Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of people here that carry XDs, but I have shot a 9mm XD (compact, short barrel), and Glocks in both 9mm (Glock 19) and .45 (Glock 21), and from my personal experience, I like the Glocks better, but I wanted to get some opinions because I may be buying soon. Why do you like/dislike Glock or XD?

Thanks in advance,
--Geoff

G

·
In the end, you should go with whatever works best for you. As far my reasoning for prefering the XD's,

1. More integrated safety features that are well implemented
2. I am more accurate with an XD
3. The grip feels more natural and doesn't have those ridiculous 1 position fits all finger grooves built into the grip
4. Quicker for me to disassemble, don't have to fool w/ the slidey thingy
5. Gives away nothing away to the Glock as far as durability and reliability are concerned
6. Doesn't look as generic and crappy as a Glock. We'll call this aesthetic preference.
7. My opinion is the XD manages felt recoil better
8. In my opinion, the stainless mags are slicker and don't hang up upon release
9. Springfield is an American company. I still prefer an American owned company regardless of where Glocks or Xd's are assembled, the profit in the end goes back to the country of where the business is owned.

I realize this opens a big can of worms, these are just preferences, personal experiences and observations. I'm sure others out there will disagree, but I don't care and neither should you. What you handle best and shoot best is what is going to matter.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
I have an XD. A Glock is not as comfortable in my hand. The other problem I have with a Glock, is when I aim it I am invariably pointing at the sky. I'm sure I would adjust to this if I shot one all the time, but I bought the XD because when I hold and point it, it felt much more natural and actually was pointing at what I wanted it to. The Glocks I have shot, are fine shooting guns though. Both are great guns IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
sculptingmyguns said:
In the end, you should go with whatever works best for you. As far my reasoning for prefering the XD's,

1. More integrated safety features that are well implemented
2. I am more accurate with an XD
3. The grip feels more natural and doesn't have those ridiculous 1 position fits all finger grooves built into the grip
4. Quicker for me to disassemble, don't have to fool w/ the slidey thingy
5. Gives away nothing away to the Glock as far as durability and reliability are concerned
6. Doesn't look as generic and crappy as a Glock. We'll call this aesthetic preference.
7. My opinion is the XD manages felt recoil better
8. In my opinion, the stainless mags are slicker and don't hang up upon release
9. Springfield is an American company. ( I am aware of where they are assembled) but I still prefer an American owned company. regardless of where Glocks or Xd's are assembled, they money in the profit in the end goes back to the country of where the business is owned.

I realize this opens a big can of worms, these are just preferences, personal experiences and observations. I'm sure others out there will disagree, but I don't care and neither should you. What you like better and shoot better is what is going to matter.
What he said! :agree:

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
I have shot and played with both. It is my opinion that Springfield came along and said, 'Hey. What's the most popular handgun on the market? A Glock. What don't people like about it? Let's fix or alter all those little complaints or flaws and make a better handgun.'

And they did.

1. The sights are better.
2. The gun is more natural to my point of aim.
3. The angle of the grip to the slide seems slightly different with the XD which makes it easier to shoot with less recoil.
4. Less motions to disassemble.
5. As reliable as the Glock (Guns and Ammo put them through the EXACT same tests as the Glock with equal results).

I might think of a few more later.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have shot both and liked the XD better, mainly because of ergonomics.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have an XD45 Service that I use for concealed carry. It was the first auto loading handgun I bought. I choose it for one simple reason. I hit what I aimed at every time. I liked the grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, and like the Glock lack of an external thumb safety.

I have shot Glocks before and I could not hit as easily nor as accurately with them as I can with the XD. If the Glock is comfortable in your hand and you can shoot it well then what more reason do you need to buy one?

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I echo the sentiments above. The number one reason is ergonomics, it shoots where I point, naturally. That's the most important thing in my opinion, what functions best when you don't have any time to adjust, align and primp your grip/position.

Also, and this is totally personal so don't flame me for it, I just hate the look of the Glocks. The tapered frame/slide thing just makes me wanna puke (seriously, it sends icky shivers up my spine). And the super-angled grip doesn't add any beauty either.

So anyways, that's my info. I'd add all the other things, but they've been said already, so I'll save us all some time.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I agree with the above, particularly Dave's comments. I have also shot both, the XD just felt better and shot more naturally on-target for me. And yes, I just don't like the way the Glock looks compared to the XD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1 to everyone who said that you need to try them both and pick the one YOU like best. I carry a Glock 23 because I shot it better. To me the XD felt top heavy, and I was not as accurate with it. I do think the XD is a little better looking, but I didn't buy mine for looks. If I'm lucky the only people who are going to see it are at the range. My Glock goes bang every single time I pull the trigger, and I've never had a FTF/FTE with it. No matter what you should go with what you like and shoot best and you'll be happy. If you pick one based on what we all tell you you might be happy with it, or you might regret it. Shoot them both and then decide for yourself. Either way I think you'll have a quality handgun that will last you years if you take care of it. Good luck

·
Registered
542 Posts
My hands are to big for a Glock, the groves hit the middle of my fingers. other than that Glocks are a nice gun.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've shot them both and I think they're both awesome. I ended up buying a Glock because the grip felt better to me. But that's just me; choose the one that's best for you.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That's pretty funny Dave! :ROFL:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it seems like the general consensus is that they are both good guns, and as such, the whole XD vs. Glock issue is one of personal preference involving ergonomics and ability to put lead on target. This is pretty much what I expected, thanks for the confirmation :D As for me, I'm pretty sold on Glock for now, but I do plan to shoot an XD 9 sub-compact this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

--Geoff

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think it's defiantly an issue of ergonomics preference I think they both have the same capacity for accuracy and are both equally durable. My advice is to go to a range that rents both and put a few rounds through each alternating until you have developed a preference.

·
Registered
445 Posts
ok, I know my .02 cents worth keeps getting returned :) but have you considered an M&P? They are very comfortable in the hand, as well as they have different grip sizes that help out a ton. I have shot both glocks and XD's and I liked the XD better. However after shooting the M&P and XD side by side, the M&P felt a little better.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Although the M&P is a GREAT gun, I would take the XD(M) over the M&P, if that is where you're heading. Can you tell I like XD's?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts