Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and cashed my paycheck this morning at WaMu, got back $100 from it, filled up the gas tank and went over to Big 5 in Orem (corner of University Parkway and State Street). Went in and told the guy Charles that I had been earlier this week and looked at the M44 Russian rifle and wanted to buy it. He said okay and another lady behind the counter started to help me. She gave me the paperwork to fill out and I gave her my Utah State Driver's License and Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (I was open-carrying, btw). She asked if the address on my license was current. I said no, it is on the back. According to the Driver's License Division and BCI you only need to have it updated in their computer. Technically you don't even have to write it on the back of the license but I do (both DL and CFP). She went and asked Charles if it was okay that they weren't current on the front. She came back and asked if I had any government document with my current address on it. I said no, only a pay stub from my work (a security guard company). She told me I needed something current and that it was a Big 5 policy. I said I don't have anything and if you called BCI they would confirm the address. She didn't and said again it was Big 5 policy and needed something current. They put the M44 on hold for me, went home, don't have anything because we just moved (the same day as the WVC City Council meeting). So I have to go spend $18 at the DLD on Monday to get a new license so I can buy this M44 that is currently on sale ($89.99). They gave me a piece of paper so I could still get it at the sell price but yeah, no new gun for me today. :( I checked Sportman's Warehouse in Provo but they don't carry that rifle.

What say you?

PS: Frankly I'm getting upset with gun stores.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know where you're coming from.

Had something similar happen when I bought my XD. Because I am not citizen (legal permanent resident, but almost there) I need to bring in not just a current utility bill but 4 months worth just to prove I had been in state for at least 90 days. Despite the fact that my DL is dated 05 and my CFP is dated 07. Wouldn't been so bad but the store was in SLC and I live in Bountiful. Luckily I was able to leave work early that day so I made it back before they closed with the necessary papers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the same problem with the Big 5 in Bountiful....

I went home all the way to Ogden to get a utility bill.
Now I have my CWP with my current address and the drivers licence still has the old one.

Sorry man it sucks. Is the rule a little too bit? Yeah since you have the CWP. If you didnt I would say no.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Um, sounds like you should have just said it was current.

Plus, they don't have to do a background check on you if you have a CFP.Interesting, they are usually really good with their customer service.

·
Registered
397 Posts
thx997303 said:
Um, sounds like you should have just said it was current.

Plus, they don't have to do a background check on you if you have a CFP.Interesting, they are usually really good with their customer service.
They don't have to do a background check however they are required to call BCI and confirm that your permit is still valid.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, then I guess I was wrong. Though I don't see how YOUR ADDRESS plays any part in whether you can buy a gun or not.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got this back from Big 5 Sporting Goods:

Dear Mr. Hall,

Thank you for utilizing our Customer Feedback Page at www.big5sportinggoods.com. In regards to your inquiry, unfortunately it is a federal requirement to provide a valid government-issued photo-identification that contains your name, current residence address, and date of birth. They also accept a combination of government-issued documents, which is why we would be able to use another document (property-tax, car registration, Social Security documents, etc) in conjunction with your driver’s license. We regret being unable to complete the firearm sale without meeting this requirement, but unfortunately we have to comply with these regulations.

Thank you for your interest in our products and services.

Sincerely,

Leah Tanzy-Roberts - Operations Manager - Big 5 Sporting Goods
2525 E. El Segundo Blvd. - El Segundo, CA 90245
:) 310-297-7622 - 7: 310-297-7590 - *: [email protected]
Interesting... Anyone ever hear this?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Outsider said:
I got this back from Big 5 Sporting Goods:

Dear Mr. Hall,

Thank you for utilizing our Customer Feedback Page at http://www.big5sportinggoods.com. In regards to your inquiry, unfortunately it is a federal requirement to provide a valid government-issued photo-identification that contains your name, current residence address, and date of birth. They also accept a combination of government-issued documents, which is why we would be able to use another document (property-tax, car registration, Social Security documents, etc) in conjunction with your driver’s license. We regret being unable to complete the firearm sale without meeting this requirement, but unfortunately we have to comply with these regulations.

Thank you for your interest in our products and services.

Sincerely,

Leah Tanzy-Roberts - Operations Manager - Big 5 Sporting Goods
2525 E. El Segundo Blvd. - El Segundo, CA 90245
:) 310-297-7622 - 7: 310-297-7590 - *: [email protected]
Interesting... Anyone ever hear this?
Interesting - you got a name....I would be all over it and giving Ms Roberts a call. It is also my understanding that all they need to do is verify the permit that you have. Did you call her?

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Outsider said:
No, I didn't call. Too tired this morning to argue.
It'd be a good idea to review the exact regulations first. We have some FFLs on here, anyone got a pointer to the regs?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
swillden said:
Outsider said:
No, I didn't call. Too tired this morning to argue.
It'd be a good idea to review the exact regulations first. We have some FFLs on here, anyone got a pointer to the regs?
I e-mailed BCI tonight and so hopefully they will send me a reply back. But yeah, anything you know, FFLs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts