Utah Guns Forum banner

.270 or .308?

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Tarzan1888 
#1 ·
Here's my dilemma. I'm about to purchase a new hunting rifle and can't decide between .270 and .308. I'm fairly set on the Remington 700 models (probably CDL or SPS), but can't decide on the caliber. I know caliber discussions have been beat to death online, but I just can't make up my mind. This gun would be for deer and elk hunting primarily and I'm interested in a gun that can reach out and touch something - be consistent and accurate at 300+ yards. I will be putting nice glass on it.

I've shot a .270 all my life (I won my current rifle in a big buck contest at age 14) and am very comfortable with it, so advantage .270. While I know it has less flexibility than .308, is more expensive for ammo, and can be slightly less consistent ballistically, the .270 is also a flatter shooter and packs a harder punch (something I have to consider for elk hunting).

So, what would you do? While I'm sure you think that .30-06/.280/7mm/.300 Win Mag/.300WSM/etc. is superior, please limit discussion to the advantages/disadvantages of these two calibers.

#2 ·
The flatter trajectory is not a huge deal. I helped my brother pick between a '06 and 270, and when investigating the ballistics, I was surprised that at normal ranges the difference in the two is little to nothing. I'll bet the 308 is the same.

Personally, though, I'd go with the 270. It is more versatile for the animals we hunt here -- it's better matched for elk than the 308. Both are well suited to deer. And those two are the primary animals we hunt.

#3 ·
Frankly,

The only advantage you might consider for the .308 over the .270 is cartridge length. The length of the .308 will allow for a shorter more compact rifle.

The .270 is a very fine big game rifle cartridge with a very wide range of ammo options. It is very flat shooting and in the Rem 700 is very accurate.

DJ

#4 ·
For hunting you can't go wrong with either caliber in my opinion. DeeJay is right, the 308 will have a shorter action.

308 has some definite advantages:
More accurate than 270 but not enough to worry about in a hunting scenario
Larger variety of factory loads.
-These are only important if you reload:
Empty brass is much easier to come by.
Larger selection of bullets.

#6 ·
I use either a 30-06 or 308. I have been using the 308 more. The .30 cal has a larger selection of bullets for reloading. And as stated above a shorter more compact rifle. In the 180 grain the 308 is a good Elk round.

#8 ·
Maybe Im just old and set in my ways but I would compromise between the two and get a .30-06. No worries for elk or anything up to black bear but still far reaching and versitile if you know your rifle. So you keep the 30 cal but get the punch and most of the speed of the .270. (Don't get me wrong, I love the .270 infact I built one for my wife for elk hunting)

#10 ·
FBMG Smithy said:
Maybe Im just old and set in my ways but I would compromise between the two and get a .30-06.
Or a 7mm. Shoots as flat as a .270, with more punch than a .308.

#11 ·
I am partial to the 270. Yes, I have had a 308 and a 30-06, but you see the 270 is the one I kept.

BTW I reload and use only one load. 130 grain Hornady spire point. This has proven good for anything from
varmints to elk. There is wisdom in this you see, as once you learn the trajectory it remains the same so you know where the bullet will be at the different ranges.

#12 ·
.300 win mag.(sorry, had to deviate there a bit) Ok we will stick to your guidelines. I say .308. And I say that for one reason only. You listed Elk. Elk are big, and Im a firm believer in heavier bullets for big game, and since our only two options here are .270 and .308 my vote goes to the biggest (Dont tell Jack O'connor). The .270 is a round that seems to perform better than it should, and I have nothing at all against it. I would still go with a bigger (heavier) bullet.

#14 ·
Thanks much for your feedback. While it's been informative, it hasn't helped my decision a whole lot. :dunno: I think you've just confirmed my thoughts that I'm probably OK with either caliber. So I'm going to probably decide based on other factors - price, features, availability, etc. and be confident that the caliber choice is going to be fine either way.

#15 ·
apollosmith said:
I think you've just confirmed my thoughts that I'm probably OK with either caliber. So I'm going to probably decide based on other factors - price, features, availability, etc. and be confident that the caliber choice is going to be fine either way.
I think you'll be quite happy with any of the common game rifle calibers.

#16 ·
Yes, choose the common calibers. I've gone the other way a few times, and I've been OK, but there have been moments I wish I'd gone with the common instead of the less common.

The common is .22-250... I got a .220 Swift.
The common is .243 Win... I got a 6mm Rem.
The common is .270 or .30-06... I got a .280 Rem.

#17 ·
Well, it's a done deal. I brought this beauty home today...

In the end, I decided to go with what I'm most familiar with - the .270. She's a Remington 700 SPS with synthetic stock, stainless steel, 24" barrel, X-Mark Pro trigger (around 3.5 pounds), total weight 7 3/8 pounds. :fudd:

I got it all cleaned up (LOTS of lube in there!) and now just need to get a scope so I can go shooting. I'm looking at the Burris Signature Select 3-12x44mm Ballistic Plex Reticle. Thoughts or recommendations on glass?

#18 ·
apollosmith said:
Thoughts or recommendations on glass?
Thats easy. Leupold. Good glass is vital. There is better stuff out there, but it is only marginaly better and costs a lot more. Good glass is vital, some say more important than the quality of the gun. You simpy cant beat Leupold. They totaly dominate the hunting glass world, and do so for a reason. I own ten, and am glad I spent the extra cash on each one of em. If you have to wait a little longer to save up for a good quality scope, do it.

#19 ·
Nice rifle, I really like Rem 700's.

The Burris Signature series are very good scopes, very well built and good glass.

#21 ·
James said:
Do you like variables on a big game rifle? I get along real good with the 6 power.
I can't imagine hunting without a variable power. I've shot a running deer at 4 yards and a standing deer at 350+. While I know a 6 power would get this done, I sure life the flexibility of a variable power. I also like to use the variable power for range finding.

#22 ·
tapehoser said:
I'd get an 30'06 as a compromise as well. You've got anything from a 125-220 grain bullet, whereas you are limited more with the .270 Win...... .
That is exactly what I was thinking. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.