Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Alaska on a fishing trip. We're going with a tour company, but it's a small family operation. Not much hiking, just fishing from boats in the ocean and river fishing by truck. It should be a lot of fun.

I'm debating whether to take my XD9 with me. I know it won't help much with bears (we already have bear spray), and we won't have any time to go shooting. Would it be useful to have anyway, or should I just leave it home? I don't want it to be more work than it's worth, but I do like having my gun with me.

[EDIT: As I state below, what I'm really after is if anyone has been on one of these fishing trips in Alaska before. If so, can you provide insight as to whether the firearm will get in the way or will be useful? I should have stated this up front.]

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm sure you probably know what most everyone here is going to recommend - take it. You might be able to think of a few instances where you won't need it, but I can think of a thousand where you might. Why take the chance?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm sure everyone will recommend taking it. What I was really after, though, is whether anyone has been on one of these fishing trips and can provide insight as to whether the 9mm will get in the way or will be useful. I should have stated it in my original question. Has anyone been on one of these?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Flying with a gun is really easy, (plenty of posts are on here so I wont go through it now) and I say ALWAYS be armed if possible. 9mm will stop all but a grizzly bear (black bears are between 70-350lbs... So I am bigger than most black bears and I am sure a 9mm will stop me pretty good)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
doconix said:
.....I know it won't help much with bears (we already have bear spray).....
News Flash....the 9mm is of more use against bears than is the bear spray.

Take the 9mm, you never know when you will get a chance to shoot at sonmething....BUT for bear protection take a 12 gauge loaded with alternating 00 Buck and Slugs.

Tarzan

G

·
no sorry you might call doubletap they make a similar load thats just a little hotter they are out of cedar city my next choice would be something like this

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/33959-5.html
  • http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM417-5.html

To tell you the truth I dont know if I would go through the effort, I'd go with the 115 JHP's +p that are already in the mag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts