342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3828823

Gunn again recommened to retreat even if you are in your own home. :disgusted:
Wheres the opposing view in this story?

Gun control advocates concerned after man nearly shoots teen
July 22nd, 2008 @ 2:05pm
By Tom Callan

Gun control advocates are reacting after a homeowner almost shot his dog-sitter when he mistook him for a burglar.

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, a West Jordan man fired shots at a teenager Sunday night when he mistook him for an intruder. The teen was actually watching the man's home and dogs while the man was away.

Luckily, the teen was not hit, but the case has some worried that the standard of thinking, when it comes to guns, is: open fire first, think second and then explain.

State law makes it clear: You are justified in using force to defend yourself in your home when you feel threatened. But Steve Gunn, with the Gun Violence Prevention Center, says too often morality and the law are in conflict.

"There's a moral aspect of this, and there's a legal aspect; and the two are not necessarily the same thing," Gunn said. "I think that there have been cases in Utah where people have been shot, where it was legally justifiable but not morally justifiable.

He recommends retreating from the use of force, even in your own home.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Let's just hope most folks see him and his comment for the stupid comment that it is.

Retreat while in your own home?!?!? Who is this guy kidding?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The onslaught continues... Recently I have begun to see a greater tide especially in the local media attacking guns and gun rights. The governor is on record that he doesn't like guns and on record that in measure wants CCW to be limited. And Obama certainly will make efforts to take guns away once he becomes Pres.

While not a gun owner myself. Once I purchase a new car, my next stop will be the local gun shop to pick up a pistol and a CCW. Then after that a membership in the NRA.

Then it's off to purchase an Assault Rifle. While I guess I could purchase a cheap one, my heart is set on a the civi HK416 when it comes out hopefully soon. But I honestly don't believe I will have the right to purchase such a gun soon. Within a year or two I believe Obama and the Democratic congress will take that right away.

Right now the media is just reconditioning the public to hate guns so the outcry will only be amongst the gun community rather than the majority of the citizens.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
My response to Tom Callan:

Your reporting style in this story makes it blatantly obvious that you are reporting an OPINION instead of the facts. You’ve tried too many times to appeal to the left, liberal side of the issues. I utterly refute what you and Mr. Gunn state in your article as nothing more than propaganda meant to sway the public toward tighter gun control. Guns don’t cause crime, people do. Guns don’t kill people, people do. Poorly done, Mr. Callan. Poorly done.
That guy has always gotten on my nerves. He seems to aggrandize stories that have little or no impact on what the general public deems as important. Pure tripe.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
tapehoser said:
Let's just hope most folks see him and his comment for the stupid comment that it is.

Retreat while in your own home?!?!? Who is this guy kidding?
I think he shot himself in the foot with that comment. Very few people are going to buy that line.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Regardless of what mr. gunn said, I think the homeowner should be charged. If I understand the story correctly that was pure negligence.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This story is an example of exactly why we should get out of the mindset of "just shoot".
But yeah, Gunn's an idiot. We already knew that though.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
burninator said:
Retreat, even while I'm in my own home? Nope, sorry
Agreed. Taking time to be sure of your target is a really good idea, though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good reason for everyone get a gun light and be sure of the target. I practice break in at my house with my wife. She thinks I'm nuts but complies cause it makes me happy. It's kind of fun really. Can't wait to have kids and get them in on the "game".

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
copper said:
While not a gun owner myself. Once I purchase a new car, my next stop will be the local gun shop to pick up a pistol and a CCW. Then after that a membership in the NRA.
Depending on the gun you purchase you could get a free NRA membership. Welcome to the forum copper, great first post.

:welcome:

·
Registered
378 Posts
swillden said:
burninator said:
Retreat, even while I'm in my own home? Nope, sorry
:agree:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Okay, I am a "Newbie", so if I am out of line, say so. But,
swillden said:
IDEA?! :huh: No, like Jeff said, RULE! (Sorry Swillden)

Obviously, we weren't there, but how much "in fear for his life" could he have been if the kid was caring for his dog? He couldn't see him, so he was not that close.

Granted, Mr. Gunn doesn't know what he is talking about, but this guy didn't obey the basic rules. And that my friends, gives us ALL a bad reputation. :thumbdn:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
TriciaDodge said:
swillden said:

Obviously, we weren't there, but how much "in fear for his life" could he have been if the kid was caring for his dog? He couldn't see him, so he was not that close.

Granted, Mr. Gunn doesn't know what he is talking about, but this guy didn't obey the basic rules. And that my friends, gives us ALL a bad reputation. :thumbdn:
Yeah I noticed in the article that it was dark in the house... he shouted asking if anyone was there and when he didn't hear any response he shot 3 shots into the dark... what an IDIOT... clearly it shows that this guy had no courage and self-control if he's so scared that he won't turn on any lights and shoots into the dark at "no response"... allowed to defend yourself in your own home? Absolutely. Allowed to be a scared little idiot running around shooting in the dark??? Personally I think he deserves an ND at the least.

·
Registered
295 Posts
swillden said:
Situational awareness is everything. Shooting at a human being without taking the time to be sure that it is (unfortunately) necessary is a luxury that hardly anyone can afford in both legal and moral terms. Police and military are specially trained to handle snap situations. Civvies, like me, aren't. I would agree that getting a gun light is a good idea, or perhaps some NVG :shades: but, if this guy did shoot randomly in the dark, he's an idiot, and idiots and guns do not mix with favorable results.

I guess this is one of the double-edged swords of relatively regulation-free gun ownership. I asked my wife (from Peru) about gun laws in Peru. She said that you have to pass 4 or 5 different competency tests (psychological being one of them) before you are allowed to legally own a gun. I wonder if this guy would have passed those tests. BTW, I'm not advocating anything like that, but I sure wouldn't mind getting some Peruvian riot police gear though...

I AM THE LAW! :D

--Geoff

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
TriciaDodge said:
swillden said:
Yeah, I was going for understatement. :lol:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yeah, I was going for understatement. :lol:

:thumbsup: Okay, that make better sense...I didn't really sound like something you would say...

·
Registered
701 Posts
bane said:
Yeah I noticed in the article that it was dark in the house... he shouted asking if anyone was there and when he didn't hear any response he shot 3 shots into the dark... what an IDIOT... clearly it shows that this guy had no courage and self-control if he's so scared that he won't turn on any lights and shoots into the dark at "no response"... allowed to defend yourself in your own home? Absolutely. Allowed to be a scared little idiot running around shooting in the dark??? Personally I think he deserves an ND at the least.
It begs to wonder why the teen didn't identify himself. If he was "authorized" to be in the home why wouldn't he Identify himself. Now I am not condoning the home owner shooting blindly, but I wonder if the teen was in the home with other intentions other than looking after the dog. We may never know the whole story but for sure the home owner shooting blindly should be charged that is just reckless!

This reminds me of a story a year or so ago where a dad shot his daughter while she was sneaking back in the house after she had snuck out.

1. Be sure of your target.
2. Be sure of your target.
3. Be sure of your target.

4. Get a flashlight by your bed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts