Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently do not own a rifle for hunting large game (deer and elk). I really like the looks and feel of the lever action guns. I think a .308 would be a great caliber (I don't like a rifle with a lot of kick). The problem with the Browing BLR .308 is they take a scout scope. The Marlin 308 Marlin Express looks like a good way to go. Anyone own one? Will I be able to find ammo 10 years from now?

I have also considered a 30-30. There is plenty of 30-30 ammo out there, I'm just not sure it would make a terrific elk gun.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
402 Posts
You have touched on one of my soft spots. Nothing beats a good lever action rifle in the field.

The 308 Marlin Express fits your needs but will it be like the 307 Winchester and disappear after a few years in any ones guess right now.

The 30-30 will take elk. Using the 170 grn bullets and with proper shot placement I would go after an elk. The Hornady LeverEvelution ammunitoin is very imprssive and it take the 30-30 out to an extra 100 yards and would work on elk also.

There have been a few Savage Model 99s in 308 poping up on KSL Classifies lately. I grew up hunting deer with on and they are nice but getting harder to find.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
MasLakas said:
You have touched on one of my soft spots. Nothing beats a good lever action rifle in the field.

The 308 Marlin Express fits your needs but will it be like the 307 Winchester and disappear after a few years in any ones guess right now.

The 30-30 will take elk. Using the 170 grn bullets and with proper shot placement I would go after an elk. The Hornady LeverEvelution ammunitoin is very imprssive and it take the 30-30 out to an extra 100 yards and would work on elk also.

There have been a few Savage Model 99s in 308 poping up on KSL Classifies lately. I grew up hunting deer with on and they are nice but getting harder to find.
My dad even took bear in Canada with his 30-30. Out to 100yds with good shot placement it will take most anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts