Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
TMG said:
I would weigh the risk of not carrying versus the cost of getting a ticket. I wouldn't carry open for all to see, but I would carry.
Odds are that you wouldn't get a ticket even if you got caught. Most likely, your bishop would just say "please don't do that again", and it would end there.

There's another aspect to consider as well, though, and one that applies even outside of Utah. That is the fact that the church leadership has directed members not to bring firearms to church. It's even documented in the bishop's handbook. "Concealed is concealed" doesn't apply to God, and while I'm sure he has no objection to us being armed, it's possible he'd dislike the lack of obedience.

I'm not saying you shouldn't carry, just that you should be sure that you've considered this aspect.

(The rest of this may strike non-LDS people as odd, but recall that we're talking about a church that believes firmly in individual, direct revelation)

To me, it seems like the real answer is that individual members should ask the Lord themselves what he wants them to do. Maybe he wants us to play the role of protector, and maybe he'd prefer we follow the example of the Anti-Nephi-Lehites (Alma 24). I suspect that the answer may well be different for different people -- and it may even change from day to day, per the promptings of the spirit.

FWIW, my personal answer is that I don't generally carry at church. If I happen to forget to take the gun off (hasn't happened but knowing me as I do, it eventually will), I won't sweat it too much, but I won't generally carry. That said, I definitely try to pay attention to the promptings of the spirit, and if I feel prompted to carry, I will.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
PW said:
Are you 100% positive there is an no guns in LDS church policy in the bishops handbook?
I found it in the handbook yesterday, but I didn't do more than glance at the actual text.

I was looking to find out if there was a stated policy on firearms for scouting activities, etc. There didn't appear to be, just the one brief section on firearms in church buildings. Since it was immediately clear it didn't apply to what I was looking for, and because I was in a hurry, I didn't read the section in detail. The gist, however, seemed to be "NO".

The handbook doesn't appear to be available on the lds.org web site, so I can't check it there. I'll look at it in more detail when I get a chance, probably on Sunday. I don't have a copy, but I can borrow one from a member of the bishopric easily enough.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
hamm said:
I actually just searched in the Church Handbook of Instructions Book 1 and it doesn't mention guns or weapons. This book is only made available to bishops and stake presidents, etc., but I have a pdf copy I got off of some anti-Mormon site :).
I Googled it, too, and found what was probably the same site you did. It's a 1998 edition. I imagine the bit about firearms was added around 2004, when the church distributed the statement banning firearms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.