1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my choices for concealed carry weapons down to the following:

Glock 20 or 29 (10mm)

Ruger P90 or P97 (.45 ACP)

I currently own a Ruger P89 which is quite reliable but a little bulky for concealed carry. Plus, it's a 9mm and I want a beefier cartridge. I will be reloading also.

Of the choices provided, which would you choose?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The Ruger P97 is the one I mainly carry. I have a P89 too, and enjoyable as it is to shoot, I certainly agree it's a too bulky to conceal. The P90 would be the same.

I can't speak too much about the Glock, having never owned one. The only one I've ever fired was the Glock 17 (or was it the 19 model?). I'm sure the 10mm's would be a whole other experience, recoil-wise. I don't like the grip angle and the trigger on the Glocks, but that's just a personal thing. Maybe it just takes getting used to. I'd guess the concealment factor would be a little better than the Ruger P97.

I have other guns I sometimes carry, the Springfield XD-9 and XD-40. (Unless you don't want a .40, the XD-40 is also a great gun and something you might consider.) When concealment demands it, I have a Kahr K9. But I got lucky with my own P97. It's very accurate, and it fits my hand. So I keep coming back to it for something to carry and shoot at the range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why are you considering only 10mm in glock but are considering 45 in Ruger.

Glock has the options of 21, 30 or 36 in .45 acp.

If you think your current Ruger is big, don't even think about a Glock 20 or 21.

Your best options would be the 29, 30 or 36.

The 36 is the most carry friendly of those mentioned as it is a single-stack sub-compact 45. We currently happen to have a used one in the case but the price escapes me at the moment you can call us in the morning and we can double check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a thought on the Ruger/Glock issue, as James says the Glock is a smaller, more compact package and has fewer sharp edges. A plus for the Ruger is reloading, you can use lead bullets in the Ruger barrels, not recommended for the Glocks of any caliber. The Rugers I've had in classes all worked but were bulky and had some sharp edges usually found in clearance drills. Also holsters can be a bit hard to find. I understand Fobus makes a kydex type for the Ruger, Glocks are easy to find holsters for. Good luck and hope that helps.

I have 5 Glocks and several Rugers(mostly revolvers and .22 semi-autos), several 1911's in .45, S&W revolvers of many sizes and calibers as well.

Steve Beckstead

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GOVTMOD

Why are you considering only 10mm in glock but are considering 45 in Ruger.
If Ruger chambered anything in 10mm, I would be all over it. My options are limited by cost.

A Ruger in .45 seems more affordable than a Glock in 10mm. I just love the 10mm, that's all - the ballistics are wonderful! I may end up getting the Glock in 10, just don't know yet.

Is there something in 10mm that is more affordable than a used Ruger?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're not going find anything I would rely on for the sake of self defense. Glocks are the only servicable sized weapons that I've seen hold up to constant use. Problem is you have to be patient in finding one. We do have a 29 in stock but I can only sell it to LE officers as part of our contract and we haven't seen a 20 in over a a year either LE or civilian.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called Dave Larsen over at Doug's and he's got both a 20 and a 29. Will have to go take a look - the prices are $499 and $549 (I think) and he will sell to me.

Why can you only sell the 10mm Glock to LEO's??? That doesn't make sense to me. Is that some sort of agreement with the manufacturer or something?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lance,
I believe we have those in stock as well for better prices. I'll look on Monday. Then again we can order them and have them in within 2 days.
Clark

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are a Law Enforcement distributer. This means we get Glocks that are specifically alocated, packaged and priced for the law enforcemant market. We are audited to make certain that only qualified law enforcement personel receive these specific guns. The 29 I have falls into this category.

The non-LE Glocks we have we get the same way every other dealer does and so they are similarly packaged and priced.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Clark. I'll wait until I have that CFP in hand and then come down and check it out! (thus avoiding the $7.50 background check :D )

·
Registered
507 Posts
Based pn my experience Glocks are far more reliable and with them so widely used in the Law Enforcement Community you know that they have been rigoroursly and the vast majority of Police Departments choose Glocks over most anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts