Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
NotSoSimple said:
I have Open Carried before, but in the mountains, at the range, never in public. I have read all that I can both here, opencarry.org, and through state laws so I feel pretty well versed.

But I seem hesitant for some odd reason. Anyone hesitant before they started OC? I am assuming it is one of those 'Just do it' cases.
I don't even care any more. I feel like I am doing something wrong when I CCW, eventhough I have a permit. It feel like I am doing something when I am CCWing although I am within the law.

OC..., take it for a breather boys :lol2:

Start small. OC in the house, then the yard, then the local store etc

TJ

· Registered
350 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:
NotSoSimple said:
UTOC-45-44 said:
Start small. OC in the house, then the yard, then the local store etc
Yup been OCing in the house yesterday and today. Im carrying as we speak. It helps the wife too, as she was uneasy but she starts seeing that it is not impeding with everyday life and it's not so bad.

Couple more days around the house and then I will venture out.
My wife is actually glad that I don't worry so much about keeping my gun hidden when we are out. She thinks that others seeing my gun will make the bad guys do some where else.

Tarzan
Yeah, in the beginning my wife was a little bit hesitant to me OCing because she didn't want attention for the PD's. After my "encounters" with the different PD's even when she has been around she feels better.

Tarzan...my wife now agrees with your wife. Are they twins or are we just lucky :crown: .

TJ

· Registered
350 Posts
yung1s#2 said:
safeguy said:
I have tried open carry and don't like it (although it has its place). I dont want to be noticed and if you OC you definately attract attention to yourself. Further, people who never knew you were a carrier will always suspect you and forever treat you different if they are hoplophobic. People get weird and treat you like Cain (a murderer). On the other hand the few times I have inadvertently broken cover, or carried OC, have sometimes been an opportunity to talk to someone about guns. Some would say if you OC you should also wear a T-shirt with a bullseye on it and the words "Shoot me first". The element of stealth and surprise is lost. Well there. I did it. Now the OC posse is going to flame me. Here is the olive branch. OC has its place and functions, I just prefer not to.
Almost my exact same thoughts!
:flamethrower: :flamethrower: :flamethrower:

:lolbang: :ROFL: :lol3:

TJ

· Registered
350 Posts
PW said:
GeneticsDave said:
PW said:
This is one of the reasons why I don't OC. I have nothing against OC, I just don't want to get bothered and have my time wasted by ignorant people. I really appreciate those that have the time to deal with the consequences of OC, and I may do it some day when I have nothing better to do and won't be bothered by spending an hour with the cops. I am just too busy to deal with the wasted time if someone calls the cops and the cops are ignorant. Yes it is a great education opportunity, I guess I just don't want to be the one doing the educating.....
To each their own. I have found a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment whilst educating. I have also had a lot of people thank me for it as well. For many, this is a hazy subject, something they don't know much of and are therefore anxious about. Being able to explain things and wipe away the haze has been very rewarding.
I would have no problem educating the public. I simply don't want to be the one educating Law Enforcement.
PW, I enjoy helping the public to understand the legality of OCing and they thank me for it and are also a little bit surprised that this is not widely know.

When it comes to LEO's...,well that's a TOTALLY separate issue.

Due to some very...interesting encounters in West Valley City the local P.D now knows that OCing IS legal. The last encounter at Albertsons on 35th S & 36th W was a very pleasant and relaxed one. I VERY much applaud the LEO's that came and talked to me. They were VERY courteous.

If it takes 1 city at a time to help LEO's to understand the legality of it (OCing) that's the way it MAY have to happen.

TJ

· Registered
350 Posts
whiptrackercracker said:
+1 Its amazing to me how much of the time people don't notice an openly carried gun. I do think tac holsters and cowboy rigs do increase your chances of people noticing. I agree that most of the time no one notices or cares. Unfortunately those times when people do care it usually ends up with a talk to LEO that can frustrating. I think those get mentioned more mearly because people want to vent. I can't blame them, its difficult when you get treated like your breaking the law when your not. But, its very true that most of the time, its not going to be an issue whatsoever.
I don't wear the "Cowboy" rig as often anymore. I just carry a S&W 4006 (.40) in a shoulder holster along with my Kimber (.45) in a Serpa Right Strong Side :crown:

TJ

· Registered
350 Posts
xmirage2kx said:
You read about every time where stuff happens while OC-ing, but you almost never hear about when nothing happens (shy first times). I have OC-ed Hundreds if not thousands of times and never received more than the occasional odd glance 99% of the time (even with a full sized black pistol on a white shirt). There are people like TJ (UTOC-44-45) with his cowboy outfit and SGTJensen with his thigh holster and airport trips that have plenty of stories to share because the have chosen to move outside of the norm (assuming doing anything while OC-ing can be called normal) but to just go about your daily routine only with a gun showing on your hip really isn't a big thing. Most people won't see anything going on more than 5 feet in front of them, and with all the things we carry on our belts these days a gun doesn't even stand out in most cases.
"and with all the things we carry on our belts these days a gun doesn't even stand out in most cases"

My kimber looks very much like a PDA = Personal Defense Apparatus :lolbang:

TJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.