Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering where you guys/girls carry your gun while driving in the car.

I got pulled over sunday (registration just expired i found out), and I had my Sig P229 in my blackhawk serpa holster in my glove box. All of the other times I have been pulled over while carrying (yes I speed too much :lol: ), I have had my gun on my hip. This was the first time that I've been pulled over with my gun in the glove box. The UHP officer came up to the passenger window and the conversation went as follows:

Me: "Hey officer, how are you doing?"

Officer: "Good thanks. Can I see your license and registration please?"

Me: "Sure." (I handed him my drivers liscence and CCW permit)

Officer: "Can I see your registration also?"

Me: "Ya, i'll grab it for you. Just so you're aware i am a CCW permit holder and i do have my weapon in my glove box. You can take it out before I grab my papers if you'd like."

Officer: "No it's ok you can leave it in there. Just don't touch it"

So I dug around in my glove box forever, trying to find the neccessary papers while not making any gestures towards grabbing my gun. Luckily the UHP officer was really cool and we chatted for a while about guns, movies, and traffic stops. He then ran my info and let me off with just a warning. The experience went really well but did leave me wondering where's the best place to carry my gun when in the car. My dilemma is this:

When I sit in my car with my gun in the holsters that I usually carry (galco concealable and blackhawk serpa), it seems like the access to my gun is very restricted. I'm not a big guy, 5' 10" 170 lbs, but when I sit in my car, my gun gets squished between the seat, my seat belt, and my side, making it very hard to draw quickly. I feel like I would have to put in alot of effort to draw my gun from that position if the situation ever arose.
On the other hand, having my gun in the glove box made the traffic stop a little more hectic. It was hard to dig around and find my papers with a gun and holster on top without moving my gun, and it seemed to make the LEO a little more tense.

I may be making a bigger deal out of this than I should, but really I was just wondering where you guys keep your guns while driving, and if there's a "best" way to carry while driving. Any advice would be appreciated!

B Cart

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Something else to consider... get a spare holster and attach it to your console somewhere out of the way but easy to reach...

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I carry mine on my hip as well. My Crossbreed holster I carry at 3-4 o'clock and would be hard to get out if I needed to in a hurry. My Serpa is uncomfy to drive with for too long, and is stuck under the seat belt. I would like to get another Serpa and attach it under the dash or something. I have also put it in my center console on occasion. If you keep your pistol in your glove box, you could always keep your papers in the center console if you have one, or vise versa....

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's illegal to shoot a gun from a car so there's no reason to need to draw quickly while in the car :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
hamm said:
It's illegal to shoot a gun from a car so there's no reason to need to draw quickly while in the car :)
It's also illegal to discharge a firearm in SL County :D . . . . .

If circumstances make it more comfortable/more accessible to not keep the gun on you while driving, I would just keep it separate from your reg. papers. When I take mine off in the car, I stash it in the center console. My papers are always in the glovebox. I think keeping them on the visor would be a great idea too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also carry mine in the center console. Works well for me. If I didn't have a center console I'd use Bane's suggestion. I used to have one of those paper holders over the visor and it worked well. But, It go old (like me) and I never got around to replacing it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
A big +1 for a document holder under the visor or somewhere else accessible where you're gun isn't. Several cops have told me that the likelihood of someone getting a ticket vs a warning increases with each second the driver forces them to stand in traffic, rain, sun, etc.

My gun is almost always on my hip when driving, but my vehicles both have a center console that fits the gun quite well when necessary.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Another consideration would be if you take your gun off in the car, what if you had to exit your vehicle in a hurry? You will then have to "remember" to retrieve your gun from the glove box. Instinct would make you first reach for your holster. I recommend training to draw from the seated position, or carry another gun in a more accessible location. I position my holster so I'm able to draw while seated.

gf

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Another idea to throw in the mix... sometimes when I'm in comfy clothes (read: baggy pants, no belt) and I'm just hopping in the car to run to a drive-thru or something like that I don't strap my gun on. I just place it on the passenger seat in it's holster in plain-view. If my wife goes with me, the gapping between my seat and my center console is just right that I can squeeze the gun/holster in between by lifting up on the seat cushion a bit. It stays in their so firm I can almost always draw from that position if I had to.

Another idea... a lot of cars nowadays have door-consoles. You could use that too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I sit in my car with my gun in the holsters that I usually carry (galco concealable and blackhawk serpa), it seems like the access to my gun is very restricted. I'm not a big guy, 5' 10" 170 lbs, but when I sit in my car, my gun gets squished between the seat, my seat belt, and my side, making it very hard to draw quickly. I feel like I would have to put in alot of effort to draw my gun from that position if the situation ever arose.

B Cart
I am having a rough time seeing how your gun is more restricted and harder to draw quickly from your side (including seat belt issues, etc.) than it is from the glove compartment. :huh: I keep mine either in its holster on the passenger seat, or in the center console. Does the car have door compartments?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I normally keep my GLOCK holstered in my SERPA while driving. Sure, it's covered by the seatbelt and would be difficult to deploy quickly, but i would rater keep it holstered. No sense in fumbling with a loaded handgun if you don't have to.

One suggestion is similar to the fire extinguiser on the windshield pillar concept, mount a holster on your dashboard. :mrgreen: I keep my extinguisher in the trunk.

fredgoodsell said:
It's also illegal to discharge a firearm in SL County :D . . . . .
This is not true. There are some places in Salt Lake County where shooting is not prohibited. The State has granted the authority to regulate the discharge of firearms to cities and towns only, not entire counties. Salt Lake County's "no shooting ordinance" is unlawful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SGT Jensen said:
This is not true. There are some places in Salt Lake County where shooting is not prohibited. The State has granted the authority to regulate the discharge of firearms to cities and towns only, not entire counties. Salt Lake County's "no shooting ordinance" is unlawful.
Interesting. . . .Learn something new. . . . . .

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
SGT Jensen said:
Are you sure about that? From what I can see in the law, it just says "local authorities", and I can't find anywhere that defines that term to only include municipalities.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
swillden said:
SGT Jensen said:
Are you sure about that? From what I can see in the law, it just says "local authorities", and I can't find anywhere that defines that term to only include municipalities.
The only authority that the State has given to counties regarding firearms is in 23-13-17 regarding spotlighting.

This one is not spelled out in black and white, so you have to put all of this together to make any sense of it. Here you go.

10-1-103. Construction.
The powers herein delegated to any municipality shall be liberally construed to permit the municipality to exercise the powers granted by this act except in cases clearly contrary to the intent of the law.

10-1-104. Definitions.
As used in this title:
(5) "Municipality" means a city of the first class, city of the second class, city of the third class, city of the fourth class, city of the fifth class, or a town, as classified in Section 10-2-301.

10-8-47. Intoxication -- Fights -- Disorderly conduct -- Assault and battery -- Petit larceny -- Riots and disorderly assemblies -- Firearms and fireworks -- False pretenses and embezzlement -- Sale of liquor, narcotics or tobacco to minors -- Possession of controlled substances -- Treatment of alcoholics and narcotics or drug addicts.
They may prevent intoxication, fighting, quarreling, dog fights, cockfights, prize fights, bullfights, and all disorderly conduct and provide against and punish the offenses of assault and battery and petit larceny; they may restrain riots, routs, noises, disturbances or disorderly assemblies in any street, house or place in the city; they may regulate and prevent the discharge of firearms, rockets, powder, fireworks or any other dangerous or combustible material; they may provide against and prevent the offense of obtaining money or property under false pretenses and the offense of embezzling money or property in all cases where the money or property embezzled or obtained under false pretenses does not exceed in value the sum of $100 and may prohibit the sale, giving away or furnishing of intoxicating liquors or narcotics, or of tobacco to any person under twenty-one years of age; cities may, by ordinance, prohibit the possession of controlled substances as defined in the Utah Controlled Substances Act, provided the conduct is not a class A misdemeanor or felony, and provide for treatment of alcoholics, narcotic addicts and other persons who are addicted to the use of drugs or intoxicants such that they substantially lack the capacity to control their use of the drugs or intoxicants, and judicial supervision may be imposed as a means of effecting their rehabilitation.

10-8-94. Towns with same authority as cities.
Towns have the same powers and authority granted to cities under this chapter, in addition to other powers conferred by law, but subject to the following:
(1) The town council may enact ordinances providing for the public safety, health, morals, and welfare of the town which are not prohibited, preempted by, or inconsistent with, the policy of state or federal law or the constitution of Utah or the United States, or attempt to regulate an area which by the nature of the subject requires uniform state regulation.
(2) The town council:
(a) may lay out, construct, open, and keep in repair canals, water ditches, or water pipes to conduct water for artificial light and power purposes, and construct, own, and operate artificial light and power plants;
(b) may construct, own, and operate water pipes for irrigation, domestic, or other use for the inhabitants of the town; and
(c) may annually assess and collect a special tax of not to exceed .0008 per dollar of taxable value of taxable property in the town for those purposes.

53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property. (6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Also, this from Utah Gun Law, 3rd Edition, by Mitch Vilos.

Chapter III, Gun Owners' Guantlet
Question 27. (Page 17)

Mitch Vilos said:
True or False?? Cities and towns have been given authority by the Legislature to pass ordinance regulating the discharge of firearms, but the counties can only pass ordinances regulating spotlighting and night hunting.
Chapter IV, Answers to gun owners' gauntlet
27. Answer (Page 24)

Mitch Vilos said:
TRUE! See the discussion in U.C.A. 10-8-47 and Chapter IX. I had a client who was arrested for violating Salt Lake County's ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms anywhere in the county except shooting ranges. The Salt Lake County prosecuter dismissed the case when I proved to him that counties have never been the authority to regulate the discharge of firearms except for night hunting.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Thanks, Kevin. That makes sense to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts