Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who's going? Whats the forecast for this year?
A friend and I are going. I really have no hope of getting anything. Besides the fun ends when you shot one. I don't like deer meat anyway so I will only pull the trigger if its worthy of hanging on the wall! I am looking forward to getting away from everything for the better part of a week. We will probably spend most of our time to the east of Cache Valley and Logan Canyon area. We may go out to the Sawtooths though. I have never been there, but my hunting buddies brother-in-law supposedly saw some big ones out there this summer. I have seen a stupid little 2 point all year as I go up to the gun range. I saw 2 bucks on a scout trip a month ago also so maybe there will be a few to look at anyway.

-PW

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know what the forecast is going to be like, but I always pack for good and bad weather cuz you never know.
Deer forecast. LOL. I don't care about the weather...

-PW

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we woke up to 3-4" of snow. Opening morning was decent, we saw lots of does, but no bucks. As we were leaving the national forest, we saw 2 little 2-points on some private property. Then we saw probably close to 150 head of deer on some more private property. I think they know when they are on private property. We did see probably close to 15 deer in various camps. Seemed to be a pretty good hunt from what we saw.

Last night, I took my boys down into the river bottoms. We saw a decent 2 point on the other side of the river I passed on. Crossing / wading a large river to get to a little 2 point didn't sound like my idea of fun. I having been swearing I won't shoot anything that is too small to go on my wall....but if my boys were there I might shoot a 2 point just for them as it would make their day, but not when we are back in a few miles and its on the other side of the river. Don't really want to shoot one though. IMO deer meat is disgusting and once you shoot a deer the fun ENDS!

-PW

PS. Note to self: MUST GET 4-WHEELER...mumble, mumble, mumble.....

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saw between 60-70 does this morning between 7:30 and 10AM and watched some kid shoot his first deer....a mighty 2 point. We have seen lots of deer and lots of dead bucks this year. Seems to be a really good year compared to the last few. Probably because of the milder winters. Going again this afternoon....

-PW

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my buddy went and ruined his hunt last night. Poor thing never had a chance. He shot this "monster" offhand at 50 yards with a lever action 30-30. It jumped up out of some sagebrush and just started running and he nailed it with one shot. It is no trophy, but he was pretty excited about it. He hasn't shot a deer in a lot of years and hadn't gutted one in 18 years he said....so guess who got to supervise the gutting process? (supervise, not perform!)

Here is a picture of him with his trophy:

-PW

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might do the dedicated hunter program. Seems like a great idea to me. I have only ever rifle hunted though.....guess that would be an excuse to buy a few more toys huh!

-PW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.