Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is again upon us, and I'll be heading to the mountains with my kids. Does anyone have suggestions for carrying a pistol with a large internal-frame backpack? I'd like to carry my pistol in a robust, secure way while hiking, with it quickly accessible if needed. Here's some of the issues I hit last summer:

• IWB or OWB (reg side holster carry): Internal frame packs have large belts, so carrying IWB or OWB is out. The belt takes most of the weight and needs to be tight against my body. Smashing the gun between the pack belt and my body is not a good thing.[/*]
  • Shoulder Carry: The shoulder straps of the backpack get in the way. Same problems as OWB.[/*]
  • Pack Belt Carry: I've tried strapping the holster to the thick, padded pack belt itself. This actually held it very securely last summer, but the gun hits the dirt every time I drop the pack. It got the gun really dirty and I started moving it to a different location when we'd stop so it stayed clean. It's a pain (and not really safe) to move the gun every time we take a break so I can take the pack off and put it on the ground.[/*]

Any bright ideas? Or even just ideas? :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re: MOLLE style loops - Yes, my backpack has these, two on each side. That's an excellent idea because it would keep it up higher on the pack. I don't have a picture of my backpack, and since it is 15 years old, I wouldn't be able to find a picture. It's stored away right now. But I know exactly what you are talking about, and it would work great.

re: leg holster - I considered this; I really like the idea because it keeps the firearm on ME all the time, where it should be. Does anyone use these regularly when hiking? Are they comfortable? Do they get in the way of pockets? They are a bit nerdy -- if I was military, it would look great, but as a hiker I'd get weird looks out of people. Here comes the gun nut up the trail! Just like the scout in every troop that had a bunch of big knives on every campout (no offense anyone :)). No big if I don't know them, but when hiking with friends or ward/neighborhood members, it certainly makes a statement. So I always turned away from them. Anyone feel the same, or am I just self conscious? Perhaps I'll give it another look.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to check them both out at the store.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.