Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From The Park Record

Gun misfires, kills man
Weapon was still in its holster
Patrick Parkinson, Of the Record staff
Article Launched: 07/29/2008 05:34:41 PM MDT

A man was shot to death by his own gun in the Uinta Mountains when the pistol accidentally discharged, the authorities said.
The body of Salt Lake County resident Jon Klopfenstein, 55, was found in the Sulphur area of the forest July 12 at 7:29 p.m. He died from a single gunshot wound, investigators said.

"Initially, we thought it was a suicide," said Josh Wall, a spokesman for the Summit County Sheriff's Office. "The officers on scene, and the medical examiner from our office determined that this was actually an accidental discharge."

The 9 mm pistol involved in the shooting is a "cheap, junk gun" made in Israel, Wall explained.

The weapon discharged while strapped in its holster, he said.

"The gun gets hit on the hammer and discharges the round in the chamber," Wall said. "The bullet hit the guy in the belly from below."

The weapon might have struck the ground or exterior of the vehicle, Wall said.

"He fell outside the car, so we're thinking he is probably getting in or out of the car when this happens," he added. "The empty round was still in the chamber He could have been putting it in the car and it fell to the ground."

Nobody saw the shooting occur.

"Somebody just came across him laying there dead," Wall said, adding that officers do not suspect foul play. "This appears to be his gun and he was there alone, as far as we are aware."

:mod: Fixed your link

·
Registered
295 Posts
UT68 said:
The 9 mm pistol involved in the shooting is a "cheap, junk gun" made in Israel, Wall explained.

The weapon discharged while strapped in its holster, he said.

"The gun gets hit on the hammer and discharges the round in the chamber," Wall said. "The bullet hit the guy in the belly from below."
Anyone familiar with this particular firearm? You know, so I don't go out and buy it? Bummer for this guy...

--Geoff

·
Registered
230 Posts
:shock:

Very interesting.

I'm not familiar with the particular gun, but this kind of story makes me thankful for things like firing pin blocks and other safety features of modern well-made guns. My Beretta, for example, has a block which automatically comes between the two parts of the firing pin. Only when the trigger is pulled nearly all the way does the mechanism raise up and out of the way allowing the firing pin to strike the primer.

The man's gun obviously had no such block, and just the right jolt to just the right spot in just the right direction was enough to bump the firing pin and discharge the round.

I've accidentally dropped my gun once or twice on carpet, and jumped away from it instinctively in case it went off, though the possibility of this happening is remote enough to be nearly non-existant.

The moral of this story is: spend the money on a GOOD gun; and if you don't, be VERY careful.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How can one shot to the belly kill you that fast? Sorry, when I was in CFP class the teacher kept reminding us that we could survive a gun shot...granted it wasn't to the head or heart. But seriously, I'm thinking that the shock killed him more than the wound it's self. That's just my opinion though. We may never know.

Note to self...avoid "cheap, junk guns made in Israel"
:thumbdn:

·
Registered
230 Posts
PW said:
I can't get the link to work to read the story, but I am still confused on how a holstered gun can shoot you in the belly....
It falls with its barrel pointing at your belly and hits the ground or something between your belly and the ground. Since it's a cheap gun (probably a semi-auto) without any safety on the firing pin, the shock is enough to bump or bounce or otherwise move the firing pin with enough force to ignite the primer in the bullet, thereby shooting it into your belly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The grammar the police "Spokesman" used, the lack of local media coverage, and the odd situation leads me to believe this story is bogus. Journalists are about as reliable as the "Israeli" made weapon they referred to.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
mchlwise said:
PW said:
I can't get the link to work to read the story, but I am still confused on how a holstered gun can shoot you in the belly....
It falls with its barrel pointing at your belly and hits the ground or something between your belly and the ground. Since it's a cheap gun (probably a semi-auto) without any safety on the firing pin, the shock is enough to bump or bounce or otherwise move the firing pin with enough force to ignite the primer in the bullet, thereby shooting it into your belly.
Here is what the story said:
"The weapon discharged while strapped in its holster.." I didn't fall out and discharge.
I still think something is very fishy with this story. I would be interesting to get some more info such as make of gun for one.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
This is a sad tragedy.

The guns I know of from Isreal are from Magnum Research. These include the Desert Eagle and Baby Eagle which are very well made. There was another company, Isreal Arms, that sold some 1911's but if I recall correctly they were made in the US, were not the highest quality, and are no longer in business.

If it was a 1911, he should have been carrying it cocked and locked. If the hammer and sear were made of quality materials then it would be difficult to overcome the sear and even more difficult (near impossible) if the gun was carried cocked and locked. There have been instances where the hammer has bent before the the sear or thumb safety broke.

If he was carrying a single action pistol or revolver with the hammer down on a loaded chamber then he made a fatal mistake.

·
Registered
230 Posts
PW said:
Here is what the story said:
"The weapon discharged while strapped in its holster.." I didn't fall out and discharge.
The story also says:
"The gun gets hit on the hammer and discharges the round in the chamber," Wall said. "The bullet hit the guy in the belly from below." The weapon might have struck the ground or exterior of the vehicle, Wall said.

Since they believe it might have struck the ground or exterior of the vehicle, and it hit the guy in the belly from below, it sounds to me like the holster was dropped with the weapon still in it. Like maybe he just got there or was just leaving, and was taking the holster off or putting it on and it slipped, hitting something and discharging.

:dunno:

·
Registered
295 Posts
:agree: Best explanation I've heard so far. This story just reinforces the importance of certain safety mechanisms for me...

--Geoff

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was camping at Soapstone and cooking dinner on the 12th when the Sheriff and an Ambulance raced up the highway with lights and sirens. Now I know what that was all about.

Very sad. Know your weapon, and carry it safely!

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Queen Kat said:
How can one shot to the belly kill you that fast? Sorry, when I was in CFP class the teacher kept reminding us that we could survive a gun shot...granted it wasn't to the head or heart. But seriously, I'm thinking that the shock killed him more than the wound it's self.
The variety of responses to bullet wounds is nothing short of amazing. Some people have taken a dozen fatal wounds, including shots through the aorta, the neck, etc., and kept fighting for minutes. The guy in the recent FBI report was incredibly tough. Others have died from wounds that should have been easily survivable.

A bullet to the "belly" can mean a lot of different things in terms of what organs it hits and what blood vessels it opens. A bullet through your liver, for example, is very, very hard to survive, especially if it opens the hepatic artery or vein. You'll bleed out internally in minutes. If, on the other hand, it just perforates some intestines, you can live for many days without medical care.

So, just about anything is believable.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have seen people with very bad gun shot wounds survive and others with less serious wounds die. It is amazing how the human body or mind for that matter will react to something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts