Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to emission and inspect my car here soon, and my check engine light keeps coming on and off, which will fail me quick like a bunny. Does anyone know where I can get the code checked out so I know what to fix? I've called around and been quoted like $70 JUST to plug it in and check the code (Big O). Other places aren't much better. I'm trying to save a little money to buy a new gun, but this is killing it. It's a '95 Taurus

·
Registered
542 Posts
Narcisist said:
I've got to emission and inspect my car here soon, and my check engine light keeps coming on and off, which will fail me quick like a bunny. Does anyone know where I can get the code checked out so I know what to fix? I've called around and been quoted like $70 JUST to plug it in and check the code (Big O). Other places aren't much better. I'm trying to save a little money to buy a new gun, but this is killing it. It's a '95 Taurus
auto zone and checker. that's where i get mine plugged in. always free!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Oh man, I have a code checker for Fords, but the plug got smashed. I coulda helped ya, but dang. Outta luck there my friend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if you got any testing done yet, but if you take the battery cables off for a couple hours then put them back on, this resets it sometimes, Could be just enough to get you past the machines. If you didn't click your gas cap 3 times after getting gas, and the light comes on this is the reset for "most" check engine lights.
Good luck

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah auto zone or checker usually has scanners for you to use.

All check engine light codes will not fail the emissions test for you, since your car is a 95 it will use the sniffer test, just as long as your pollutant levels are good you'll be fine, but you would want to know what the code is if it's an O2 sensor or something that has to do with emission controls

When you do get the codes checked let us know what it is

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Also when you go to Auto Zone or Checker, take a paper and pen. Look at the screen and write down the code that comes up.

Sometimes you get a tech that's very knowledgeable and other times they don't know what they are talking about so it's good to get the exact code displayed on the hand-held scanner.

When you get back to a computer you can look up what that code means for your car.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think on 91-97 American cars you can turn the key from the off to the on position 3 times, not start just on, and the check engine light will blink a number of times, count the number and thats the code that the computer is throwing. Look it up online and then get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it's a '95 Taurus, your car has an OBD 1 computer. Auto Zone (or probably anyone else) will not be able to pull your codes for free. They only do OBD 2 (96-present). Your gonna need the special "Ford" code reader. Thats why Big O said $70. They are pretty proud of their special little code reader. :disgusted:

There may be a way to read the codes from a flashing "Check Engine" light, but you have to jumper one of the terminals in the Diagnostics Connector to ground. If you can get your hands on the Haynes or Chilton repair manual (maybe the library), you'll probably find instructions in there on how to do it yourself.

Sorry man........ That sucks. I've been there.

ETA:

If your at all mechanically or electrically inclined, here are instructions on how to pull codes yourself.

http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-c ... ecoder.htm

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ty said:
I think on 91-97 American cars you can turn the key from the off to the on position 3 times, not start just on, and the check engine light will blink a number of times, count the number and thats the code that the computer is throwing. Look it up online and then get it fixed.
Thats a Chrysler thing, dodge, plymouth, jeep , eagle... and they still do it
I think on fords you can jumper the pins on the diagnostic connector and get the same kind of result, I don’t know for sure, I haven’t owned a ford in a long time

·
Registered
342 Posts
usSiR said:
Ty said:
Thats a Chrysler thing, dodge, plymouth, jeep , eagle... and they still do it
I think on fords you can jumper the pins on the diagnostic connector and get the same kind of result, I don’t know for sure, I haven’t owned a ford in a long time
Ahh thought it was all American cars, my bad. My jeep was the first car I ever owned with a computer, 60's and 70's trucks and jeeps were all I drove. I know it doesn't work on 98, 99 jeeps, it got screwed up when they switched to OBD 2 computer. I had to buy a scanner at harbor freight to get the codes off my 98 wrangler :crying: late 99's and on it shows the codes on the odometer instead of blinking the check engine light but I didn't think that info would have helped him with his 95. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scott.pete06 said:
auto zone and checker. that's where i get mine plugged in. always free!
Autozone does '96 and up. My father-in-law works there part-time.

justintime said:
I don't know if you got any testing done yet, but if you take the battery cables off for a couple hours then put them back on, this resets it sometimes, Could be just enough to get you past the machines. If you didn't click your gas cap 3 times after getting gas, and the light comes on this is the reset for "most" check engine lights.
Good luck
My wife forgets that gas cap thing all the time. I did the battery cable thing after I played with some stuff, too.

Ty said:
This works on my wife's '95 voyager, but not my ford.

Anyway, I ended up playing with some common causes for the check engine light, swapped the o2 sensors at the junk yard, used the awesome power of my lungs to get the egr valve to move, :ack: (that's what I think the problem is cause it took like 15 seconds of heavy effort to get that thing to pop), then unhooked the cables and the light stayed off long enough to pass emissions, :crown: sweet, then it turned on again on the way home. :ROFL: I laughed my butt off.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You can buy the FORD code reader for under $40.00, so don't pay someone more than that to do it...
I have one somewhere, I would just have to dig it up if you need to use it...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was a manager at autozone a while back, they have the ability to check the codes on older vehicles but most employees don't know how to do it. Just find an employee in a grey shirt and ask them if someone can pull some obd1 codes on your ford, they should be able to help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
justintime said:
Good luck
Our POS minivan does that...so annoying....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
L'attente said:
Our POS minivan does that...so annoying....
Believe me, I feel your pain. . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts