Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this topic on another forum I freqent and it made me think. Dose carrying(oc or cc) affect my attitude? I think that knowing I'm armed makes me feel a little more at ease than I would normally be. Also I feel like I am more likely to avoid many situations that could end up in a physical confrontation by letting things like inconsiderate drivers roll off my back instead of getting upset.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Absolutely, carrying DOES affect my attitude.

Here's what I wrote about this very issue several months ago in a separate thread:
But, in my thinking, I realized one of the most important lessons I have learned from you guys. That lesson was the concept of "a polite society". Prior to carrying I had a bit of an issue with road-rage. When I decided to carry I read enough about how to be in the right frame of mind when one carries and the importance of being the "more polite" citizen out on the road (and everywhere else for all that matters), that it really did change my frame of reference. I really don't practice road rage anymore. I'm sure some of that goes along with the increased confidence one gets when one realizes that they are no longer a helpless victim. You no longer feel you have to lash out at every idiot on the road in order to stay sane.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I looked pretty hard for a thread on this topic but I guess I missed it. Can anyone link me to it?

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I'm not sure that the physical act of carrying a weapon changes one's attitude, but rather the change in awareness that comes with taking up arms is what changes us. When we decide not to be victims, when we say we will not be easy targets, when we say not me, not ever; that is what changes attitudes.

Whether you are armed daily (which I pray you are) or not, your situational awareness and resolve should remain firm, that is where your strength and advantage lies.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I posted this in another post about someone getting their permit and carrying for the first time. I think it fits here also. And my answer is yes.

Ty said:
It's a great feeling and it isn't that false sense of security that some people have thinking they can just call the police and all their problems will disappear. One thing I noticed was that my daily confrontations ceased as I was now bringing a gun to every fight. I drove better and was less likely to give a 1 fingered wave when I was cut off. The empowerment of self defense demanded that my level of responsibility be raised and it has. I never want to jeopardize this right.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
When I open carry I am definitely more polite and when carrying concealed it makes me think twice about my actions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Agree 100% with this:

Ty wrote:
It's a great feeling and it isn't that false sense of security that some people have thinking they can just call the police and all their problems will disappear. One thing I noticed was that my daily confrontations ceased as I was now bringing a gun to every fight. I drove better and was less likely to give a 1 fingered wave when I was cut off. The empowerment of self defense demanded that my level of responsibility be raised and it has. I never want to jeopardize this right.

Really makes me think twice to know that if it really gets nasty, it isn't going to end well for someone.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
MarshallDodge said:
When I open carry I am definitely more polite and when carrying concealed it makes me think twice about my actions.
I am the same way with the way I think and act. I just do not let the small things get to me. Even if I am getting old and cranky.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I agree with all of the previous posts. Besides being more polite and attentive, I'd like to think that I'm also more confident - not in a cocky, tough guy sense, but I feel more at ease and empowered (not sure that's the right word) now that I carry. Not only do I feel better about myself while carrying, I believe that confidence makes me less of a target. A bad guy is much more likely to pick on someone that looks less confident vs. the attentive guy with a bit of spring in his step.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
I am infinitely more aware of my surroundings when I am carrying. I am paying attention to the guy standing in line behind me at the grocery store, the lady next to me buying a movie ticket, and the car that pulls up at the next pump at the gas station. In every situation, I am using every sense I can to detect and avoid situations that might put me or my family in danger.

Abolutely, it affects my attitude.

I don't necessarily think I am more suspicious of people, just very aware of what they are doing and how they interact with me and others around me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1 to everything that has already been said.

I find that I am a lot more calm, polite, and aware when I carry. I am constantly looking around and assessing the situation which in turn makes me much more willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I find that I am trying to avoid confrontations rather than seek them out. I'm more than happy to let someone in front of me on the freeway, etc. because I feel like it is my responsibility to avoid ramping up any sort of confrontation.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I am more aware of my surroundings. The act of being armed itself is no problem to me, it is knowing that if I desired to I would be able to take care of a threat instead of be a victim. I am always aware my weapon is on my hip and I try to be as polite and courteous as possible, while at the same time I try to be as inconspicuous in carrying as I can be in an effort to not alarm others. If I am more polite than I usually am it is only a side benefit of this. The thing is, most of the time I carry no one else is aware, even my wife has been surprised on occasion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with everyone, especially Apollosmith. I am definately more confident when I carry and because of that I am more aware of my surroundings. Instead of walking with my head down and feeling anxious, I hold my head up and I watch everyone and everything around me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It shouldn't. People should always be polite, courteous and aware of their surroundings. In fact, when unarmed it could be argued that you have more reason to be such as you don't have the same means to defend yourself if your behavior were to get you into trouble. After all, you may not be armed, but others are.

G

·
I did see a study that showed that the holding and carrying of a gun, on average, increased the testosterone levels to a degree of the men holding/carrying the gun. I would think if this were possible, there certainly could be a correlation between carrying and the attitude of one that carries.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
sculptingmyguns said:
I did see a study that showed that the holding and carrying of a gun, on average, increased the testosterone levels to a degree of the men holding/carrying the gun. I would think if this were possible, there certainly could be a correlation between carrying and the attitude of one that carries.
Is the inference being that this increase is "GOOD" or "BAD"??? I know the common thought is that increased testy is a bad thing (and indeed it can be when certain thresholds are exceeded)... but I think logic tells us that merely INCREASING (but within acceptable levels) a man's testy-levels is not necessarily bad and can in fact be good b/c it could better stabilize him chemically/emotionally. After all, if ANY increase in testy-levels is "bad", then so too would having sex, eating a proper diet, exercise, and just generally being a healthy male.

In other words, I believe testosterone has gotten a bad rap due to people who have abused it and elements in our society that are often-times anti-male. A mild supplement of testy, whatever form it takes, is not necessarily "bad" (I refer to healthy diet, sex, and exercise as commonly-accepted examples of this).

Most here have agreed that carrying enables them to feel more confident. Maybe the slight increase in testy-levels could be responsible for that????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carrying surely does affect my attitude, in a positive way. I'm more careful, and like some other people mentioned, I now keep road-rage in check. I am very aware that I must never escalate any bad situation/encounter. Of course, this is always the best mindset, whether carrying, or not. But I'm much more aware of its importance now, and committed to being as diplomatic as possible at all times. The LAST thing that I ever want to do, is to have to use my firearm -- for any reason -- other than practice/fun. The best way to do that, is to avoid confrontation like the plague! This is, generally, the best plan anyway.

Even so, I think the most important affect on my attitude, as far as I am personally concerned, is the feeling of security that I have. Whether it's real or imagined, I do feel safer. And this enhances my quality of life. I don't feel like a victim waiting to happen anymore. And the training and eduction that I have pursued as a result of my new responsibility has definitely strengthened my attitude in regards to personal responsibility, safety, and the importance of life.

PM

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think CC has changed my attitude. I am very polite and avoid people who "look" like trouble. I am out shopping and getting things done from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM. I have found that after years of CC I almost forget I'm carrying sometimes. I never completely forget but it's more natural than it was for the first 6 months. My attitude has not changed, my awareness has. I find when I CC, my senses seem to be heightened. Just a few thoughts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts