Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times, if ever, have you been 'made' while concealing?

By that, I mean how many times has someone inadvertantly seen your concealed weapon?

I've carried for 2 weeks now and it seems that nobody has seen my gun......at least they haven't commented on it if they have.

Anyhoo, someone on the forum (Jeff, I think) got 'made' one time by some girls and the one said to the other, "It's OK. He's a cop."

Share your experiences, please!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had a co-worker swing his hand just right and hit it. He never said anything at the time. He knew what it was, even though I have LOTS of junk on my belt (he does too..)

That is about the only time really. I've had another guy (had a permit also) when I first started carrying that would look close and then when he saw "The bulge/grip/..." then he would mention it. I had to tell him to knock it off after he said something around my wife. She didn't like me carrying and we still don't say much about it now, though she KNOWS I carry... often. But then so does our #2 son, who never made a secret of it around his mother. She's gotten used to the idea.

I had my revolver fall out on the floor once in a bathroom at UVSC.. No one noticed. I make sure that never happens again. That was a loud clunk!

IF I ever carry at work (yes, I have in the past), I had Better not be noticed. It's a no no. :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Only had one person let me know I was showing, it was the owner of the gas station I stop at every morning who is also an ex-cop. He walked-up behind me and the bottom of my holster must have been showing. He just pulled the back of my shirt down a little & just smiled.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only time anybody's ever noticed (that I know of) was when I first started carrying. Even my other friends that carry rarely know (loose clothing, IWB holster, slim .380).

In1999 I was at a gas station in a seedy part of SLC, getting ready to pull the hose out of the tank, when a scruffy presumed pan handler came up behind me. I had my head turned slightly and was actively watching him through the corner of my eye as he came out of the bushes and make a b-line for me across the gas station's lot.

When he got some 20' away from me and I was ready to turn to face him, he suddenly froze --- I mean froze motionless mid step leaning forward with his arms out like we were playing the go/stop children's game. His eyes were glued on my right hip where he could clearly see the bulge of a grip poking my shirt. After a few awkward seconds he turned and ran... ran like the devil.

I don't know what he was really up to, but his reaction has always made me wonder.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
The only time I've been 'made' was at a graveside service. I was wearing a suit coat over my pistol. My sister came up to me and put her arm around my waist to give me a hug (we're a hugging family). She put her hand right smack-dab on my SW99.

Her eyes opened wide and she said, "That's not a cell phone!"
Then she chuckled a bit, taking it in stride. That's when I told her about my CFP.

As for people noticing, I'll tell you what. People are not very observant or most just don't care.

I've tried open-carrying a couple of times recently (dang, it's been hot). Once was at a Wal-Mart about a week ago, then the other time was a couple days ago when I took my wife to dinner at a restaurant.

In neither case did anybody give me a second glance (that I could see) or make any comment whatsoever. It was like they never noticed or just didn't care.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
She put her hand right smack-dab on my SW99.
I still can't believe that you open carry occaisionally. I have heard bad things about that. My gun instructor and many other authors of books have said that, while it is legal, many police departments have standing orders to arrest the carrier if a complaint is called in. Seems they will arrest you for disturbing the peace. I sure am glad nobody noticed or made mention.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have been "made" frequently. But as with Jeff, I come from a loving family & we too, hug a lot. That is when I have been made. I have also open carried at restaurants and never had anyone give me a 2nd look. Generally I find it comfortable either way, but then that is dependent upon where I know I will be, or in who's or what company.

·
Registered
507 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
Jeff Johnson said:
She put her hand right smack-dab on my SW99.
Nice gun Jeff! I have the Walther P99QA in 9mm. Are you running 9 or .40S&W?

I still can't believe that you open carry occaisionally. I have heard bad things about that. My gun instructor and many other authors of books have said that, while it is legal, many police departments have standing orders to arrest the carrier if a complaint is called in. Seems they will arrest you for disturbing the peace. I sure am glad nobody noticed or made mention.
I don't suppose you, or your instructor, know for sure which Police Dept. are doing arresting or have been told to arrest for open carry if they get a complaint about it. Just curious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts