Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Shoots Man

Hunting Dog Shoots Man
October 30th, 2007 @ 9:38am

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A hunter is recovering after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger, an official said Tuesday.

James Harris, 37, of Tama, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season, said Alan Foster, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

"He had surgery and is doing pretty well," he said. "He took between 100-120 pellets in about a 4-inch circle to his calf."

Harris was listed in good condition Tuesday, officials at University Hospitals in Iowa City said.

Harris was hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell. The group shot a bird, and when Harris went to get it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, his hunting dog stepped on the gun, Foster said.

The gun was about 3 feet away from his leg.

"The muzzle velocity is so great that the pellets don't have a chance to spread out," he said.

No one else was hurt, and the dog was not injured.

Foster said no citations have been issued.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Crazy story! Funny reading. There's a lesson to be learned there, I suppose. I doubt my dog can accidentally discharge my XD, however! :lol:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
"The muzzle velocity is so great that the pellets don't have a chance to spread out," he said.
The fact that the pellets haven't spread out yet has nothing to do with the muzzle velocity. :? He was probably delirious from all the camera lights and such. The pellets hadn't spread out yet, because his friggin' leg was 3 feet away! If he'd have been shot at 50-100 yards, we wouldn't have likely heard about this on the news.

I doubt my dog can accidentally discharge my XD, however!
I also doubt that you could hit a flying pheasant with your XD. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
:evil: What a {radio edit} idiot. Take a Hunter's Safety class, for crap's sake. The only justice is that it was the idiot who got hurt, not some innocent bystander. But, I hate these kinds of stories because they add to the stereotype of "all gun owners are backwoods sister-humping ******* freaks." I hate that crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
tapehoser said:
I also doubt that you could hit a flying pheasant with your XD. :lol:
Oh, how naive we are! j/k :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tapehoser said:
I also doubt that you could hit a flying pheasant with your XD. :lol:
I could.... If one could get stepped on, I am SURE I could hit it with a pistol. see here
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
T-Man said:
:evil: What a {radio edit} idiot. Take a Hunter's Safety class, for crap's sake. The only justice is that it was the idiot who got hurt, not some innocent bystander. But, I hate these kinds of stories because they add to the stereotype of "all gun owners are backwoods sister-humping ******* freaks." I hate that crap.
My sentiments exactly. That was a BIG part of Hunter's Safety 101. They stress over and over again how to walk afield with a firearm and how to handle the crossing of fences and such.

An absolute maroon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
I thought the exact same thing about crossing fences! About the only thing I remember from hunter education was the big deal they made about crossing fences safely! Not sure why that seemed to stick with me but I remember them talking about it a bunch....enough that I think about it every single time I cross a fence!

-PW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Ok, I'm really new to guns so pardon my ignorance... but how is it possible that a hunting dog slip his paw inside the trigger guard and slip hard enough to pull the trigger? Are there some guns that don't require this action for it to fire? I'm just still trying to run this scenerio through my head on how this could've happened? I have fired shot guns, rifles, and hand guns and this still boggles my mind! :shock:

Someone enlighten me please! :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yung1s said:
Ok, I'm really new to guns so pardon my ignorance... but how is it possible that a hunting dog slip his paw inside the trigger guard and slip hard enough to pull the trigger? Are there some guns that don't require this action for it to fire? I'm just still trying to run this scenerio through my head on how this could've happened? I have fired shot guns, rifles, and hand guns and this still boggles my mind! :shock:

Someone enlighten me please! :?
While I was not there, and have seen no pictures I would guess the gun was leaning up against the fence when the dog, in his eagerness to stay with his master, tried to follow the same route as the owner and in turn ended up using the gun as a climbing post. The owner, now on the other side of the fence, was standing in front of the gun as the dog was scrambling over the gun, and the dogs "Finger" slipped inside the trigger guard... the boom.

The Keyboard drawing of this would be {}|\=
Where {} is the guy, | the fence, \ the gun, and = the dog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
xmirage2kx said:
The Keyboard drawing of this would be {}|\=
Where {} is the guy, | the fence, \ the gun, and = the dog
:shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bane said:
xmirage2kx said:
The Keyboard drawing of this would be {}|\=
Where {} is the guy, | the fence, \ the gun, and = the dog
:shock:
So I am board.... very very very board
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Hey - Where is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? Isn't this a racial issue?
You'd think they'd be all over this. :lol:

OK sarcasm aside--read this a while ago and if it weren't so tragic it would be very funny. Ok, it is funny, but you've got to feel for this embarrassed man--who would want to say the only one to shoot them was an animal--really? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
If you got to put your gun down put it on saftey or empty the chamber dont loose control
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top