Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I publish a newspaper for my small town twice a month, (circulation 110) and I wrote this for it. Like most writers I write to share and I wanted to share it with you. It sums up why I belive in what we do in the military and my love for ALL servicemen of honor: I know it is a bit long and late (been out of town) but I hope some of you enjoy it.
I am the Wife of a soldier currently in Iraq, I volunteer as a family support leader for 400+ military families; as the daughter of a vet,(1955 Germany), the neice of seven vets,(WWII) the great neice of one vet (WWI) and a second generation american (two grandparents came here through Ellis Island for FREEDOM!). I am appauled at the lack of knowledge about Veteran's Day and the price soldiers and thier families pay for us.
At the eleventh hour of the eleventh day in the eleventh month of 1918 the world rejoiced as the Armistice was signed and the 'war to end all wars' came to a close. Peace would not last. 1937 hostilities broke out in Asia and by 1939 Europe was in turmoil and with the attack on Pearl Harbor the fray engulfed the world in a second Word War. In 1954, after the fighting again ceased, Pres. Dwight D. Eisenhower declared November 11th a day America sets aside to honor those who serve, past and present - Veteran’s Day. On September 11th 2001 America was given yet another wake up call. Those who would take away our freedom, destroy our nation and end our lives came calling on our own soil. After years of attacks with little response these emboldened fanatics killed 2298 of our brothers and sisters that day. Have you forgotten? The luxury of being able to forget about that day is bought for you by the United States Military and paid for daily with the blood, sweat and tears of those who, almost alone in the world, stand between your freedom, peace and safety and face head on an enemy who gives no quarter, responds to no diplomacy, and would erase our culture from the face of the earth. This Sunday take a small part of your day and ponder those who serve. Think of how many stand guard right now between those who hate what you stand for and would destroy your home family and freedom. Recall the living, the wounded, the dead, the wives, and babies, and children, the parents, and grandparents, all parted this holiday season from one they love. Take time to thank those living who lay aside their lives for a time and offer themselves as defenders of a nation. Then pause to remember the dead: In 604 military cemeteries world wide lie 2 million who gave their all, 90,120 U.S. soldiers are listed M.I.A. or lost or buried at sea, 124,913 are interred overseas. Currently Utahan’s deployed number approximately 800 U.S. National Guard Soldiers, Reserve and Air Guardsmen. That means 800 families will celebrate this holiday apart. They are volunteers; they serve because of core values. They are examples of selfless love, courage and commitment to ideals worth fighting for. As Citizens of the only nation on earth who has never taken territory or spoils from a defeated enemy, who rebuilds that which conflict destroys and fight only for security and freedom it behooves each of us to stand up and do more than think about it. This veteran’s day take time to say “THANK YOU” to someone who has served. It should be easier than ever this year for there is one in every town, city and neighborhood in this great land. Thank you for being there for those who serve and Happy Vetern's Day

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Amen & Amen!

I was unable to visit my father on Veterans Day so I made my trip to Camp Williams with my sister yesterday to say hello to our dad, who is interred there. He did not serve in a world war, or Viet Nam however, he did serve during the short lived Czech Revolution as he performed border duty between Czekoslovakia & Germany. He fended off a border raid and spent his time in the hospital as a result of it.
My father is gone now, but he lives on, as does the memory of anyone who ever served this great country. If you have not thanked a veteran for their service and sacrifice please do so. My father was stricken early as a direct result of injuries he sustained fighting for freedom, he was only 65. I miss him and wish he were here today, most especially I miss that he was not able to be there when I married this year, but I know he was there in spirit.
The sacrifices our servicemen & women have made for us should always be respected. I take my hat off to all servicemen and say, "Thank You!" :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts