Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along the theme of the cleaning poll, this last weekend I totally disassembled my SA XD 9mm Subcompact for a deep cleaning. I am NOT a gunsmith and don't even have a bunch of fancy tools, but found it relatively easy and my XD looks brand spankin' new, despite being on my hip every day for almost a year and having ~2000 rounds though it.

A few tips I learned along the way:

- Here are some great videos that show the entire disassembly/reassembly process - http://www.youtube.com/profile_video_bl ... acTeutates

- This site shows some more detailed photos and instructions for disassembly - http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

- I don't have a fancy punch set, so I used a drill bit set instead. I just used the butt end of the appropriately sized bit (I think 3/32 is all you need) and a rubber mallet. Add a set of needle nosed pliers and a tiny flat-head screwdriver and that's all you need.

- In order to remove the disassembly lever on a subcompact, you put it in the 10 o'clock position, NOT the 2 o'clock position as you do on the standard frame versions and as is shown on the sites above. You then just wiggle it out, twisting as you go.

- The roll pin MUST be pushed out of the top of the frame. Pushing it the other way will mess up your gun.

- The extractor is very difficult to remove if you don't have a pick. However, I don't think the extractor has to be removed to give it a good cleaning.

- There's no real need (in my opinion) to fully disassemble the trigger assembly. You can get it fully clean without removing the trigger spring. In other words, remove the trigger assembly, but don't take it apart.

- The grip safety mechanism is a pain to reassemble and can be fully cleaned without removing it from the frame.

- When reassembling, I found it best to fully assemble the ejector, sear, and firing pin safety lever then slide them into place. I then put the sear spring where it goes, slid a punch (drill bit) through the entire assembly to get them aligned, then 'chased' the punch out with the sear pin. The sear spring pin is then put part way in place, the spring CAREFULLY snapped over it, then it is fully seated. Trying to do this in any other order resulted in frustration and parts flying across the room.

Overall, it was relatively easy and quite rewarding to do. Anybody else out there fully disassemble their XD? If so, any other tips or advice?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just finished doing a detail strip of my XD, noticed that the trigger felt gritty while doing dry fire practice, and then I started to hear grit. Definitely time for a cleaning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts