Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will they learn?

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.a ... &catid=158

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- District residents can start registering their guns today. But at least one very high profile application was already rejected.

Dick Heller is the man who brought the lawsuit against the District's 32-year-old ban on handguns. He was among the first in line Thursday morning to apply for a handgun permit.

But when he tried to register his semi-automatic weapon, he says he was rejected. He says his gun has seven bullet clip. Heller says the City Council legislation allows weapons with fewer than eleven bullets in the clip. A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.

Besides obtaining paperwork to buy new handguns, residents also can register firearms they've had illegally under a 180-day amnesty period.

Though residents will be allowed to begin applying for handgun permits, city officials have said the entire process could take weeks or months.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Very few will be able to get them registered in DC. It will be business as usual, with only the good ole boys getting them. They are thumbing their nose at the US Supreme Court.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
As a MINIMUM DC should pay the attorney fee times 3 or MORE for each and every lawsuit they Lose as a result of this and it should come from their PERSONAL funds not the cities.

I just read their OWN directios.... and a semi-automatic handgun that only has a 7 round magazine fits their guidelines published on their own FAQ page.
To say that Heller's semiautomatic handgun with a 7 round magazine is a machine gun because it is loaded from the bottom is LUDICRUS.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,565463.asp#1
"What types of firearms can I register?

Shotguns, rifles, and revolvers. However, a shotgun barrel cannot be less than 20 inches in length, and a rifle barrel cannot be less than 16 inches in length and must have a total overall length of 26 inches or more. No weapon can shoot more than one shot by a single function of the trigger, or semi-automatically shoot more than 12 shots without manual reloading or be readily converted or restored to do so."

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
rdoggsilva said:
Very few will be able to get them registered in DC. It will be business as usual, with only the good ole boys getting them. They are thumbing their nose at the US Supreme Court.
They're trying. It's back to court for Mr. Heller.

I'm pretty confident this will get straightened out. You can't just ignore the supreme court and get away with it. I doubt it will even take a lot more cases (in DC, at least). At some point the judges will get upset at the games and appoint someone to oversee the process to ensure that it complies with the court rulings.

G

·
Yeah, it's a good thing they rejected Heller's application. It's YET ANOTHER chance to piss the disarmers off.

They never learn.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Ishpeck said:
Yeah, it's a good thing they rejected Heller's application.
I agree. The idea that they rejected HIS application, of all people's, just boggles the mind. Wow.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Today's DesNews and Provo's DailyHerald both say that Heller did NOT attempt to register and he was not refused. He did show up but DID NOT BRING HIS COLT 45 with him as he feared arrest and prosecution should he have done so.
He did have an "advisor" with him...
I wonder if this will change his standing in the pending lawsuit?

G

·
JoeSparky said:
Today's DesNews and Provo's DailyHerald both say that Heller did NOT attempt to register and he was not refused. He did show up but DID NOT BRING HIS COLT 45 with him as he feared arrest and prosecution should he have done so.
Link?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Ishpeck said:
JoeSparky said:
Link?
DC residents start applying for gun permits

[EDIT - Link corrected to be readable -- Jeff]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Today's DesNews and Provo's DailyHerald both say that Heller did NOT attempt to register and he was not refused.
Dick Heller was the guest on Gun Talk yesterday Sunday July 20th. He said he tried to register his 1911 .45 and was refused. The reason was that years ago when the DC laws were written pistols with a bottom loading magazine with a capacity of more than 12 rounds were lumped in with machine guns. Heller's .45 only holds 7 rounds +1. He was denied because they said a simple modification (purchasing a higher capacity magazine) could be done to make the gun illegal. Therefore he is only allowd a revolver.
Big Brother at it's best. :bat:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I read the reviews, pretty much everyone said they were terrible, would only fire a few rounds and then it would jam. While it looks fun, it probably isn't a very good mag (from what I have read) for anything, except practicing anger management (as one reviewed said) :lolbang:

·
Registered
542 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
I read the reviews, pretty much everyone said they were terrible, would only fire a few rounds and then it would jam. While it looks fun, it probably isn't a very good mag (from what I have read) for anything, except practicing anger management (as one reviewed said) :lolbang:
I bought it shot one mag full and havn't touched it since. I worked fine with 230gr LRN.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.