Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the Boy Scout rules on open and concealed carry? On an overnighter with just my troop? At the local office? At an organized scout camp?

Does anyone know where to find the official rules from the Boy Scouts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
doconix said:
What are the Boy Scout rules on open and concealed carry? On an overnighter with just my troop? At the local office? At an organized scout camp?

Does anyone know where to find the official rules from the Boy Scouts?
Guide to safe scouting:
VIII:
Except for law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, firearms shall not be brought on camping, hiking, backpacking, or other Scouting activities except those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a currently certified BSA or National Rifle Association firearms instructor.

LINKY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
doconix said:
What are the Boy Scout rules on open and concealed carry? On an overnighter with just my troop? At the local office? At an organized scout camp?

Does anyone know where to find the official rules from the Boy Scouts?
Don't ask don't tell.

I am a Scout Master.

This last week I took my troop camping and I also took my .357 Magnum.

While camping we all did some target shooting with my revolver.

Everyone went home smiling. :D

If you take it, then CC.

Tarzan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:
Don't ask don't tell.
Tarzan
+1

just so long as you are aware of the "offical" stance of BSA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it would be against the rules. Amazing that scoutmasters are unable to protect the kids from four and two-legged predators on campouts.

This last week I took my troop camping and I also took my .357 Magnum.

While camping we all did some target shooting with my revolver.

Everyone went home smiling. :D
Aren't you opening yourself up to problems with this, though? If you are CC and no one ever knows, fine. But if you do target shooting, I can see one or more (antigun) parents getting very upset when Jonny comes home and tells how much fun he had shooting your gun. Things could go sour pretty quickly, couldn't they?

Personally, I can't imagine going to the mountains without a handgun. I've seen black bears, mountain lions, and very scary humans right here in Utah. My 9mm might not do much to a black bear, but it's still better than throwing my scout book at it. And it certainly would scare away mountain lions and humans.

Down South I've also run into the "schools for troubled teens" groups several times. These are the groups who take "bad" kids hiking and turn them around. I have every respect for these schools, but having some protection is nice when camping near these groups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
doconix said:
I figured it would be against the rules. Amazing that scoutmasters are unable to protect the kids from four and two-legged predators on campouts.

This last week I took my troop camping and I also took my .357 Magnum.

While camping we all did some target shooting with my revolver.

Everyone went home smiling. :D
Aren't you opening yourself up to problems with this, though? If you are CC and no one ever knows, fine. But if you do target shooting, I can see one or more (antigun) parents getting very upset when Jonny comes home and tells how much fun he had shooting your gun. Things could go sour pretty quickly, couldn't they?

Personally, I can't imagine going to the mountains without a handgun. I've seen black bears, mountain lions, and very scary humans right here in Utah. My 9mm might not do much to a black bear, but it's still better than throwing my scout book at it. And it certainly would scare away mountain lions and humans.

Down South I've also run into the "schools for troubled teens" groups several times. These are the groups who take "bad" kids hiking and turn them around. I have every respect for these schools, but having some protection is nice when camping near these groups.
I have taken my boys shooting many times and when I go to the range with multiple guns I require each boy to have a dad present.

If I have 1 gun and multiple shooters, I can easily control that situation.

I have no anti-parents but if I did I would be more careful and keep my guns concealed.

The bottom line is I am wanted and needed as Scout Master. They take me, they take my guns and they knew that when they asked me to be Scout Master, for the second time.

The truth is that the number of scouts who went on this last trip, when up when I told them I would take my .357 and allow them to shoot it. I got both more scouts and more parents.

Tarzan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
I have been a scoutmaster for years. I love the scouting program. However, the "Official" stance on guns is idiotic. I am positive they have their policy for liability issues.

I echo others sentiments. TAKE YOUR GUN. BSA needs good leaders and noone is going to give you the boot because you bring a gun.

My scouts love shooting and have shot many of my handguns and my AR15 multiple times. If we are shooting .22's long rifles only, I don't mind having multiple shooters. However if we are shooting my handguns, there is 1 shooter at at time and I don't leave their side! Nothing makes a scout more exicted about coming on camps or to activities than when there are guns involved!

Just don't have an accident and IMO there will never be a problem. If parents have a problem with guns....thats another story and I have no experience with that. I am snotty enough though, I would ignore their concerns....noone pays me to be a scoutmaster. If the BSA (or ward) doesn't like how I run the program they can find someone else to do it.

-PW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Ishpeck said:
Screw the BSA.
I'm not sure if what your meaning or intention is, but the BSA has done more for gun safety and gun knowledge than the NRA will ever do. There are millions of gun owners today that gained their knowledge and interest in guns from earning merit badges and shooting with fellow scouts.

You may not be perfectly happy with the BSA (or it's liability-reducing no-guns policy - which by the way, I've NEVER observed on a campout), but making an insidious statement like this does nothing to help our cause.

Maybe I'm a bit touchy because just last night I had the great privilege of pinning an Eagle pin on a young man that would be all but lost to the world if it weren't for the Scouting program and leaders (including myself) who've put in THOUSANDS of hours on his behalf.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
apollosmith said:
Ishpeck said:
Screw the BSA.
I'm not sure if what your meaning or intention is, but the BSA has done more for gun safety and gun knowledge than the NRA will ever do. There are millions of gun owners today that gained their knowledge and interest in guns from earning merit badges and shooting with fellow scouts.
I agree. Many young men learn safety and gun handling from the BSA. I know a lot of young men that shoot a gun for the very first time on a scout trip.

To Ishpeck: You seem to be a man of few words. Most of your posts are very short. Many of them are also somewhat combative. I for one would love to hear why you feel the way you do. Take a few extra minutes and post a bit more about why you feel the way you do. In my ever so humble opinion, just making combative statements doesn't help in any way. I know its hard to communicate sarcasm, frusturation, and other tonal messages through typing. Maybe you are just being sarcastic or cynical in your posts, but it is sure hard to understand what you are trying to contribute. Give us more, many of us are hungry! :D :D :D

-PW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
PW said:
I have been a scoutmaster for years. I love the scouting program. However, the "Official" stance on guns is idiotic. I am positive they have their policy for liability issues.

I echo others sentiments. TAKE YOUR GUN. BSA needs good leaders and noone is going to give you the boot because you bring a gun.

My scouts love shooting and have shot many of my handguns and my AR15 multiple times. If we are shooting .22's long rifles only, I don't mind having multiple shooters. However if we are shooting my handguns, there is 1 shooter at at time and I don't leave their side! Nothing makes a scout more exicted about coming on camps or to activities than when there are guns involved!

Just don't have an accident and IMO there will never be a problem. If parents have a problem with guns....thats another story and I have no experience with that. I am snotty enough though, I would ignore their concerns....noone pays me to be a scoutmaster. If the BSA (or ward) doesn't like how I run the program they can find someone else to do it.

-PW
Hay PW;

I knew there was something I liked about you. :D

I agree with you completly.

Tarzan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
apollosmith said:
Ishpeck said:
Screw the BSA.
I'm not sure if what your meaning or intention is, but the BSA has done more for gun safety and gun knowledge than the NRA will ever do. There are millions of gun owners today that gained their knowledge and interest in guns from earning merit badges and shooting with fellow scouts.

You may not be perfectly happy with the BSA (or it's liability-reducing no-guns policy - which by the way, I've NEVER observed on a campout), but making an insidious statement like this does nothing to help our cause.

Maybe I'm a bit touchy because just last night I had the great privilege of pinning an Eagle pin on a young man that would be all but lost to the world if it weren't for the Scouting program and leaders (including myself) who've put in THOUSANDS of hours on his behalf.
Amen! Having grown up a scout and since served as an asistant scout master, I full heartedly believe in the program. Although their rules about firearms may not fully comply with my beliefs about firearms, I in no way hold that against the program. I can understand why they are there (liability) and can respect that.
 
G

·
My first shots were fired at a BSA camp -- at least I think... it's always so ambiguous which outings are BSA-related and which are just Church related.

But anybody who tells me not to defend myself and the boys who's lives are entrusted to me needs to pull their head out of their rectum.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
Ishpeck said:
My first shots were fired at a BSA camp -- at least I think... it's always so ambiguous which outings are BSA-related and which are just Church related.

But anybody who tells me not to defend myself and the boys who's lives are entrusted to me needs to pull their head out of their rectum.
Ishpeck, thanks for explaining a bit more. Your posts always make me grin, or leave me scratching my head, because I never quite know what you are trying to say exactly. Maybe thats half the fun....we are always left guessing exactly what you are trying to get at. I think I could start making a book of Ishpeck famous one line quotes. Some of them are great. Like I said in my earlier post, just give us a bit more (we can't read "silly" from 2 words!) Mindless babble that noone can interpret the meaning of quickly gets tossed aside and ignored...

-PW

***For the record, I don't think I have used the word "Liberal" once in any of my posts. :wink: :wink: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
PW said:
Mindless babble that noone can interpret the meaning of quickly gets tossed aside and ignored...
Or misinterpreted and starts a senseless flame-war...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Ishpeck said:
... it's always so ambiguous which outings are BSA-related and which are just Church related...
This brings up a good point. If the BSA doesn't like something about your activity, don't go on a "Scout" activity, go on a "Church" activity. This of course doesn't mean you can't work on Merit Badges. Sometimes this ambiguity can be your friend.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
That might be a valid option for most. I however, am required by my Stake Presidency to fill out and turn in a copy of a completed BSA Tour Permit for each Venture activity that takes us further than the boundaries of the Salt Lake valley. That would negate the whole "going as a church" group idea.

Then again, don't ask, don't tell? To each his own.
 
G

·
The rule is: If I posted it on a web forum or other online resource, I'm at least 50% joking.

If I say it, I'm at least 60% joking.

The only thing I ever truly mean is my silence.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
Ishpeck said:
The only thing I ever truly mean is my silence.
I'm telling you, I am going to write a book called "Ishpeck One-Liners" and this will be the first one. Keep 'em coming. (Just kidding about the book, I don't have time for that, but I think it could be on a bestseller list if someone did it.) :lol:

-PW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
T-Man said:
Ishpeck said:
... it's always so ambiguous which outings are BSA-related and which are just Church related...
This brings up a good point. If the BSA doesn't like something about your activity, don't go on a "Scout" activity, go on a "Church" activity. This of course doesn't mean you can't work on Merit Badges. Sometimes this ambiguity can be your friend.
We just got a new leader for the 14 and 15 year old boys.

Old one almost never went on a "Scouting Acitivity" and never got tour permits and did lots of fun stuff with the boys that might have been frowned on by BSA.

Tarzan
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top