Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It is very illegal in the district. It's also illegal in Maryland. You're good to go in Virginia though (but check local laws). If you're flying, I wouldn't even chance taking your gun. They've been known to throw folks in jail and throw away the key just for trying to check a gun at the airport if they know you've been in or through the district. I've been to D.C. a dozen or so times in the last few years - it's the only place I've felt absolutely threatened, afraid, and helpless to defend myself. I almost always stay in Virginia just to make sure my money doesn't go to the district, but I've never dared take my gun with me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, looking at the map of DC, the Washington-Reagan international airport is in the disctrict. That would be a no no. Oh well, guess I just have to go without my gun.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Reagan Airport is in Arlington, Virginia. Dulles is in Chantilly, Virginia, so you MIGHT be OK there. I would still be pretty wary taking a gun there. BWI is in Baltimore, so no go there. There isn't a major airport in D.C. proper. The problem is that Reagan and Dulles are administered by the Washington Metropolitan Airport Authority, which is a federal group. Both airports are federal property and are basically run by DC's finest, but there have been a few cases that clearly indicate that both airports are governed by the laws of Virginia, but that hasn't stopped them from arresting gun owners there for violating DC gun laws.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
From what I've read, going from somewhere you are legal to somewhere you are legal to have a gun, you are covered under the federal gun transport law...(not sure what it's called)

Check out this thread, about 6 posts down...
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 40675.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts