Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My name is Justin. My wife and I are considering taking the CCW class at Cabela's on the 23rd, but it may be cost prohibitive. I was born and raised in Massachusetts where the firearm laws are sickeningly strict and I am loving living in a Concervative state. Just looking around for information and what not.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Welcome Justin.

I can understand the cost problem. If you check on this forum or adds you might find a cheaper class.

I received a Cabela's add in the mail yesterday and they have a Taurus hammerless .38 Special model 85 Ultralight on sale for $299 right now.

I would recommend a revolver fro anyone who is just starting out, and if you don't like the hammerless , they do have others in many different configurations.

Good Luck,

Tarzan

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
:welcome:

What is your budget for a new firearm and experience with them? There are lots of great inexpensive semi-autos and revolvers for under $350. new and even less expensive used. A little 5 shot .357 Mag revolver (they also fire .38sp) is often a great choice. :D

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
:welcome: from Bountiful! Glad to have you in the Great State of Utah!

If you are looking for a semi-auto, I would recommend a Springfield XD in the caliber of your choice. They start at around $400. If you are new to firearms, perhaps a revolver in .357 Magnum would be a better option as it is easier to use and maintain.

If you have questions, please ask.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome,

Cost can be very frustrating. Try staggering your class from hers. As far as guns, the XD seams to be popular. The big question is what is expensive to you. You can get a very good revolver for under $450. You can also get a very good Kimber for under $1000. Set your budget and then find what is doable in that range. Again, welcome to the forum. Also dont pass up on reading "Utah Gun Law with 'Plain Talk' Summaries" by Attorney James D. "Mitch" Vilos. The book is even better than his own CC class.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Welcome aboard. Post often and have fun.
I can't believe so many people are recommending revolvers! Yikes! I would get a semi-auto anything. As Dave said, if you can afford it get an XD (any one). If money is tighter look at any KelTec. They are inexpensive ($200 used to $300 new), carry a lifetime warranty, come in several calibers, and are very reliable (I have 3). KelTecs are a great starter gun. I have nothing against revolvers....except I think they are ugly, not near as cool as autos, they are thicker (which is an issue for carrying) and darn it, they only carry 5-6 rounds! But thats just me. Most important is to get something you like and are comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Welcome. Also look at the Rossi line of revolvers. The 461 is a 6 shot 357 that can handle +P also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, you all rock! I appreciate the indepth and prompt response. I feel very welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome! As for your question about a decent inexpensive gun I would say go down to Dougs Shoot n Sports, Get Some or one of the many other gun shops around, tell them what you want to spend and handle everything in your price range. Chances are you will find something you like. Don't be afraid to look at used guns either, we got a screamin deal on my wifes Kahr PM9 because it was slightly used. I know that Dougs and Get Some both have guns to rent and if you buy one from Dougs they will apply the cost of the rental to your purchase

:welcome:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome from Cache Valley.

If you are both getting your permits, you will need two guns won't you. :D

If you both have little firearm experience, especially with handguns, a double action revolver chambered in 357mag with a four inch barrel would be a great start. You can shoot lighter (less recoil but not as powerful) 38 special ammunition in it and use the magnum loads for defense use.

Women tend to not like small light guns. They have more recoil even though they are in a smaller caliber. My wife hated shooting the Kel-Tec 380. If she chooses to carry, let her choose the firearm she wants. I carry full size 45 autos. My wife only shoots revolvers.

Watch KSL Classifieds for private sales. There are some good deals. Go to KSL.com and click on Classifieds. Then about half way down the page there is a Firearms and Hunting section with a Pistol area.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Check out the Kahr CW9 while you are out shopping. It is a nice little semi-auto in the $330 range.

·
Registered
295 Posts
:welcome:, Justin, and a big howdy from Provostan! Good luck on your pistol hunt. I would second what everyone else here has said, but if you want to go cheap and ugly, you can look at Hi-Point. Just do your research :D Post often, post well!

--Geoff

·
Registered
70 Posts
DO IT!!!! We are not the richest people around, but we finally realized that our safety is not something to put off.... we lived off food storage for a month and did it! Haven't regretted it once!

Welcome to the forum, great to have you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts