Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to check out AR-15 models from several companies: Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS. Shooting them would be the best, but I'd be happy to just handle and hold them for a few minutes. I have done a lot of reading and have found that most people say that all are good quality, so now it is down to which one feels the best in my hands.

What stores/ranges (preferably in Utah County) carry these brands? Most seem to have Bushmaster, but the others have been harder to find. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
I am interested in this same info... planning on buying a shotty and an AR-15 lower within the next few weeks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
I don't know about Utah county, but FBMG, Doug's and Get Some are great places to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
doconix said:
I want to check out AR-15 models from several companies: Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS. Shooting them would be the best, but I'd be happy to just handle and hold them for a few minutes. I have done a lot of reading and have found that most people say that all are good quality, so now it is down to which one feels the best in my hands.

What stores/ranges (preferably in Utah County) carry these brands? Most seem to have Bushmaster, but the others have been harder to find. Thanks.
They are all good brands. My advice is, drive around the point of the mountain and talk to James at FBMG. That guy knows more about stoners baby than anyone I have ever met. They carry stags and have good prices. He can answer any question you might have, and let you handle a pile of AR's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
I second FBMG. Doug's, Get Some, and Impact Guns up here in Ogden have quite a few in stock.

I think Rock River makes the best bang for the buck right now. Stags are OK but I like the tight fit of the Rock Rivers as well as their accuracy, and the two stage triggers. Check out Noveske, LMT, Sabre Defense, Charles Daly, and Colt while you are at it. I have a couple friends with Bushmasters and I have a gun with Bushmaster parts but recently it seems like their quality has gone down. DPMS is OK depending on the model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
MarshallDodge said:
I second FBMG. Doug's, Get Some, and Impact Guns up here in Ogden have quite a few in stock.

I think Rock River makes the best bang for the buck right now. Stags are OK but I like the tight fit of the Rock Rivers as well as their accuracy, and the two stage triggers. Check out Noveske, LMT, Sabre Defense, Charles Daly, and Colt while you are at it. I have a couple friends with Bushmasters and I have a gun with Bushmaster parts but recently it seems like their quality has gone down. DPMS is OK depending on the model.
My stags both have Rock rivers two stage nm trigger in them( one is on a CMMG lower), as well as my POF, but then it has a full RRA lower. Good advice Marshaldodge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
fnfnc64 said:
My stags both have Rock rivers two stage nm trigger in them( one is on a CMMG lower), as well as my POF, but then it has a full RRA lower. Good advice Marshaldodge
Thanks. In case the original poster does not realize this, most AR parts will interchange. There are some exceptions, Colt trigger pins for example, that will not interchange. I put a Rock River two stage in my DPMS LR-308 and it required a little bit of fitting but it was well worth it. :crown:

I would like to get a POF lower to build my next project on. 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
doconix said:
... so now it is down to which one feels the best in my hands...
Basically every AR is going to feel the same in your hand as they are all standard sizes, etc. with interchangeable parts. There will be some difference in weight based on how you build your gun, but as far as the actual feel in your hand, they are the same. A few things that can make then feel better in your hand are upgrading parts. Custom pistol grips, telestock, forward grip, barrel length, etc. all make a difference. As far as a base standard stock AR, if you were blindfolded you probably couldn't tell a difference between any of them though.

Oh yeah, and to answer your original question: Get Some, Dougs, Impact, all carry lots of AR's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Good advice is being given here, but I too have been VERY happy with my Rock River. You talked about the "feel" of the gun, and I really like the Hogue grips that come with the Rock River AR's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I find it interesting that the feel of the gun has been mentioned so much here. As far as Im concerned the feel is all in the accesories. The guns, when set up the same, will all feel the same. There may be tiny differences in fit and finish between the different manufacturers, but when it comes right down to it, one AR is going to feel like another. Thats not to say the quality will be the same, but that would be very hard to judge by feel. You arent going to go wrong with an RRA, CMMG, Stag, Bushmaster, etc. There are one or two brands I would avoid, but Im not going to mention them.
As for feell, well, I like railed flat top carbines. My favorite carbine stock is the VLTOR mod stock, but magpuls CTR is nice too. I prefer tango downs forward grip. And I like the magpul MIAD grip. But then thats me. There are a million different ways you can set up an AR, and thats where the "feel" part of it is going to come into play. How its set up. The brand of gun you choose will have very little to do with that.
Good luck :shades:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
FBMG!!! They are awesome. Went down last week and Larry let me hold everything! Very cool... :thumbsup:
Yeah they are Dave! Very cool place. Next time you run down give me a heads up. If I'm free, I'll go with ya-even split the gas$ :shades:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
fnfnc64 said:
GeneticsDave said:
FBMG!!! They are awesome. Went down last week and Larry let me hold everything! Very cool... :thumbsup:
Yeah they are Dave! Very cool place. Next time you run down give me a heads up. If I'm free, I'll go with ya-even split the gas$ :shades:
I am still trying to find a buffer tube... FBMG is out :crying:

Would love to head down some time :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Dave
If your talking lower receiver extension tubes for an AR carbine, I ordered one not long ago from RRA, and it showed up quick. The last two I have purchased came with the VLTOR modstocks I was buying. There are two different diameters, so make sure you get the one that will work with what ever stock you plan on using (Im sure you already knew that, just thought I would toss it in on the off chance)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
Yeah, I have to make sure to get the mil-spec as opposed to the commercial tube. How much was yours from RRA and do you have a link?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I have the CTR on my sig. Your gonna like it! One of the reasons I went with the CTR there is that sig doesnt do a milspec tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
doconix said:
I want to check out AR-15 models from several companies: Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS. Shooting them would be the best, but I'd be happy to just handle and hold them for a few minutes. I have done a lot of reading and have found that most people say that all are good quality, so now it is down to which one feels the best in my hands.

What stores/ranges (preferably in Utah County) carry these brands? Most seem to have Bushmaster, but the others have been harder to find. Thanks.
Gunnies in Orem let me check out their ARs whenever i went. never really gave me a hard time. AND they seemed pretty gun friendly when i went just 2 weeks ago. Asked me to sign in, i did, checkout out their 10/22s and left. no issues. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top