Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Excellent! I think I'll send it to my representatives as well.

But, do you really believe it possible that the legislature would hold the LDS church liable for a shooting caused in it's gun-free environment??? Unless the 'places of worship' code were also repealed (which isn't going to happen), I doubt this will go anywhere.

As if to demonstrate the bill’s value, a private citizen with a CCW permit in Colorado shot and killed a madman intent on wiping out a congregation at church. The news media, behaving in a now-familiar manner, played down the incident, referring to the woman as a security guard.
Interesting. I have to admit that I haven't followed the news on the shooting very closely. It's unfortunate, but typically the immediate, often incomplete news at the onset is a lot more accurate than the crap the media creates in the days after a shooting.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
I think few businesses just arbitrarily deny us our rights. There's a lawyer behind every sign or policy

Businesses will always be sued as long as people have rights and lawyers have mortgages to pay.

A lawyer for a business simply has to determine if they are more liable with or without the No Guns sign or policy. Somebody can sue them because their little Johnny was shot because they DIDN'T have a "No Guns" sign. Alternatively, somebody can sue them because Jack wasn't allowed to defend himself BECAUSE of the "No Guns" sign. Either way they could be screwed. The lawyers job is to minimize the damage.

To most intelligent people it is silly to believe that the lack of a sign would cause somebody to shoot innocent people, but this is apparently the logic many businesses follow. Conversely, it makes plenty of sense to think that the restriction on ones ability to defend themselves could contribute to their death by someone that will disregard that restriction anyway.

A law that clarifies the liability of businesses (and churches, etc.) when they deny people their right to defense is very much in order. Still, with the hole that Utah dug by allowing churches to pre-empt legal carry, I find it difficult to believe that the legislature will backtrack and hold churches liable for something they gave them direct permission to do in the first place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.