Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Kevin and I were OCing at Costco in Riverdale pricing out computers when an assistant manager walked up to Kevin and said that they don't allow guns in the store and we would have to leave. We both said no problem, asked for our membership fee to be refunded (which they gave us) and then we asked for the policy in writing.

We got a copy of their no gun policy which was given to us by another Assistant Manager of the store, Harry J. Hemler. They also gave us the phone number to Costco's CEO Jim Sinegal (425) 313-8163 and to someone else at Costco by the name of Dave Herruff (425) 313-8369. Used to like shopping there, but not if they promote a Gun Free Killing zone.

The letter states in the 3rd & 4th paragraphs,

"Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obligated to follow these rules. By Obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that is is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business."

So, if we follow their policy, we cannot even carry concealed in their stores.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Lame. I'm glad I have my CCP, too bad Costco forces me to use it, but I'm glad that legally I can.

If I knew Costco actively supported anti-gun legislation/groups (like 7-11 does), I would definitely boycott them.
I have decided, however, that merely wishing people did not carry in their store, is not sufficient for me to boycott them -- I'll just CC and be careful.

It's too bad they've taken that stance; however, I perceive their dealing with the issue by dealing with people individually warrants a less-than-full-blown response. I think you, having been personally challenged, responded appropriately. But since that challenge remained just between you and them, I will not fully boycott them. If they go public with their challenge, I will boycott. Likewise, if a major competitor (like Sam's Club) is found to openly accept legal firearms, then I will shop there instead as a form of passive-boycott.

But while no sufficient competitor exists that has taken a better stance on legal firearms exists (that I am aware of), and while Costco has not made this a public fight, I will merely exercise my right by CC'ing and thumb my discrete nose at them.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Costco, though; hopefully you can find a better more gun-friendly competitor -- and if you do, please post them here -- if they are near me and are at least similar to Costco in what they provide, I will switch!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats too bad about the riverdale costco. I carry open and concealed at the American Fork Costco on a regular basis. Most of the time I am open carrying. My membership is a tad different. We get it due to my brother in-law works for the HQ in Seattle WA. I have never been approached by any employee or management on the issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Following our experience at COSTCO, in Riverdale, we went directly to SAM's Club in Riverdale and did our shopping with our firearms exposed at our sides with no interference for the Management of SAM's Club. So as of this time we feel that SAM's Club is more tolerant of the 2A rights than COSTCO and SAM's will be getting our cash instead of COSTCO.

Bane, so it is okay to break the rules of an establishment as long as they don't know?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Right2Carry said:
Following our experience at COSTCO, in Riverdale, we went directly to SAM's Club in Riverdale and did our shopping with our firearms exposed at our sides with no interference for the Management of SAM's Club. So as of this time we feel that SAM's Club is more tolerant of the 2A rights than COSTCO and SAM's will be getting our cash instead of COSTCO.
That's good to know! I'm curious whether or not you could get a copy of their policy and review it for us???

Bane, so it is okay to break the rules of an establishment as long as they don't know?
Yeah, I certainly don't have a problem with it if it's entirely misguided and ultimately serves no beneficial purpose.
I know some here will disagree, but I do not believe property rights trump nor are equal to rights to life and liberty. I believe the rights were enumerated in a successively-ordered list (i.e.: life, liberty, property/happiness) not a collectively-equal list. As such, I believe a person's right to life supersedes the private property owner's right to regulate their property.

·
Registered
35 Posts
bane said:
That's good to know! I'm curious whether or not you could get a copy of their policy and review it for us???
We did not get a copy of the membership agreement, but they did provide a form letter which states their policy. That is what Goosemama quoted from in the OP.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Right2Carry said:
bane said:
We did not get a copy of the membership agreement, but they did provide a form letter which states their policy. That is what Goosemama quoted from in the OP.
Oops, sorry... I was referring to Sam's Club's policy -- to see if they in fact are any better than Costco (vs. the particular location you went to was simply being permissive... as we know, there are other Costco's who have allowed OC'ing even though apparently their policy prohibits firearms).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to add the letter as a pdf attachment on my original post, but it said that pdf docs weren't recognized, or something like that. That's why I ended up just quoting the 3rd & 4th paragraphs. Bane, if you want to send me your email, I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I'm sorta computer savvey, but not all that much. You, being the software engineer, perhaps can help me attach it to the thread. Either way, I'll be more than happy to share it with everyone.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
goosemama said:
I tried to add the letter as a pdf attachment on my original post, but it said that pdf docs weren't recognized, or something like that. That's why I ended up just quoting the 3rd & 4th paragraphs. Bane, if you want to send me your email, I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I'm sorta computer savvey, but not all that much. You, being the software engineer, perhaps can help me attach it to the thread. Either way, I'll be more than happy to share it with everyone.
The PM is in the mail!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Out of curiosity, because costco is a membership business, is it LEGAL to carry even conecaled? I thought the law was only for businesses that let the general public in?

Not that I agree, and I do as bane mentions in cases like this I CC, but I was curious about the legality of this?

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
m&p40 said:
Out of curiosity, because costco is a membership business, is it LEGAL to carry even conecaled? I thought the law was only for businesses that let the general public in?

Not that I agree, and I do as bane mentions in cases like this I CC, but I was curious about the legality of this?
There is no law on the books either way, as far as I know.

You're not protected from harassment by business owners, nor do businesses have legal weight behind any no-firearms signs or policies, other than to ask you to leave and try to charge you with trespassing if you don't.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I just avoid the problem when going into Costco or Sam's Club by carrying concealed. I know the policy at Costco so just CC and have not had one problem.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I guess you are right about that. I see what you are saying. OK well stay with Sam's Club. But Costco sure has some great Tri-Tips.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
SGT Jensen said:
Isn't the whole point of a boycott to keep your hard earned dollar out of the hands of the anti-gunners?
True. But the question is whether it even works. I have come to the opinion that a small, mild, non-public boycott such as this has no influence -- and only makes my life harder. Granted, if I find out that Sam's Club's policy allows firearms, then I would argue there is reason to switch. But where there isn't a substantially equal choice I find it hard to justify.

That being said, AFAIK, Costco isn't hard-core anti-gun -- that is, they have a policy, yes, but they don't FUND anti-gun measures (like 7-11 does). If I were to find out that they did, then there is a purpose to withholding my money from them, and I would.

But a small, private boycott over a difference of policies just doesn't seem to do anything -- so why do it???

·
Registered
378 Posts
bane said:
SGT Jensen said:
Isn't the whole point of a boycott to keep your hard earned dollar out of the hands of the anti-gunners?
True. But the question is whether it even works. I have come to the opinion that a small, mild, non-public boycott such as this has no influence -- and only makes my life harder. Granted, if I find out that Sam's Club's policy allows firearms, then I would argue there is reason to switch. But where there isn't a substantially equal choice I find it hard to justify.

That being said, AFAIK, Costco isn't hard-core anti-gun -- that is, they have a policy, yes, but they don't FUND anti-gun measures (like 7-11 does). If I were to find out that they did, then there is a purpose to withholding my money from them, and I would.

But a small, private boycott over a difference of policies just doesn't seem to do anything -- so why do it???
I would agree. Especially when you can still carry concealed, then no one would ever know unless you ended up having to use your firearm, and then they would likely be more grateful than anything.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
bane said:
SGT Jensen said:

For me it is more that I know know and if I have a choice, I will chose not to patronize them.

Tarzan

·
Registered
226 Posts
Under Utah law they can only ask you to leave, or revoke your membership, should they find out you are CC'ing in their building. There would be no criminal liability unless you refused to leave.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Goosemama asked that I post a link to the form letter she received from the Riverdale Costco regarding the "FireArms/Gun Ban", so here it is.

One thing I noticed in the letter is that it *SEEMS* to put to rest the whole "civil rights on private property" argument as it states:
Costco's 'Gun Ban' policy said:
Costco is not a place of 'public accomodation' within the meaning of civil rights laws...
Granted, they *MAY* be wrong but they obviously think they are right enough to state it in form-letter policy.

Perhaps the worst line in the letter is this:
Costco's 'Gun Ban' policy said:
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores... the shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.
:puke:
Whoever said I was trying to "enhance the shopping experience" by packing??? :huh:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts