Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Lee Kay Center has done this?

I gather the reason a range might do this is supposedly they want to ban AP ammo for tearing up facilities, and evidently steel ammo causes more fires? I guess they're doing it in CA regularly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Lee Kay USED to ban steel jacket ammo, due to the mistaken perception of management that it caused more range damage.
A test was conducted between steel jacket 7.62x39, steel jacket .223 and steel jacket .308 vs copper jacket (US military ball) ammo shooting 1/4" thick carbon steel plate. There was no appreciable difference and the ban was lifted. Common sense prevailed. Full a/p ammo is still banned.
As a side note: the round that did the most damage that day was a handloaded .221 fireball shot from an XP-100. There is an ashtray at the entrance to the pistol range out there made from that piece of plate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know that Lee Kay stopped the practice. I've got a bunch of Greek .30-06 to shoot through my M1 that attracts a magnet, and I'd hate to be prohibited from shooting it there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Bountiful gets concerned in the summer/dry months. More of a fire danger concern rather than anything else. Not sure how valid that is, but heh, their land their rules.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
I was at the Bountiful range a few days after the entire mountainside caught on fire because some hosewad was using tracer ammo. In the summer. Dummy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
tapehoser said:
I was at the Bountiful range a few days after the entire mountainside caught on fire because some hosewad was using tracer ammo. In the summer. Dummy.
It is my understanding that tracer ammo is illegal to use in Utah anyway, because of the fire hazard.

Yep, here it is:
U.C.A. 65A-3-2. Prohibited acts on state lands.
(1) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who:
(a) throws or places any lighted cigarette, cigar, firecracker, ashes, or other flaming or glowing substance which may cause a fire on a highway or wildland;
(b) obstructs the state forester, or any of his deputies, in the performance of controlling a fire;
(c) refuses, on proper request of the state forester or any of his deputies, to assist in the controlling of a fire, without good and sufficient reason; or
(d) fires any tracer or incendiary ammunition anywhere except within the confines of established military reservations.
(2) Fines assessed under this section are deposited in the General Fund.
(emphasis added)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
Does that apply to State Lands only (as the title of the code denotes)? Or does it include private property as well (as a range such as the Bountiful Lion's Club)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
Does that apply to State Lands only (as the title of the code denotes)? Or does it include private property as well (as a range such as the Bountiful Lion's Club)?
According to the range master up there the city of Bountiful is in the process of taking possession of the land. Something about a land exchange with the Forest Service that is a result of the lawsuit from Salt Lake City over development up Mueller Canyon. The range is currently under a forest service lease and will be part of a Bountiful City/Forest Service land swap. Again all of this info comes from one of the old guys who run the range. In the somewhat near future the range will be Bountiful City land, Lions club run. The range master appeared to be optimistic that there would be some basic improvements to the range such as plumbing and better road maintenance. Only time will tell. If anyone else can confirm this please do so. Oh, and sorry for the thread hijacking. :thijack:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
Does that apply to State Lands only (as the title of the code denotes)? Or does it include private property as well (as a range such as the Bountiful Lion's Club)?
I think that it's fairly simple, "(1) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: (d) fires any tracer or incendiary ammunition anywhere except within the confines of established military reservations."
(again, emphasis added)

Fires started on private land just don't know how to stop at the boundary between private and public land.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
I think that it's fairly simple, "(1) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: (d) fires any tracer or incendiary ammunition anywhere except within the confines of established military reservations."
(again, emphasis added)
That's not how I interpreted it. Because the entire section of the law is applying to state lands, I read it as, "A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: (d) fires any tracer or incendiary ammunition anywhere ON STATE LANDS except within the confines of established military reservations."

As such, I don't believe it's illegal to shoot tracer ammo on your own property or at a private range. I'm not a lawyer, but that is the way I interpret it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,563 Posts
To quote Mitch Vilos:
This statute is confusing at best.
A further quote from Mitch's book:
The Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification takes the position that this prohibits shooting tracers anywhere in the state except military installations, but the title of this code section seems to confine the prohibition to "state lands." You MIGHT be able to get away with shooting tracers on private land.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
Car Knocker said:
To quote Mitch Vilos:
This statute is confusing at best.
A further quote from Mitch's book:
The Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification takes the position that this prohibits shooting tracers anywhere in the state except military installations, but the title of this code section seems to confine the prohibition to "state lands." You MIGHT be able to get away with shooting tracers on private land.
Hence his assertion in his books that it is easy to inadvertently become a felon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
I enjoy having a weapons permit to much to risk the coolness of tracers :violin:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top