Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in finding the best IWB holster and position for a larger man with stomach/love handles that get in the way. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've never purchased or worn any IWB holster, and would like to start off on the right foot.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Wish I could help...but I don't have a clue.

I might suggest a shoulder holster rig...

Tarzan

·
Registered
542 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:
Wish I could help...but I don't have a clue.

I might suggest a shoulder holster rig...

Tarzan
shoulder rigs never worked for me, but as a bigger guy I say go to cabelas and buy a holster, if you don't like it take it back. thats the one nice thing about big box stores. try a lot of holsters, every one likes different things.

·
Registered
445 Posts
As a big guy myself, I had a HUGE issue with this. I carry a full size and I carry it at about the 2:30 position. I dont think it matters too much what kind of IWB. Mine is a 2 clip model made from HBE Leatherworks. I have had great success in this method. The gun is easy to get at, conceals VERY well, and is very comfortable.
Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I weigh about 250lbs and I am 5'8". I carry with a Crossbread supertuck at about 3-3:30 and it is extremely comfortable. I do have a slight problem with keeping my pants up sometimes, but then I will just notch up my belt a little tighter and it helps. I have also considered using the smart carry for deeper concealment. I carry a XD40 subcompact.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking very closely at the Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment holster, anyone have any opinions on that one?

I'll be taking a look at Crossbreed Supertuck now, too.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sounds to me like you are getting some good advice.

I am big in one direction but not another.

I am 6' 4' and about 200 lb so I don't have the problem some of you other guys do. I tried an IWB holster but didn't like it so thus my suggestion.

The Idea about using Cabela's is a good one caus I have about 5 holsters per gun and I sure don't need that many and I would not have that many if I could have tried them out first.

Tarzan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tarzan1888 said:
The Idea about using Cabela's is a good one caus I have about 5 holsters per gun and I sure don't need that many and I would not have that many if I could have tried them out first.
That is a good idea, and I actually did stop by Cabella's last Saturday, but I was pretty disappointed in the collection of Holsters, it seemed like there was an extremely limited selection -- Obviously with all the different makes and sizes of guns they can't have a nice selection for each make in different styles, but I felt like I couldn't see myself trying anything I found there. But thanks for the suggestion. Any other box-stores with a good selection of Holsters?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
hawkwing said:
Tarzan1888 said:
That is a good idea, and I actually did stop by Cabela's last Saturday, but I was pretty disappointed in the collection of Holsters, it seemed like there was an extremely limited selection -- Obviously with all the different makes and sizes of guns they can't have a nice selection for each make in different styles, but I felt like I couldn't see myself trying anything I found there. But thanks for the suggestion. Any other box-stores with a good selection of Holsters?
There is another choice and that is to shop on line at Cabela's. My local Cabela's didn't have the shoulder rig I wanted fro my 1911, and so when I was in the DFW area, I stopped at the Cabela's there and picked one up. I could have just ordered it and done the same thing.

The last time I was in your Cabela's there at Lehi, I was not that impressed with the selection of holsters, in that store.

Tarzan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got my crossbreed supertuck this week, and I had to post just to let people know what I think.

I am 6' 2" and about 230 lbs, a little love handle action also... :D and while my IWB holster experience has been limited, this is one fantastic holster...comfortable, appears very well made, and much easier to access my Sig P239 than the previous holsters I had tried.

I really can't say enough good about it. Don't be fooled by its simple appearance, this thing rocks!

I have been working on getting my camper ready for a weekend camping trip, and normally I put the gun in a locker in my garage when I am working outside on cars, etc. but this thing was so comfortable, I left it on all day.

I even tucked in my t-shirt, and it was not obvious I was carrying. A different shirt should conceal it completely.

There appear to be a lot of very nice well made holsters out there, but I am content for now...this is great!

I bought it because of some stuff I read on this forum. (Thanks PW!)

Mitch

·
Registered
995 Posts
mynewt-mitch said:
I just got my crossbreed supertuck this week, and I had to post just to let people know what I think.

I am 6' 2" and about 230 lbs, a little love handle action also... :D and while my IWB holster experience has been limited, this is one fantastic holster...comfortable, appears very well made, and much easier to access my Sig P239 than the previous holsters I had tried.

I really can't say enough good about it. Don't be fooled by its simple appearance, this thing rocks!

I have been working on getting my camper ready for a weekend camping trip, and normally I put the gun in a locker in my garage when I am working outside on cars, etc. but this thing was so comfortable, I left it on all day.

I even tucked in my t-shirt, and it was not obvious I was carrying. A different shirt should conceal it completely.

There appear to be a lot of very nice well made holsters out there, but I am content for now...this is great!

Mitch
Buy some extra belt clips ahead of time. That way when they break you won't be without a holster waiting for the new ones to arrive. Seriously though, be gentle with the clips and don't spread them too far while installing or removing the holster. I thought I was being careful but I broke one anyway. It is a comfortable holster though, I just wish the clips were steel/stronger/something.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
althor said:
mynewt-mitch said:

Mitch
Buy some extra belt clips ahead of time. That way when they break you won't be without a holster waiting for the new ones to arrive. Seriously though, be gentle with the clips and don't spread them too far while installing or removing the holster. I thought I was being careful but I broke one anyway. It is a comfortable holster though, I just wish the clips were steel/stronger/something.
The Crossbreed has a lifetime warranty. One of my clips broke about 2 weeks ago. I called Crossbreed told them what happened. They took my name and address and within 3 days I had 2 new clips in my mailbox. I only broke 1 and told them that, but they sent 2 clips AND they send more hardware to attach the clips! Bravo to Crossbreed.

·
Registered
995 Posts
PW said:
The Crossbreed has a lifetime warranty. One of my clips broke about 2 weeks ago. I called Crossbreed told them what happened. They took my name and address and within 3 days I had 2 new clips in my mailbox. I only broke 1 and told them that, but they sent 2 clips AND they send more hardware to attach the clips! Bravo to Crossbreed.
As I mentioned in another discussion, the same thing happened to me, except that as I was describing what happened and what I wanted to get I was quickly told to go to the internet site to order what I needed, so that the 'customer service rep' I was talking to could take another call! I didn't press the issue or get very assertive, I was instead somewhat stunned by the way I was being blown off. So this is their feedback.

It is still a comfortable holster, it just has some minor issues...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
In a similar thread I too talked about having this issue with their clips. I never tried to get new one's under their warranty, I just ordered a few new sets. They aren't all that expensive and they don't break all that frequently so I don't know that I mind all that much. That being said, metal clips would be far better.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I guess I would like to throw another $.02 worth. I know I am new to carrying, so I dont have a ton of experience, but I can say the holster I have DOES have metal clips. Its a great rig, and the guy that made it took the time to show me how it works, and what to expect and gave me pointers on wearing it based on my body shape/size.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record on this subject, but I do feel I have done EXTENSIVE research on holsters before I made my purchase. A holster in my opinion is the most important investment you can make(next to your gun itself of course)

Also, like I have mentioned in other threads, he is local and if you are even close to Bountiful/North Salt Lake, he can have one made for you and you can pick it up from his house within about 3 days and he will charge less because he doesnt have to ship it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sounds promising... you got pics, a website, or a phone # or something for the guy???

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Wow, his work DOES LOOK NICE! Not to mention that you get a real impression that he takes a lot of pride in his work and takes customer service seriously. I might have to contact him and see if he can work something up for me that I've been wanting lately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts