1,191 Posts
Agreed, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
concealed is concealed

· Registered
1,191 Posts
PW said:
You make an excellent point. I have very mixed feelings about this issue. I wish the restriction did not exist. Your point about respecting others property rights is excellent. As a property owner, if I expect others to respect my rights, I should also respect theirs. I also have this little moral twinge about going against the wishes of those that I consider prophets and apostles. I have personally chosen to not intentionally carry into LDS churches. I would love to see the law changed however.

-PW
One thought to ponder: Only in Utah is carrying in an LDS church wrong (assuming you can carry in a church in the selected state). It is a Utah LDS church policy established because a law exists in Utah that forces churches to either allow or deny carry rights. This is not an LDS rule; it is a state law, so you would not be breaking any religious law, just an earthly law.

Not saying it is right to break the law just that you are not going against the prophet

· Registered
1,191 Posts
knayrb said:
When I got my permit I didn't know how easy it would be. I was expecting to attend a class, take a written test, physically show how to safely handle a gun, and certify at a firing range that I know what I'm doing.
I must have inadvertently picked a very good class. Had a class of about 15 people and we had to demonstrate proper handling on day 1 with one of the blue training guns before we even were allowed to bring the gun to class the 2nd day. On Day 2 we had to pass several different shooting courses including speed and accuracy from 1 yard to 60 yards. We also were taught weapon retention, clearing jams, and shoot/no shoot scenarios. Only about ½ the class even passed. On the other hand when it came to laws he was way out in left field. Guess you can’t win them all.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I believe you shouldn't even need a permit, and if you don't know the law or how to handle your gun you should be charged with any crime you commit. Any crime committed with a gun should be charged as such and owning and carrying a gun should not be a crime in any form. So I don't have an issue with the sign and go permits to complete a requirement that shouldn't exist in the first place. I just think if you are going to teach a class then put some effort into it and Teach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.