Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got thinking about this because I need to go pick up some Forest Service Maps. Can I carry a concealed firearm into the local Forest Service building? Its just one of those small Forest Service Buildings where they sell maps and books and get passing through tourists to stop.

I read through most of the laws I could find and couldn't really get a clear answer on this. In the Federal laws it basically says you can't carry into any Federal Building. But then I found places where it also said that these Federal Buildings had to be "secure" and have signs posted. I am pretty sure that your small town local tourist Forest Service Building is not a "secure" area and has no signs posted.

So what do you guys think?

-PW

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THis is the first time I have ever heard you can carry in a Post Office. I thought this was a big NO-NO. Anywhere I can get more info on this. I go to the post office for work related issues probably once a week, and it would sure be nice to take my gun with me. Any links or any official places we can get more info on the Post Office issue from. At my local post office there is not a single "No guns" sign or anything else and it definetly isn't "secure."

I had wondered about carrying in a courthouse that is not "secure". THe courthouses up here in Logan are definetely not secure by the legal definition. I had figured you could probably make a good legal defense that you were carrying there legally because they aren't secure, but I'm not sure and would hate to be the case that further defines the law. If it is required that the location be secure then IMO you can go darn near anywhere you want. The only 2 locations I have ever been that have been secure are airports and the local jail (I have taken my scouts there on tours several times).

Any LEO out there to further clarify this.....?

-PW

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I have looked into this a bit more I think that the law says you can't carry in any Federal building. However, who the freak is ever going to know or care if you carry into a Forest Service building.....Not sure what would happen if caught, but the more I carry I am absolutely convinced you would have to do something pretty careless to ever be made. Get a good holster, conceal well and go whereever you personally feel comfortable. The chance of being made are extremelly low in my opinion.

-PW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.