Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching the TV show 30 days right now. They have an Anti-gun zealot move into the home of a gun owner for 30 days. She is also going to be working in a gun shop and taking shooting lessons. Anyone around should tivo it.

The pro gunner seems very calm, logical and very safe. He went over safe handling rules very first. While the girl is very emotional since she had a friend killed 9 years ago. She walked thh camera crew down the block from where she lived and pointed out a house where a 7 year old child was killed. 2 murders have happened in the area she lives in the past 6 months. And she see's no need for a gun or for self defense. Her father was in the military and agrees with her that guns are just killing machines and no one needs that around where they live. I'm getting a good glimpse into anti mentality. Lots of fear. She is bawling after shooting a gun for the first time.

Best quote so far "every time I hear a gun go off i think of people getting killed, like a child or my friend, every single time"

It also goes through the whole background check. She thinks we shouldn't leave it up to the honor system when asking questions about mental health.

So far it's been okay except for a few stats that have be brady bunched like 30,000 people a year are killed by guns.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I have a hard time watching Morgan Spurlock, he is full of crap and his "statistics" are always wrong. I like the idea of the show, but it almost always has some liberal spin that makes me feel all dirty...

I might be up to watching this one... but the rest? No thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im no fan of the show. Just caught this one by chance. They also went to the U and interviewed the pro carry students there.

Overall impression of the show was decent. I wont watch it over though. It was kinda like arguing with an anti.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I didn't see the show but I would have to give the woman a high five for placing herself in that environment and learning the facts.

·
Registered
542 Posts
after watching the show my only complaint is that the "Pro-gun" guy was *******, and lived in a small town. They needed to put her in a place like slc that isn't po-dunk, but is still pro-gun, to show that CFP is important in the city as well as the country. but other than that I thought it was well done and not anti-gun at all.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The show is called 30 days. It is on FX which is channel 43 for me. It will be on again on Saturday from 12 am -1am.

Yeah I've got to agree with you about the guy being from the country. A real city would have been much better since she went from a high population/crime area to the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
It's called staging. You take a "normal" person from a normal place (city) and plop them into the middle of nowhere with crazy ******** and lots of guns. That way the message is put across that only ******** and people who live in the country have guns. That way, if you live in the city, you don't see the application or feel any commonality with that ******* and his guns.

It's a common ploy, but the reason the show is flawed is that they group people from two EXTREMES to create a controversial and "interesting" show. That's what I don't like about 30 days, it's just to stereotypical for my liking.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
I like 30 days. I don't necessarily agree with some of their editorializing and I don't care so much for the episodes where Spurlock is in some situation, but I think the premise is interesting and I always learn something. I'm downloading this gun episode as we speak.

My favorite of the episodes I've seen was the one where they sent the Minuteman to live with a family of illegals. I think both sides walked away considerably enlightened.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Watching it now. I'm going to update this post with things I find amusing in the episode, somewhat like a live blog.

Time:
2:45 Pia says, "I don't really see the need to have a gun. It's a killing machine. Guns make all of us more susceptible to death and danger. In this day and age, the only people that need guns are police officers and soldiers. Those are the people that are here to protect us. I don't see why anyone else needs a gun."

4:00 Pia's Boyfriend: "How do you feel about living in a house full of guns?"
Pia: "My biggest fear is arguing with somebody that doesn't have their facts right. That's my biggest fear."
Boyfriend: "Well, maybe these people have similar views, they just enjoy the skill aspect of guns, who knows?"
Pia: "Doubt it." Laughing...
Pia: "I pictured them with a Confederate flag hanging out front, {mimicking Southern accent} drinking moonshine on the porch..." Laughing...
Pia: "So bad, that is so bad!"

6:47 Pia (driving through rural Ohio): "I can't believe I haven't seen one person in at least 20 minutes.It's like another planet. Why on Earth would anybody need a gun out here?"

Typing transcript is taking too long, switching to summaries...

~8:00 Pia says that every time she turns on the news she has to relive the death of her friend (shot). Ken (the gun advocate) asks her if the news ever reports people defending themselves with guns. She says, "No, you don't hear those stories because personally I don't think there's enough of them."

9:00 Pia: "People that say they need their guns for self-defense; I think they're paranoid. Who are you afraid of? Who are you protecting yourself from? I live two miles from where four murders, in two nights, were committed and I don't have a gun."

9:45 Pia: "I actually am uncomfortable being in a house with so many guns. I've seen the ones that are locked, I know that Ken has one on his person and Zach has a couple in his bedroom, and I don't feel safe. I can't believe that I'm doing this."

11:15 Pia: "I've just never held a gun before."

11:50 Pia goes to a fun shoot: "Do you know how many other things you could be doing on a Saturday afternoon?" Reply: "It's more fun than you think." Firing begins, Pia: "It was quite surreal. There were pistols that were revolvers, there were machine guns, there was a guy lying on his stomach shooting a .50 caliber machine gun I think (it was a bolt action rifle). It's a safe environment, which is great, but it just seems like they're playing with toys and I don't think they realize how serious shooting a gun is."

14:15 Pia goes to work at the gun store: "I kind of had that peace of mind knowing who I was working with was definitely going to be a legitimate gun dealer. Totally blew my stereotype." Later when doing a background check, "He has to fill one of these out every time he buys a gun?" Reply, "That's correct." Pia: "The questions are basically leaving it up to the person filling out the application and the 'honor system' really shouldn't work when it comes to owning a 'killing machine'."

16:55 Pia goes to shoot skeet: "I've agreed to this journey. I've agreed to shoot a gun. That's a powerful thing when you've never done it before. (Shotgun shooting in background) Every time I hear that sound I think of someone being killed. I don't like the sound... every single time." Shoots shotgun, then lowers it and begins to cry uncontrollably. When asked how it was she sobs. When asked did it hurt? She shakes her head in the negative. "When I shot the gun for the first time I just didn't like, just made me sad, but when you've heard gunshots it's one thing, but when you're the source of the gunshot, your the person that shot the gun and you've never done it before, it just not a good feeling." When Ken asked her if it was as bad as she thought, "Yes, yes, pretty much."

19:12 Pia: "They just don't get it. Every time I hear a gun shot I don't think about a little boy shooting clay pigeons. Every time I heard a gunshot go off I just thought about a child, or my friend, and they don't get it."

20:30 Pia gets a BB gun to conceal carry: "I think that if you've got a gun on you, you've got a huge, huge chance that that gun is going to be turned around and used against you." .... "I'm more paranoid having this thing strapped to my backside (strong side). If anything, I feel less safe." Stands up and lifts up shirt in pizza parlor to ask, "Is this thing on right?" Ken says it is and that it should tilt a little further forward. Pia asks the young worker girl, "Does that make you nervous?" Girl replies, "No, not really. Have you never carried one?" Pia says no, the girls asks her if it makes her nervous, Pia says it does. "To have people with limited amounts of training carrying around guns, that's a dangerous situation for the rest of us."

24:55 Pia packs up the store to work at a gun show: "The people I saw at the gun show today, the patrons, every single one of 'em was carrying a gun. They had machine guns (she still doesn't know what a machine gun is) on straps, one guy had one on each side. It was extremely disturbing. It's just so weird to me to see people walking, holding guns, and I know you told me they're not loaded but it's freaking me out, freaking me out." She admits she saw the guards checking the guns.

Some stupid rhetoric about a mother being killed with a 4 month old in her arms and 4 murders in Pia's hometown since she's been gone. She wants new gun laws to stop this from happening, with obviously NO idea how any of those laws are going to stop the criminals from committing crime. She says, "Can't we just give it a chance? This is an epidemic!" Hey Pia, what have all these "gun laws" been doing for all these years... oh yeah, I forgot, nothing. Seems like we need more...

34:50 Pia: "One of the most common excuses I've heard for owning a gun here is self-defense, so I found someone who protected and defended his life and his entire family's life by owning a gun." ... "Up until this meeting I had yet to meet anyone who could give me a concrete story about when they actually had to use a gun for self-defense. It didn't change my opinion of what I need to do for myself, but it definitely made me see there are real nice, everyday, average people that have been through these ordeals and thank God they were able to defend themselves."

38:15 Pia: "I saw guns being used for so many different reasons, none of them being used for evil (great statement!), even though the gun represented evil to me in the beginning, I got to see people using it for skill and protection and empowerment."

39:55 Pia: "Initially, I started this process saying that the only people that should have guns are cops and soldiers. However, there needs to be a way to separate the law abiding citizen and not take away their gun rights, but restrict it to an extent so that the wrong person does not get a gun." Good idea, but so ignorant. The anti-crowd has all these high hopes (let's stop all killings), but no real, effective ideas or means on how to do that.

THE END.

·
Registered
542 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
Watching it now. I'm going to update this post with things I find amusing in the episode, somewhat like a live blog.

Time:
2:45 Pia says, "I don't really see the need to have a gun. It's a killing machine. Guns make all of us more susceptible to death and danger. In this day and age, the only people that need guns are police officers and soldiers. Those are the people that are here to protect us. I don't see why anyone else needs a gun."

4:00 Pia's Boyfriend: "How do you feel about living in a house full of guns?"
Pia: "My biggest fear is arguing with somebody that doesn't have their facts right. That's my biggest fear."
Boyfriend: "Well, maybe these people have similar views, they just enjoy the skill aspect of guns, who knows?"
Pia: "Doubt it." Laughing...
Pia: "I pictured them with a Confederate flag hanging out front, {mimicking Southern accent} drinking moonshine on the porch..." Laughing...
Pia: "So bad, that is so bad!"

6:47 Pia (driving through rural Ohio): "I can't believe I haven't seen one person in at least 20 minutes.It's like another planet. Why on Earth would anybody need a gun out here?"

Typing transcript is taking too long, switching to summaries...

~8:00 Pia says that every time she turns on the news she has to relive the death of her friend (shot). Ken (the gun advocate) asks her if the news ever reports people defending themselves with guns. She says, "No, you don't hear those stories because personally I don't think there's enough of them."

9:00 Pia: "People that say they need their guns for self-defense; I think they're paranoid. Who are you afraid of? Who are you protecting yourself from? I live two miles from where four murders, in two nights, were committed and I don't have a gun."

9:45 Pia: "I actually am uncomfortable being in a house with so many guns. I've seen the ones that are locked, I know that Ken has one on his person and Zach has a couple in his bedroom, and I don't feel safe. I can't believe that I'm doing this."

11:15 Pia: "I've just never held a gun before."

11:50 Pia goes to a fun shoot: "Do you know how many other things you could be doing on a Saturday afternoon?" Reply: "It's more fun than you think." Firing begins, Pia: "It was quite surreal. There were pistols that were revolvers, there were machine guns, there was a guy lying on his stomach shooting a .50 caliber machine gun I think (it was a bolt action rifle). It's a safe environment, which is great, but it just seems like they're playing with toys and I don't think they realize how serious shooting a gun is."

14:15 Pia goes to work at the gun store: "I kind of had that peace of mind knowing who I was working with was definitely going to be a legitimate gun dealer. Totally blew my stereotype." Later when doing a background check, "He has to fill one of these out every time he buys a gun?" Reply, "That's correct." Pia: "The questions are basically leaving it up to the person filling out the application and the 'honor system' really shouldn't work when it comes to owning a 'killing machine'."

16:55 Pia goes to shoot skeet: "I've agreed to this journey. I've agreed to shoot a gun. That's a powerful thing when you've never done it before. (Shotgun shooting in background) Every time I hear that sound I think of someone being killed. I don't like the sound... every single time." Shoots shotgun, then lowers it and begins to cry uncontrollably. When asked how it was she sobs. When asked did it hurt? She shakes her head in the negative. "When I shot the gun for the first time I just didn't like, just made me sad, but when you've heard gunshots it's one thing, but when you're the source of the gunshot, your the person that shot the gun and you've never done it before, it just not a good feeling." When Ken asked her if it was as bad as she thought, "Yes, yes, pretty much."

19:12 Pia: "They just don't get it. Every time I hear a gun shot I don't think about a little boy shooting clay pigeons. Every time I heard a gunshot go off I just thought about a child, or my friend, and they don't get it."

20:30 Pia gets a BB gun to conceal carry: "I think that if you've got a gun on you, you've got a huge, huge chance that that gun is going to be turned around and used against you." .... "I'm more paranoid having this thing strapped to my backside (strong side). If anything, I feel less safe." Stands up and lifts up shirt in pizza parlor to ask, "Is this thing on right?" Ken says it is and that it should tilt a little further forward. Pia asks the young worker girl, "Does that make you nervous?" Girl replies, "No, not really. Have you never carried one?" Pia says no, the girls asks her if it makes her nervous, Pia says it does. "To have people with limited amounts of training carrying around guns, that's a dangerous situation for the rest of us."

24:55 Pia packs up the store to work at a gun show: "The people I saw at the gun show today, the patrons, every single one of 'em was carrying a gun. They had machine guns (she still doesn't know what a machine gun is) on straps, one guy had one on each side. It was extremely disturbing. It's just so weird to me to see people walking, holding guns, and I know you told me they're not loaded but it's freaking me out, freaking me out." She admits she saw the guards checking the guns.

Some stupid rhetoric about a mother being killed with a 4 month old in her arms and 4 murders in Pia's hometown since she's been gone. She wants new gun laws to stop this from happening, with obviously NO idea how any of those laws are going to stop the criminals from committing crime. She says, "Can't we just give it a chance? This is an epidemic!" Hey Pia, what have all these "gun laws" been doing for all these years... oh yeah, I forgot, nothing. Seems like we need more...

34:50 Pia: "One of the most common excuses I've heard for owning a gun here is self-defense, so I found someone who protected and defended his life and his entire family's life by owning a gun." ... "Up until this meeting I had yet to meet anyone who could give me a concrete story about when they actually had to use a gun for self-defense. It didn't change my opinion of what I need to do for myself, but it definitely made me see there are real nice, everyday, average people that have been through these ordeals and thank God they were able to defend themselves."

38:15 Pia: "I saw guns being used for so many different reasons, none of them being used for evil (great statement!), even though the gun represented evil to me in the beginning, I got to see people using it for skill and protection and empowerment."

39:55 Pia: "Initially, I started this process saying that the only people that should have guns are cops and soldiers. However, there needs to be a way to separate the law abiding citizen and not take away their gun rights, but restrict it to an extent so that the wrong person does not get a gun." Good idea, but so ignorant. The anti-crowd has all these high hopes (let's stop all killings), but no real, effective ideas or means on how to do that.

THE END.
I could have saved my self an hour by just reading this! dang. I could have been reloading..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts