Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the Bee's game last week and took my Glock 23 with me. I'm still pretty new to Concealed Carry and I'm comfortable carrying around town but for some reason I was sure everyone knew I was carrying at the game. It was kind of a strange feeling because I was worried that I was going to get bumped into and someone was going to notice I was carrying. I was looking around the whole time making sure I wasn't getting too close to people and that nobody got too close to me.

Everything went off without a hitch, and the funniest part of the night was when I got back to the car with my brother in law I took the gun and holster off my belt and put it in the console of the car. He looked at me and said "Man, you were carrying the whole time? I had no idea." So, I guess I was just being paranoid. :D

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
PetersenRD said:
So, I guess I was just being paranoid. :D
Yup.
Even if someone did bump into your gun they would be so self-concious of entering your space, they most likely wouldn't even notice they had bumped anything other than your body. If they noticed bumping an object, they would probably just figure cellphone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had family members bump into my gun and have no idea it is there. People just aren't looking for a gun and even if they saw it they wouldn't have any idea what it is. I wore my gun around my in-laws for 3 days and they had no idea that I was wearing a gun the entire time I was there, even though they know I usually have a gun somewhere close by. People just aren't looking for it.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
the wall said:
I wore my gun around my in-laws for 3 days and they had no idea that I was wearing a gun the entire time I was there, even though they know I usually have a gun somewhere close by. People just aren't looking for it.
+1

I was at a family get-together yesterday for about five hours. Toward the end, the subject of guns came up and my mom (who probably knew my dad was packing) asked who was carrying. My dad and I raised our hands and everyone was shocked. I was surprised that they were shocked. My dad was carrying his Berretta 9000 .40 in a SmartCarry holster, which I wouldn't expect anyone to see, but I was carrying my XD9SC in a Serpa at 4 o'clock with a shortish t-shirt that barely fell below the grip. I couldn't figure out how anyone could have missed it, but they ALL did.

Except my dad, of course. People who carry tend to notice guns. People who don't are amazingly blind to them.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
My work had an outing at Franklin Covey a couple weeks ago and I carried there. My wife saw I was going to carry and asked me about it. I said we were taking tracks and that I would feel better knowing we were protected, she said good, end of story.

I felt subconscious about it only because (as I am a bit largish) the seats are not very wide and they are crammed pretty tight. I usually carry at 3 O'Clock on my strong side and when I would sit I had to make sure everything sat down with me. No one from work noticed though and the evening was pleasant. We didn't even meet any deviants while waiting at the stations. All and all a good night.

Now that a man was shot dead within a block of there last week I feel better knowing should something happen at the stadium or while traveling to or from, that my wife and I are prepared to defend ourselves. Funny thing is, my wife is fine around guns now. Four years ago she had never been around them. Then she saw me with my carry piece on a date. Two years ago I was surprised when she got the courage to come visit me while selling knives at the Gun Show. She was trembling in fear as she was never educated on them (she told me later that she had already decided she was going to marry me and knew she had to get used to guns because she knew I wouldn't give them up). A year ago she fired a gun for the first time. She is still timid about firing one but feels should anything ever happen she needs to know how to handle one. Last month she ate dinner after TJ had his comments in WVC Council Meeting with all us guys, and some gals, with guns.

Anyhow, I guess what I am saying is it is important to know and be conscious of your weapon and learning, teaching or being prepared is a great advantage which may be used to our advantage should circumstances demand it. It is important for our spouses to be familiar too, and to know how, when and why they may need to have, or use a firearm is self defense. Acclimating them to experiences such as Franklin Covey, the E Center or Energy Solutions is just a part of the education process. Keep it up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went to a family reunion over the weekend and we (about 50 people) were all in a lodge for 2 days. No one noticed I was carrying the entire time.. I told my wife later and she said "I figured you were but I couldn't tell."
Why do we worry for no reason....? :dunno: :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I have had the same experience.

My wife's family gets together almost every other Sunday. I frequently wear a short-ish shirt that raises a bit... though I wear an IWB, I frequently have to pull these shirts down while I'm shifting sitting or moving around doing something with my hands over my head. My mother- and father-in-law have exchanged numerous hugs with me and brushed the firearm under my shirt but never said anything or acted odd.

The family kids have never noticed, nor their parents.

My father-in-law came over to my house a few weeks ago and upon leaving saw my handgun sitting on the wall near my door... I saw him do a moderately-wide double-take at it but never said anything at all and acted totally normal after he figured out what it was. He still hasn't said anything about it to this day. It seems clear he could easily infer that I pack, but he's never said anything about it.

Those who care usually don't see.
Those who do see often don't care.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was camping over memorial day weekend for a family reunion and it was quite cold so I had on a sweatshirt that covered my gun. My nephew, who is about 14, came up and gave me a quick jab to the gut and then another one straight to my gun. I quickly jumped back, because I didn't want him or his family to know and he just said, "Ouch, your cellphone is solid as a brick." I just said yup and went the other way. I thought for sure t he would have said let me see what that was, but he automatically thought it was a cellphone. Like stated before, unless you carry and are familiar with guns, nobody will notice. Before I became so familiar with guns and how people carry, I never would have known. When I was a security guard of a local mall I never would have known if someone was carrying unless it was open and even then it would have been rare, because I simply didn't know how or where people carried. Plus I simply didn't care. I do understand the fear of being made.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
ndavis2008 said:
My nephew, who is about 14, came up and gave me a quick jab to the gut and then another one straight to my gun.
Hehe. My 11 year-old son gave me a playful whack on the waist one day, and his hand smacked right into my openly-carried gun. Judging by his reaction, it really stung :lolbang:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Last time I went to Franklin Covey they had a huge sign that said, "No Weapons"
I had my gun in the hidden compartment of my purse. They searched it and still didn't find my gun. When we sat down my hubby said, "I can't believe those idiots didn't find your gun!" I said, "That's why it's called CONCEALED carry!" heehee!

I notice guns now. Before I had my CCP I wouldn't. Just today I went to a buffet for lunch and I saw 3 different people "conceal carrying"...I could tell they were packing!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Queen Kat said:
....... "That's why it's called CONCEALED carry!" heehee!........
My wife gets after me all the time for letting my hand rest on my concealed weapon. She says it is bad form.

Of course this only happens when I am using my version of "Smart Carry"....Oh yea maybe that is the problem.... :oops:

Tarzan

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did I totally miss something about what "smart carry" means? Sorry, I'm naive! :oops:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
EWW!!! :ROFL: :lolbang:

:puke: There went my lunch!
Right. Everyone going to the BBQ tonight might want to make note of this behavior of Tarzan's! :lol3:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
OH! OK! Thunderwear! duh! LOL! :ack: :lolbang: :ROFL:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tarzan1888 said:
Queen Kat said:
My wife gets after me all the time for letting my hand rest on my concealed weapon. She says it is bad form.

Of course this only happens when I am using my version of "Smart Carry"....Oh yea maybe that is the problem.... :oops:

Tarzan
Oh man, i just spit coke all over my keyboard. Thanks Tarzan, you own me 23.95 for a new one. :D :ROFL:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:
Queen Kat said:

Tarzan
:lolbang: :ROFL: :ROFL:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I am sorry guys.......Well sort of...Sometimes these things just come to me and before I know what I am doing.....Anyway I will try and be good...I promise.

Tarzan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Queen Kat said:
Last time I went to Franklin Covey they had a huge sign that said, "No Weapons"
I had my gun in the hidden compartment of my purse. They searched it and still didn't find my gun. When we sat down my hubby said, "I can't believe those idiots didn't find your gun!" I said, "That's why it's called CONCEALED carry!" heehee!
Last time I went to Franklin Covey I had my gun in my purse too except mine wasn't in a pocket it was just in the bottom of my purse under my wallet. I was sure the security guy would find it but he didn't! He even touched my gun!! He looked down into my purse and moved some stuff around and he totally grabbed my gun through my purse on the bottom but he didn't say anything. They didn't notice my dad's or my husband's gun either. I was glad I didn't have to walk back to the car but at the same time it makes me wonder what other weapons they missed? Kinda scary to think that they might have let someone in that was carrying a weapon illegally....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts