Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to website that talks about dome Dry Fire Drills. At the bottom are links to some drills you can do. These drills will have you point your gun at your computer screen, so you may want to make sure, several times, your gun is unloaded should you decide to do them. Once you decide your done, you may want to lock the slide back, shut down your computer, then pick up your gun and take it into another room and to load it.

http://www.personaldefensetraining.com/ ... ryfire.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
pretty kool. It should really help the people who only get out a few times a year to shoot or can't afford to take training classes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Hunter said:
Here's a link to website that talks about dome Dry Fire Drills. At the bottom are links to some drills you can do. These drills will have you point your gun at your computer screen, so you may want to make sure, several times, your gun is unloaded should you decide to do them. Once you decide your done, you may want to lock the slide back, shut down your computer, then pick up your gun and take it into another room and to load it.

http://www.personaldefensetraining.com/ ... ryfire.php
I do dry fire drills with my TV all the time. My wife tells me that she is sure that one on these times I am going to forget, and blow my TV away, thinking I have snap caps in my gun, when it is actually loaded.

Knock on wood.....so far so good.

Tarzan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:
Hunter said:
Here's a link to website that talks about dome Dry Fire Drills. At the bottom are links to some drills you can do. These drills will have you point your gun at your computer screen, so you may want to make sure, several times, your gun is unloaded should you decide to do them. Once you decide your done, you may want to lock the slide back, shut down your computer, then pick up your gun and take it into another room and to load it.

http://www.personaldefensetraining.com/ ... ryfire.php
I do dry fire drills wit my TV all the time. My wife tells me that she is sure that one on these times I am going to forget, and blow my TV away, thinking I have snap caps in my gun, when it is actually loaded.

Knock on wood.....so far so good.

Tarzan
There are plenty of ways you can make sure you don't. Something that was suggested to me was get a ribbon or something to put on the grip of your gun after you have cleared it and loaded snap caps (or for dry fire). This way you are tasking an extra step to visually mark your gun as safe. Then remove the ribbon before loading the gun again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
I've always been taught never to dry practice with a fixed target (picture, TV, computer monitor, door, etc.), but rather to put up a temporary target (8.5x11, post-it note, etc) and take it down right after dry practice is over. This rationale was backed up by stories of people who practiced enough with a fixed target and then, randomly as they later walked past the fixed target their subconcious would kick in and recognize it as a target - then out comes the loaded gun to 'practice' without thinking about unloading it first and bang! Oops...

I prefer a post-it note on the wall with a heavy cross drawn on it - roughly the size of the cranio-ocular cavity and can be practiced with at about 7-20 feet. It's cheap and you won't have to worry about having to buy a new TV or explain to your wife why the picture of her mother has a bullet hole through it.

Just make sure you have a good backstop - I practice in the basement at a perimeter wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
I think that follows the same mindset. By doing something outside of your normal day to day routine it makes you think before you act. And to always make sure you do it in a place where no major issues would occur if you were to screw up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
explain to your wife why the picture of her mother has a bullet hole through it.
My wife would understand....j/k
I like the idea of using a target other than a common item like you mentioned.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top