I've never been more impressed with its accuracy. First c&b gun I ever shot chain fired, the person who loaded it (I was a kid) apparently did not know what they were doing. Great gun!!! Good review!!! I laughed about the seating of the ball, been there too!!!

:)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I've learned a bit since that outing. Cast a few rounds myself just recently. Will try making Black powder later.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've kinda been eying these lately. Luckily theres a guy up here that's got a few and I could probably convince him to let me try it out sometime so I can see if I like it enough to put it on the list.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep there are a ton of people that use BP revolvers up here in Logan. If you can't find one, go to one of the Cowboy Action Shooting meets and I can bet there will be one or two that would love to stick one in your hand. Occasionally a I catch a few out at the range too. They are addictive and surprissingly accurate. Its on my list, well so is everything else. But, I imagine it will be a purchase that is upcoming one of these days. Its a nice change from the fast paced magazine world!!!! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts