Utah Guns Forum banner

Backup Guns

4745 Views 30 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Anonymous
As I have read this and other forums I realize that their are a many of you that carry a backup gun. I have always tried to weigh the probability (risk) of meeting up with a deadly threat vs. being prepared. Maybe I've been lucky my whole life but in 48 years, the worst threat I've run into was when I got into playground fist fight in the 6th grade. (Nobody tells me that my girl friend has fleas!)

I am not a statistician but if I understand some of gun stats I've heard I have to ask myself these questions:

1) What do I think is the chance that I will have to actually use my gun to stop a deadly threat?

2) Of that percentage what percentage do I have to actually fire? I've heard that about 90% of the time just producing a gun will scare the BG away.

3) Of that percent what is the percentage that you will have to fire more rounds than are in your magazine. I've read that rarely is more that 3.

4) Also of the percentage in 2) What is the percentage of someone taking your primary gun away and you having enough time to get to your BUG before he uses it against you?

If you take the percent of the percent of the percent you mentally get a pretty small number or risk factor. I probably have a greater chance of being trampled in a stampede of purple Hippos on State Street but like I said before, I am not a statistician. Personally I don't carry a backup gun but as usual others have their own reasons. My thinking is something down the line of if I am in an area that I need more that one gun then I probably shouldn't be in that area. I think that LEO have a totally different needs than CCW citizens and so in my mind have a greater need for a BUG. Also you may work or live in an area that has greater risk than the general public.

What are other's views and reasons for carrying or not carrying a BUG?

BTW - Many of you might be traveling tomorrow and over the weekend. I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and hope that you have a safe year in which you never need to use your gun except for the sheer fun of shooting.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 31 Posts
PW said:
GeneticsDave said:
I refuse to accept that if a certain number of criminals attack me I will lose. I never accept defeat, especially when my life depends on it. I will continue to fight to my last breath. Accepting a defeatist attitude is a sure way to lose when the chips are down.
I admire your optimism! I like to consider myself a realist.

Getting jumped by 10 gang bangers, being able to shoot all 10 before they get you, with a quick stop for a reload in the middle, sounds like a good Hollywood movie to me.

Still not quite sure where you get the idea that I am uncomfortable carrying.... I may be a rookie, but I don't consider myself uncomfortable.

yeah maybe a good movie if this occurred in an open parking lot and all of the BGs are armed. you just never know what your surroundings might be. Why not just be a little more prepared with an extra mag or BUG?
truthfully 95% of the time i carry 12 rounds of .40 the other 5% i carry a backup mag....but i recall exactly what jeff mentioned regarding the off duty LEO at trolley square said. i don't know if he ran out of ammo, but i know he was very concerned about having enough. When i remember this it does make me a little uneasy about my limited ammo. i do have an extra mag in the glove box, and an extra one at work now. i *try* to carry an extra one with me too, i just hate extra stuff in my pockets and until i can get an IWB mag holder i can't carry one on my belt.

i have a friend who carries an XD .40 with only 10 rounds (instead of the 12 it can hold) because "if he can't get 'it' done with 10 rounds, then he wouldn't make it anyway". i think he is silly.
1 - 1 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.