Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just as i was going to call and check the status of my app, i found this in the instuctors newsletter on the Utah BCI site:
<<BCI is receiving numerous telephone calls, emails, etc. from applicants wanting to know the status of their
concealed permit application. BCI personnel are processing applications within the 60 days mandated by
Utah statute. Please inform your students not to call BCI as to check the status of their pending
application. If your student has not received his/her permit after 60 days has passed or received any
correspondence from BCI, then have your student contact BCI to locate the problem.
Most applicants pay using a credit card or by check. The date of their cancelled check or credit on their
credit card indicates what day BCI received the permit application. Applicants need to reference that
date as the start of the processing time, not the date the application was mailed.>>

so as not to be "bottomstacked" i'm gonna wait.... :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like they are feeling the pressure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you know french, you get the idea behind my username...lol

for those who don't, it roughly translates (or at least translates in babblefish from english into french, but not the other way around :roll: ) as "the wait"

because....i'm always waiting, either for my permit, or money pay for something, or my kids, or my car pool, etc etc etc.... :lol2:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
L'attente said:
if you know french, you get the idea behind my username...lol

for those who don't, it roughly translates (or at least translates in babblefish from english into french, but not the other way around :roll: ) as "the wait"

because....i'm always waiting, either for my permit, or money pay for something, or my kids, or my car pool, etc etc etc.... :lol2:
:ROFL: :ROFL: I wondered what it meant. I figured something along the line of ATTENTION or ATTENTIVE.

·
Registered
238 Posts
is it like a 60 day "cool off period"???

I think.....

they get them processed and put them into stacks when to be mailed for the 60 days, like: "DO NOT MAIL TILL SEP. 5TH" :lol2:

well, probably not but it took mine just about the 60 days really really close to the day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think when they say 60 days, that they mean business days not actual days. A lot of people waiting on their permits might not realize this, and wonder why it is taking more than 2 months. I got mine after Trolley Square, and they were way behind, I think they told me it would be 80-95 days or something like that, and it came at about 90 business days. Good luck with the wait.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just took my cfp class this past Saturday. the instructor actually brought up in the class that he has been called by BCI to tell his students to stop calling them. i guess after people call they are taking note on who the instructor is.

i physically took my to paperwork to BCI monday morning and they charged my card monday morning. July 7th. 60 more days to go!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
usSiR said:
is it like a 60 day "cool off period"???
Sorry, but this reminded me of this poster I made a while back...

Back on topic...

The person that continually answers the phone just to say, "Wait 60 days" could instead be helping process applications.

And with the pressure that BCI is under right now to not issue permits to non-residents, we need to cut them some slack. Imagine if the legislature asked them how long it takes to process them and how many calls they get about it? That would be one more motivation for them to pull the plug on non-resident CFPs.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I called, and they told me August 1st is the date they will do my BG check. How long should I wait until I call them back if I don't see anything?

·
Registered
13 Posts
RapidDave-

Wait at least 60 days from the date your check was cashed or card was charged. Call any sooner and you'll be holding up the line for the rest of us.

If it's already been 60 days, and they told you you'll have your BG check on the 1st, I'd wait at least until the 14th to call again if you don't see anything in the mail.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
xRapidDavex said:
How long should I wait until I call them back if I don't see anything?
The first post in the thread is a quote from the BCI saying:

. If your student has not received his/her permit after 60 days has passed or received any
correspondence from BCI, then have your student contact BCI to locate the problem.
I'd say that's pretty fair, and I agree, calling them a bunch will probably just hold them up and get them upset about the applicants.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
powerplaynow said:
RapidDave-

Wait at least 60 days from the date your check was cashed or card was charged. Call any sooner and you'll be holding up the line for the rest of us.

If it's already been 60 days, and they told you you'll have your BG check on the 1st, I'd wait at least until the 14th to call again if you don't see anything in the mail.
Ya, my instructor didn't tell us to not call, so sorry if I stomped on any toes.

My paperwork was submitted on June 2, and I called two days ago to see if I was approved or not. They told me August 1st was the date for the BG check, so I guess I got my answer and will wait two weeks after that date to check back if I don't hear anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll tell ya its tough to wait, especially in light of reports coming in that folks are getting them in less than 50 days.. That and the fact that i to this day still dont know whether BCI has 60 business days or 60 calender days.. I wonder what the process is? if we have recently purchased a firearm at a licensed gun dealer, our ncic check was run before firearm would have been sold to us. I wonder what is involved in the process, like do they go one by one, run the check for each individual and then if the check is clear, issue the permit.. Or is it some batch process, where they dump a pile into the system and then wait for the reporting agencies to respond..Also is the process 60 days because they need to send an inquiry out, wait a specified time, and if no negative response comes back, then issue? I don't know I'm only throwing it out there.. I know that when I got my Sig locally my NCIC was run, they were issues a proceed w/ sale response and I paid and walked out w/ my new Sig.. One thing I do know is that BCI could save alot of impatient calls if they included a FAQ of their process, clarified the ?? of calender or business days, and had at least a weekly update to their site, to the effect "we are currently processing apps dated..." At least then we'd have more of an idea of when..Many, including Tom Petty have said it, "the waiting is the hardest part", ok now I've dated myself, yes I'm a product of the 60's, late 60's :lol2: :lol2:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I know what you mean frank. The first words out of my mouth were "do I have any way of checking myself to see if my permit is approved or not?". I was trying to get across that I wanted a way to do it myself on the :type:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think they have to do substantially more checking than just an instant background check. There are more things than can disqualify you from getting a permit than buying a gun. Alcohol related misdemeanors for instance. So they have to look at all of your criminal record, wait to get fingerprint results from AFIS (FBI) probably check your FBI file, etc. It probably doesn't take 60 days of work, but there's a lot of waiting involved on their end too. Who knows how long the FBI takes to get them the results of a national check?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's what i was thinking.. my thought was that they throw the net out there and wait for the dirt to come should there be any..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yea I have been praying for patience ever since I was a little kid........I JUST WISH THE GOOD LORD WOULD HURRY UP AND GIVE IT TO ME. :nilly:

Tarzan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts