Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo I was looking at my headboard today. And it looks like it could become a nice place to keep my shotty, rifle and spare mags and ammo for all that and my pistol.
heres a link to it
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... sn_results

So i was thinking of maybe hinging it and putting in some wood bracing that had deep U slots in them that would hold my shotgun. I was thinking I could do a magnetic latch that when you pushed against it and then released it would unhook. And using a piano hinge at the bottom. The whole thing would then hinge down so I could open it with out having to move pillows or my wife. Then i would build a rack on the inside so the guns wouldn't be on the part that moves. Heres the sketch up.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/ ... board1.jpg

Anyway give me some feedback about what ya think. Mostly this is for keeping a long guns close to me that can be in my hands in a matter of seconds but isn't out in the open.

Bit extreme or good idea?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think there are thing already on the market that will save you time and money. maybe look at a locking rack that bolts to the wall or even a cheap safe to put next to your bed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought about getting this http://www.the-backup.com/buy/commercial.php but the gun is still kinda out in the open if I'm slobby and don't make the bed. I'll keep thinking about it. Not doing anything is really getting to me. I'm starting to look at everything in the house as a project. I gotta get better and get back to work. Its been 8 months so far with nothing to do.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The Backup looks like a piece of crap to me. Heck, I could make that in a couple hours...

I would get something that secures the firearm (a must if you have small children in the house). Another reason to secure your firearms is to guard against theft. I use the GunVault for my handgun, but haven't found something I really like for a shotty. If you find something you like, I am definitely interested.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup still looking. No kids in my house but I still don't want to have a loaded shotgun sitting around in the open. I'd be very happy with a safe but there's not room in my apartment for even a small safe. I'm not to impressed with the holder by the bed since I think it would keep me from being able to get the full use out of my bed. I'd hate to have it drop my gun when I was in the middle of something.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh I wish i had 3k for furniture, I'd be sitting on a nice leather recliner couch with a huge flat screen TV and sleeping on a mattress on the floor. The in-laws pitched in as an wedding present. My wife wouldn't let me return it so I'm stuck with it, might as well make it functional since boredom is slowly killing me. :nilly:

Ohhh nice rack! :lol3: Might get one for the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
This is how I keep my pistol at night.

I stuck a duty belt I had between one of the mattresses and the box spring of my bed, and attach my Serpa using the paddle.

Now it's really accessible, the trigger guard is covered, and I think it's just cool.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
thx997303 said:
I stuck a duty belt I had between one of the mattresses and the box spring of my bed, and attach my Serpa using the paddle.

Now it's really accessible, the trigger guard is covered, and I think it's just cool.
That's a neat idea, pretty inventive you are!

Is it less secure if you unrolled the belt and put each half of the duty belt further between the mattress and box springs? I was just thinking that it might fall out when coiled (uncoiled would put it in further). Give it a try and let me know :thumbsup:

G

·
I somehow doubt its that comfortable. I have two beds the one I can sometimes sleep in with the wife and the one I usually sleep in. So which one do I put the gun on?

Its not what you may be thinking I don't often sleep deeply and, wen I do most of the time you don't want to be in the same bed or wake me with anything short of a six foot stick.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The belt isn't coiled, it's twisted to present the flat side outward with the other ends laid flat out under the mattress. Kinda like the support our troops ribbons.

And as far as comfort, I have two mattresses and then the box spring so I don't notice it at all.

OH, and it allows me a natural draw stroke.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
thx997303 said:
The belt isn't coiled, it's twisted to present the flat side outward with the other ends laid flat out under the mattress. Kinda like the support our troops ribbons.
Cool! That's exactly what I was trying to explain... neato.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have something similar to the "backup" bed mounted shotty rack, but it has a lock on it too that can be used if desired. I also used a cheap holster and attached it to my bed (can be done in a number of different ways, pm me if interested) and it hides under the bed skirt for easy draw, but good concealment.

I have seen pillow holsters too for handguns, and heard of someone getting creative with a shotty in one of thoes sleepnumber beds (stuck between the 2 matteresses in the center, with a velcro seam in the sheet for easy access)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts