Utah Guns Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
The seat buddy looks like a good idea but i would have to practice with it before i even considered using it. The draw seems awkward to me, reaching ALL the way across your body to grab your piece. Another thing to factor in is, how many car doors come right up to the seats edge? I know mine does, if my cell phone falls inbetween my door and my seat i cant retrieve it. I don't know if i could squeeze my Glock in that spot.

You could mount a Serpa somewhere and it would be sweet, it still might make LEOs nervous than if it is out of sight and out of reach.

You could try a shoulder holster. Those are very comfy to wear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've found it very convenient to keep my registration and Insurance paperwork (and anything else pertinent, ie while renting a car, etc) in a ziplock bag in the glove box or on the visor, and when pulled over, immediately pull it out and set it on the passenger seat, or in the console in-between... Then flick on the dome light and get the hands in view... Makes it easier when you don't need to rummage for papers... :auto: :cop:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think the best way to go is to just keep the traffic laws and thus avoid being pulled over all together. However, for some people that just isn't an options and I myself have been pulled over a few times in the past but it's interesting to note that I have not once been pulled over while not breaking some traffic law.

I like the idea of having all of your papers nicely together in a plastic bag or a little book that you can just pull out together. That way even if you do decide to keep your gun in the glove box you can get the bag out before the officer has even gotten close to your car. Personally I prefer to keep the gun on my side in its normal position even when i'm in the car, it might take some practice to figure out how to best draw it if you need to but I still think it can be done as fast if not faster than trying to find and draw it from somewhere in the car. The only time I change that is on long road trips. I don't believe its possible to have a holster/gun comfortable enough to wear in the car for 8+ hours.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Jon said:
I don't believe its possible to have a holster/gun comfortable enough to wear in the car for 8+ hours.
Then you have the wrong holster! ;)
I have worn my gun on several occasions on 6-hour road trips, with no problem. I don't think I've done an 8-hour+ with a gun yet, but at 6-hours I'm still going strong so I doubt a few more hours would change that much. Look into the Crossbreed holsters, that's what I use and love it.

I agree with your assessment of being able to draw faster (or at least as fast) from the holster being on your hip while seated in the car than from the glovebox. An additional consideration is what if you have to bail out of your car IMMEDIATELY... if it's on your hip, you retain your firearm. If it's in the glovebox, you might not have the chance to retrieve it before exiting the vehicle.

Additionally, it is worth reflecting on the fact that *ALL* LEO's wear their sidearm on their belt while driving -- they don't remove it and place it in their glovebox. The fact that that's how they handle their firearm while driving should be considered as prudent example.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
bane said:
Additionally, it is worth reflecting on the fact that *ALL* LEO's wear their sidearm on their belt while driving -- they don't remove it and place it in their glovebox. The fact that that's how they handle their firearm while driving should be considered as prudent example.
Yeah, but they also have a shotgun mounted between the seats.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
xRapidDavex said:
bane said:
true; but aren't those usually locked into place?

·
Registered
572 Posts
bane said:
xRapidDavex said:
bane said:
true; but aren't those usually locked into place?
All depends on the mounting device. There are many models on the market. Some unlock with a hidden switch, others use biometric locks, and still others use a standard handcuff key.

I'm totally for keeping my SD gun on my person. I ran several "what if" scenarios through my mind and the gun in the glove box doesn't work for me. If I had to bail from my vehicle in a hurry, I'd have to secure my firearm AND unbuckle the little one from his car seat. Having the gun holstered on me saves a step.

gf

21 - 29 of 29 Posts