1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Janalee Tobias has been asked to be the one and only pro-RKBA voice on a
panel discussing the liberals' new-found "Freedom to be Safe from Gun
Violence." They call it "Freedom One." Marla Kennedy is one of the
panelists. It will be broadcast on KCPW 88.3 FM.

It will be held at the Salt Lake City Main Library Auditorium from 6:30 to
9:00 PM on Wednesday, Sept. 29. It is labeled as a "community dialogue" so
the audience will no doubt be offered a chance to express its views. Come
and be one of the voices in support of RKBA.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Well, I went to the debate. I met Al there (iampacking) for the first time and had a good chat. (Incidentally, we both agreed that a barbeque get-together amongst forum members would be a lot of fun.)

The panel was heavily stacked with anti-gun speakers. A couple of the speakers might be called neutral, but there was only one pro-gun speaker, Janalee Tobias (of Women Against Gun Control).

The single, clearest message that came from the anti-gun side was that we need to feel the emotion of the stories of the suffering that people go through when they are shot or they lose a loved one to gun-violence. That's the strongest argument that the gun-control proponents have, since the statistics that they cite are easily debunked. Don't get me wrong. It is terrible to lose a loved one to any accident or violent act, and my heart goes out to those who have gone through such an ordeal.

However, just like with Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), the wrong lesson is learned by some when a violent criminal goes on a killing spree. The criminal that killed her husband and wounded her son on a commuter train in a suburb of New York in 1993 committed that act in an already-established "defense-free zone", where no law-abiding citizens were allowed to carry the means to protect themselves. So, the gunman was able to stroll along, shooting passengers at random.

A very different lesson was learned by Texas State Rep. Suzanna Hupp who lost her parents to a crazed gunman at Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas. She decided to run for state office and was a main proponent of Texas' shall-issue CCW law. She recognized what many others don't -- that establishing "defense-free zones" (which the gun-banners call gun-free zones) only enables murderers to commit their crimes without fear of meeting armed resistance.

Anyway, back to the debate. As I said, the gun-banners threw out the stock (and thoroughly debunked) statistics about the effectiveness of gun-control, including the so-called Assault Weapons Ban. Of course, they always ignore the government studies which show that gun-control laws are ineffective, such as the CDC study released last year or the NIJ study mandated by the AWB (see links to those studies in another thread). Chief Dinse even told the story of how the North Hollywood shootout was committed by bank-robbers with "Assault Weapons", conveniently leaving out the fact that they were firing fully automatic machine guns that were already illegal. It wasn't until the last part of the debate when audience members were able to go to the microphone that our own W. Clark Aposhian called him on that fact, pointing out that the bank-robbers would have had to be licensed to possess Class-III destructive devices to have legally had machine guns. Oh, how convenient are the omissions of fact by the gun-banners. Chief Dinse had to admit that the weapons used by the bank-robbers were illegally modified to turn them into fully automatic arms, but then he went on to claim that this is a very easy thing to do, and that's why the AWB needs to be renewed. Sorry Chief, but it takes very specialized knowledge, tools and equipment to do that. Not so easy to do, and already against the law. The Chief also made a comment about how powerful these assault weapons are and that they can defeat bullet-proof vests. Hey Chief, so will my old 30-30 Winchester Model 94 hunting rifle, but only if I choose to commit a crime with it. And that's the point. It's not the gun. It's the heart turned to darkness behind the hand holding the gun which causes someone to commit a murder. Murders and assaults are committed with all kinds of weapons, including knives, bats, tire irons, golf clubs and cars. It just so happens that guns are generally the most effective means of self-defense against those who would do us harm.

Although the panel was heavily weighted against us, I thought that it was an interesting event. I especially liked the comments presented by the audience members, most of whom spoke in favor of the right to self-defense. It was well-worth attending.

·
Registered
208 Posts
good to meet you there jeff.
This was clearly a forum organized by someone with an agenda (anderson) with no effort made for fairness, balance or accuracy. Sitting directly behind him while he listened to the comments from the audience, I think he was genuinely suprised that everybody didn't just jump on the bandwagon with him. I think this is why, about 30 minutes before the scheduled end, he gave a hand wave to the moderator to "wrap-it-up". Microphone comments by folks were generally great--and 95% pro-2A.

As someone who generally favors local control government, I still have a hard time understanding the practical application of several of Rocky's suggestions--especialy that city government should be able to make regulations to trump state laws regarding guns. So, if I drive from SLC south thru 4(?) cities to get to provo/orem, how in the world am I supposed to keep the individual city laws straight?
The thing I thought was absolutely bizarre was the stance taken repeatedly by one of the antis-(somebody help me with who this imbecile is)-She repeatedly said that kids learn nothing from gun education and therefore it should not be taught to them. They do not have the self control to be able to follow the instructions. I suppose that we should do away with drug education or teaching young kids not to ride bikes into the street under the same logic. It would be her kids that I would be most afraid of--kids who have no education in what to do if a gun is found in a bush on the way to school. I'm counting on my kids to stop her kids from shooting somebody. What is the greater evil--to have taught them the lessons and they not followed when they needed it or for them to need the lesson and we have never taught them? I sleep better knowing that I have taught my kids what to do in a dangerous situation (finding a gun, finding a syringe, being offered drugs) and just hope they remember if ever needed.
She made a big point of saying several times that she believes this because professors at Duke say it is so. Well, this professor in Utah says maybe you should give kids a little more credit--they are not as dumb as you think. Believe it.

al

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Her name is Marla Kennedy, Spokesperson for the Utahn's against Gun Violence. Also should be called Utahn's against truth. My wife, who is a career educator was sitting next to me with our daughter. She was amazed at her stupidty. Marla is the same woman who also stated (twice) on KSL TV News that the Sunsetting of the AWB would mean machine guns would now be back on the streets. Anytime Marla speaks without a script prepared for her she says something stupid. Lat night was no exception.

Clark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts