Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my family to Disney On Ice on 15March2007 I called ahead and spoke with Jared in Security who stated I could Carry my firearm as long as I had my CFP. Upon my arrival I was greated by security in the will call area. I was told I could not carry my conceled firearm by supervisor Robert. I had to take it down to the first level where I was told I had to put it in the supervisor's office until I was done with the performace. I was very upset with the whole situation not being able to carry my firearm in a public venue funded with our tax dollars. The kicker was they do not search people going into the venue so anyone can bring in what ever they want to I thought that by giving them a heads up I was carrying a firearm as a courtsey. So I would like to get your oppinon Clark if you read this can you tell me if this is legal.

Zach

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have been there when it was the Delta Center. Signs posted, no personal search. I considered that the signs do not have force of law and there was no issue. I did not tell them, they did not ask, we all got by just fine. If I had been asked to leave it somewhere, I would have locked it in my car.

al

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the facts I took trax down could not put it in my car. no metal detector's anyhwhere just a sign that said no weapons thats all

·
Registered
203 Posts
gunsfreak4791 said:
Learned my lesson but wondering can they enforce this rule with a CFP
They have no legal authority to prohibit you.

They think they do, but no. It's not a "secure area" per the USC.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I guess this is an example of "No good deed goes unpunished."

:(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Again, I am not a lawyer, blah, blah, blah.....
I believe that they DO have the right to prohibit your entry---as the owner of the property, but doing it with signs will not force you out in Utah. For example, you get a soda, you jacket pulls back, somebody sees your gun and freaks, calls security, security confronts you and says you have got to leave----my understanding is that YOU MUST LEAVE. I am not familiar enough with the financing of the Delta Center to claim it is public property--it seems to function as private and therefore it is like me going to your house--you ask me to leave and I must leave.
al

·
Registered
203 Posts
iampacking said:
I believe that they DO have the right to prohibit your entry---as the owner of the property,
This is not true. They want you to believe that it's a property rights issue, but that's the Great Red Herring. As long as the discussion is framed in these terms… they win… and they know it.

iampacking said:
my understanding is that YOU MUST LEAVE.
When they ask you to leave, it's no longer a firearms issue, but a trespassing issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure if this will answer your question but....
Don't ask for permission and Don't tell them you have it next time.

As I am sure you are aware it is NOT a violation of law to otherwise lawfully carry a firearm into ESA.

I really do not like the idea of them possessing my firearm, I will not allow the Government to infringe that right and I sure as heck won't let some flunky with a security badge put it in his desk drawer and play with it when I am gone.

The trespassing statutes for places of public accommodations offer an affirmative defense for trespassing. (This means that you have a valid and legitimate defense that you may offer affirmatively if prosecuted.) Rather than innocent until proven guilty, (kind of).

Unfortunately this means that you may actually do the ride but won't do the time.

SLPD, used to arrest at the request of Delta Centre security. That was a long time ago until a state optometrist was arrested and released for the otherwise lawful carry of a concealed weapon. Long story short, they immediately stopped that practice. But that was a long time ago under a different Chief. I do not know of they have reverted back.

I am supposed to have a meeting in a couple of weeks and the Chief of SLPD will be there. Perhaps I'll inquire. I have a few other things to ask him about as well.

I have been, of late, working with the Mayor's Chief of staff, and his staff) regarding the inappropriate signs at every entrance to the City/County building. I can post a photo of these signs of someone will tell me how to do it. (No Loaded Firearms Allowed) In Gold lettering no less too.

Sincerely,
Clark Aposhian

·
Registered
162 Posts
W. Clark Aposhian said:
I am supposed to have a meeting in a couple of weeks and the Chief of SLPD will be there. Perhaps I'll inquire. I have a few other things to ask him about as well.
To resurrect this thread - I am going to be at the Energy Solutions Arena (ESA) to an event in the coming months and am curious what to expect. They do not have metal detectors or wands, correct?

I definitely will be well concealed in such a public place, but I don't want trouble from staff. We are planning on using Trax and I do want the protection of my firearm; that is why I got my CWP in the first place.

Any recent experiences or insider information would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
heavykevy said:
Any recent experiences or insider information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Still no metal detectors. Like Clark stated above, they cannot stop you from taking your gun in. But, if they detect the gun, they will ask you to leave and you must do so. In other words, don't ask, don't tell, don't print, and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
162 Posts
apollosmith said:
Still no metal detectors. Like Clark stated above, they cannot stop you from taking your gun in. But, if they detect the gun, they will ask you to leave and you must do so. In other words, don't ask, don't tell, don't print, and enjoy the show.
Thanks for the advise!

And one more question if I may pose to everyone - am I going to be okay with my C-TAC (inside the waist band) with a shirt tucked in over it or should I use the SmartCarry?

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I notice that my CTAC prints more than the SmartCarry. I prefer the CTAC during normal day to day business, however, if you are going to a venue where carrying is an issue, I would definitely carry as deep as possible.

You might even want to wear a big gnarly belt buckle to blame it on if they DO end up using metal detectors :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I prefer my CTAC too, but was leaning towards the SmartCarry for the same reasons. Is the main entrance the best choice (more traffic = less thorough check) or should I go in the Will Call or something? It really pisses me off that I have to go through this stress to keep my family safe.

I can tell you one thing, I am going to avoid any of Larry Miller's stupid venues from now on, but my kids will freak out if back out now! A person who probably has a personal armed security force that refuses the same to the people who make him rich is ridiculous. It is too bad that we can't get the Legislature to give a definition that we can carry in this place given its "public" nature.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does the Delta Center really have metal detectors?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
ebrinton said:
Does the Delta Center really have metal detectors?
No. At least they didn't a few months back. And I've never been wanded either. They might check bags and purses at some events. So, unless things have changed, just carry concealed and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Just remember that this place is funded in part by the restaurant tax, therefore it is a public place & cannot deny you your legal right to carry while there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts