Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told by IMO ignorant people that the grip safety on the XD will not allow you to rack the slide with a less than optimum grip.

I think that this is BS.

So I made a video.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/m9_9CQpNG5I[/flash]

In this video, I was very annoyed, so sorry.

But in this video I rack the slide of my XD using two fingers. I could never fire the gun using only two fingers, but as you can see in the video, I sure as heck was able to rack the slide.

Anyone who cannot rack the slide on the XD due to the grip safety either has a severely damaged XD, or should not be shooting a gun, because you are probably missing one or two hands, and if you have only one hand, you are probably missing a couple of fingers. IMO.

Sorry, had to vent a little, All better now! :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Yeah, that's dumb... I've not heard that though, but I've certainly never had any problem racking my slide and I often don't grip it as tight or as high as I really should be.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I like my XD. I just get really tired of people saying crap they can't back up.

So I say my crap, then I back it up. Hence the video. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
The video was dark and hard to see how you gripped the pistol and I am not sure what you are trying to prove.

Are you saying that the XD can be racked without depressing the grip safety? I will have to check mine out when I get home but I have noticed on my XD45 Service that if the grip safety is not depressed, the slide will not move backward more than about 3/4 of an inch. I could not tell in your video if the grip safety was depressed or not.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah, I must be missing the point also.

Fact: The slide of the XD will not (or at least SHOULD not) slide more than an inch unless the grip safety is fully depressed.

Fact: As long as the grip safety is depressed, you can chamber a round regardless of how you grip the gun.

Is this what you're trying to prove?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I for one, don't see what you're trying to show. It looks like you do have the grip safety depressed, isn't that supposed to allow you to rack the slide? I think it is a non-issue and that it doesn't matter either way...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
thx997303 said:
... with a less than optimum grip...
I think this is the crucial part to understanding what thx is getting at.

I think what he's saying is that some people have told him that unless you hold the gun with a PERFECT grip that he won't be able to rack the slide. I have never heard this, so I could be wrong; but I presume that the argument is to not trust your life with an XD b/c in the heat of the moment you might fail to grip the gun as highly and tightly as you should and that, failing such a perfect grip, the XD will refuse to allow the slide to be pulled to the rear and you will be screwed.

OTOH, I have not found this to be a true. Yes, you have to depress the safety, clearly that's the point. But you certainly don't need an optimally-perfect grip in order for the safety to consider itself engaged -- which I think was thx's point.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, that is my point, and yep that was the argument that people made.

As you can see in the video, sorry it was dark, but I was gripping the XD with my index and middle finger. Which is obviously a less than optimum grip.

I could never fire the gun like that, but I could still rack the slide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts