Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie here (my first post other than my intro in the new members thread), I haven't found any reviews of the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. Based on what I have read on this site so far, there are quite a number of you who are knowledgeable on a number of subjects. Any of you have an opinion of this gun? It is what I own (do not carry yet; gotta get that CFP) and from my experiences on the shooting range, I'm pleased with it.

How does this compare with other guns that you (conceal) carry on a daily basis? I think it is a little too big, despite its name. :p I welcome your opinions/reviews of this gun.

--JP--
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
I think it is a little too big, despite its name. :p I welcome your opinions/reviews of this gun.
I'm sorry but you think a Bersa is too big? Sir, I carry a full frame (5") 1911 on a daily basis. The size of the gun isn't the major issue. It's how you carry it. Smaller is easier to conceal but bigger is not a bad choice. Just choose an easier way to carry it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I think Bersa is at the "OK" range of gun value. Are there better choices? Sure. Are there worse choices? Sure. I think there are more choices in the better than catagory than the latter. I do agree with howlingwolf on one point...the Bersa is small and should be easy to hide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's a matter of perspective, eh? I'm 5'5" and 130 pounds and I was considering a smaller gun, like a .380, but I'm perfectly happy with the Bersa. Anyhoo, I appreciate your comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
JP said:
I guess it's a matter of perspective, eh? I'm 5'5" and 130 pounds and I was considering a smaller gun, like a .380, but I'm perfectly happy with the Bersa. Anyhoo, I appreciate your comments.
JP, I'm the same size as you, and I easily conceal my XD 45 Compact with just a T-shirt. That is with the compact mag, but with a button down shirt I can conceal with the full size mag. If you are happy with your Bersa, great. Bersa makes a good gun. But just so you know, you can conceal a full size handgun on a small frame. I do it every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Alright, since I'm new to the forum too I figured I better get in a bit of board time. I own this firearm and have been concealing it for over a year now. I carry it in a smart carry holster every day.

On an issue of size, I carry all the time on campus and in all sorts of physical situations. I like using a smart carry hoslter because of its deep concealment and ability to keep the gun out of site, no matter what happens. I'm 5'3" and thusly my pant size limit what I can carry in a smart carry holster. All others are restricted to IWB/OWB as ankle carry does not work with my particular situtation.

I routinely carry a 45 single action army six gun on my person on school grounds and off. Its roughly almost a foot long and yet I can fit that on my person with relative ease. However, I like using the smart carry because in daily activities I am sometimes in situations where the best IWB would be revealed as I become upside down or twisted in some unusual manner, or the shirt/jacket covering it is lifted up.

As to the bersa UC 9mm. Its a fairly good gun. Not my favorite range pistol as it takes constant practice to maintain longer range hits. I personally like having something that I can trust to hit near target even if I am not that accurate for some reason, aka flight or fight and/or shot. This is marginal in my book. The gun feeds well, I have not had any FTF of any kind as of yet. But, I also only feed remington range or up. I have not thrown any russian through it. I like the gun because I can also carry the 17 round magazines for the fullsize one in the compact version. I carry an extra 17 round mag with me at all times in case of mag failure,problems, etc. I personally like the external hammer option to be able to transition from DA to SA quickly. I like the addition of a decocker in situations of carry as I can leave the gun in DA mode safety off for quick contact to threat scenarios. I like the field strip capability of the gun, as I typically end up in environments where a field cleaning can do some good on a gun that requires it more often. Unlike a bit more expensive models. Most importantly it was the most accessible and affordable option at the time I was hunting for a gun to buy.

My cons with the gun: I don't like the price of the magazines. They tend to be much more expensive than other guns. The gun does not take recoil as well as other guns I have shot in the same size and caliber. The grip is personally on the margin of too big for my little hands.

Overall its a decent gun for carry. Its certainly personal choice. I would not have problems personally recommending this gun for someone to carry if they want or were loooking at the model. Its been absolutely reliable to me and fairly faithful. I would start to loose trust in it and my abilities at 25 yards and over, with the smaller barrel. But inside defense ranges its a good gun. Hope that helps. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
whiptrackercracker said:
...
I routinely carry a 45 single action army six gun on my person on school grounds and off. Its roughly almost a foot long and yet I can fit that on my person with relative ease. However, I like using the smart carry because in daily activities I am sometimes in situations where the best IWB would be revealed as I become upside down or twisted in some unusual manner, or the shirt/jacket covering it is lifted up.
...
You can carry an 11" long gun in a SmartCarry holster!? You must be built different then I am. :shocked:

I comfortably carry a Glock 27 (.40) in a SmartCarry holster, but When I tried a Springfield 1911 there, it just wasn't comfortable for me.

Nice review!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
whiptrackercracker said:
...
I routinely carry a 45 single action army six gun on my person on school grounds and off. Its roughly almost a foot long and yet I can fit that on my person with relative ease. However, I like using the smart carry because in daily activities I am sometimes in situations where the best IWB would be revealed as I become upside down or twisted in some unusual manner, or the shirt/jacket covering it is lifted up.
...
You can carry an 11" long gun in a SmartCarry holster!? You must be built different then I am. :shocked:

I comfortably carry a Glock 27 (.40) in a SmartCarry holster, but When I tried a Springfield 1911 there, it just wasn't comfortable for me.

Nice review!
Opps!!! Re-reading my post, I realized I did not specify very specifically. :) I only carry the bersa in the smart carry. "All other guns I carry either IWB or OWB." I probably could fit the SAA in the smart carry with some modification but, I'm sure I would not be able to walk well and I'd look rather funny. No the 11" gun sits in an owb holster I made out of leather at about 4 o'clock. About half below the belt line the rest above. I was just commenting on the fact that someone as short and vertically inclined as I can fit large long guns just as easey. I tried fitting a 1911 fullsize in the smart carry once too, it did not fit well. Its one reason I still stick with the bersa when wanting deep concealment. Thanks for the sanity check. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
whiptrackercracker said:
Ignore Spelling Mistakes!!!!! I'm and Electrical Engineer, I can't help it. :)
Use Mozilla Firefox instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer. Firefox is MUCH better and has spell-check built in.

I was just trying to imagine an 11" long gun in a SmartCarry holster, and all I could think of was having a barrel stick down one pant leg or the other. Ow Ow Ow !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
I was just trying to imagine an 11" long gun in a SmartCarry holster, and all I could think of was having a barrel stick down one pant leg or the other. Ow Ow Ow !!!
Just remember what Jack Nicholson (as the Joker) pulled out of his pants to shoot down Batman's airplane... :nilly:
 
G

·
Jeff Johnson said:
Use Mozilla Firefox instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer. Firefox is MUCH better and has spell-check built in.
What is this Microsoft Internet Explorer? Is there an alternative to Fire Fox? I like the google tool bar spell checker better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I'm actually a big fan of that browser. But, a current program platform I am using for my work does not dance well with the browser. Therefore, I am forced sadly to use I.E. Arg!!! :x But google spell check is not a bad idea. :shades:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top