Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that January is the month that the LDS Church has to renew its BCI posting. If you read the law regarding church carry (76-10-530), you will see the requirement that the church must announce the prohibition over the pulpit or in a publication every year. I don't recall the LDS Church doing this since 2004. I think the reason they have been getting away with this is that the BCI's website (http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFChurchNotify.html) does not list this as being a requirement for churches to list with them.

I was wondering if there is anyone willing to call the BCI and let them know that by using this web page (http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFChurchNotify.html), churches are able to be listed without fully complying with the law. I would call them myself, but I'm fairly new to guns and am not very confident in my abilities to come across as being competent. Is there someone with some kind of clout that could contact them?

If the LDS Church expects us to comply with the law, then we should expect them to do so as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
knayrb said:
In my mind the word "may" makes the list of methods in 2(a) - 2(e) as possibilities but not fully inclusive or maybe not even required.
Subsection 2 is not optional. If it were, all of section 76-10-530 would be irrelevant. That a church must give notification is very clear when reading the section from the start:
1) A person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, after notice has been given as provided in Subsection (2) that firearms are prohibited, may not knowingly and intentionally:
In other words, this whole section applies only after notice has been given. If no notice is given, you can legally carry.

When the code says:
(2) Notice that firearms are prohibited may be given by:
it doesn't mean that the church doesn't have to give notice, it simply means that the church may choose the method of notification.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually just searched in the Church Handbook of Instructions Book 1 and it doesn't mention guns or weapons. This book is only made available to bishops and stake presidents, etc., but I have a pdf copy I got off of some anti-Mormon site :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts