Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Nobody burst out laughing at me. Yes, I bought a HiPoint. Let me explain. I have actually been looking at them for a while now. They were on sale at Smith and Edwards Saturday for $130. Now how can you possibly pass on a brand new $130 .40 S&W handgun that is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty. I couldn't. I figured what is there to loose really....$130....I can turn around and sell is on KSL.com for that much any day of the week, so I bought it. For those of you that haven't seen a HiPoint, here it is:
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... p?Gun=40SW
They also had the 9MM on sale for $110 and my buddy bought one as his first handgun. So anyway, I was actually pretty excited to go shoot it. After shooting 99 rounds (should have made it an even 100, but didn't) I am EXTREMELY pleased with my purchase. It went bang every single time I pulled the trigger. No misfeeds, jams, or anything. I ran 50 rounds of the cheapest WOLF ammo I could get my hands on through it. I ran 40 PMC brass rounds through it. And I ran 9 Federal HYDRASHOCK rounds through it. There was not 1 single problem. (I did clean it before I took it to the range.) It was actually pretty darn good to handle and I thought it shot well. I did some rapid fire (I won't post any of those embarrassing targets...I do know what I need to work on). It worked fine pulling the trigger as quick as I could.

Now I will be the first to admit, that it is an UGLY sucker. It doesn't have any bells and whistles and no real features to speak of. However, if you just want a CHEAP gun that is fun to shoot, this is it. I actually was just grinning from ear to ear at the range as I shot the gun. I couldn't believe that a $130 gun actually worked and was this much fun to shoot. I kind of felt like I had gotten away with an absolute steal....maybe thats why I was grinning. Now I have read plenty of posts on other forums of people who think the HiPoint is an absolute POS. It is heavy and ugly and pretty clunky looking. However, in my hand it shot great. I would not recommend it as a carry piece or as your main firearm, but man for $130 I don't have one single complaint. My buddies 9MM (HiPoint) shot great too. This gun is great for the price!

Here are a few of my targets at 10 yards.

This first target is the first 10 rounds EVER through this gun. The rest are just other targets to show this wasn't a fluke. Enjoy:

-PW

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've actually been thinking of picking one up for plinking around and to have in the last spot in my house where there isn't ready access to a gun. Besides, if (when?) the gun fails when you need it, you can always throw the 10 pound brick of steel at the bad guy, right? :lol:

I didn't know they came with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am really suprised that you actually like this gun. They are so loose and rattley. I couldn't stand to shoot the one my friend purchased, not to mention. The accuracy was terrible (your groups are about as good as the gun was capable of) and that was just not acceptable. I am glad you got a new toy, but I would have saved the $130, or spent it on ammo for a different gun. Keep it safe, B

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tacomatose said:
I am glad you got a new toy, but I would have saved the $130, or spent it on ammo for a different gun.
To each his own.

As a side note I ran a shaken up 12 oz. can of soda (Diet Mountain Dew) out to 50 yards and hit it on my 6th shot. I was shooting off of a bench resting the grip of the gun on a shooting rest. I can say also that I really made the pop can nervous on the first 5 shots. One of the shots (the 3rd I think) hit the dirt directly under the can and made it slide down the hill a foot. On the 6th shot, BOOM, soda can didn't exist anymore. I think the accuracy is fine. The groups are consistent with what I shoot on my other guns. Maybe I am just a crappy shot to begin with, but in the hands of an amateur like me, I thought it shot very acceptable groups. Now given I don't know what a pro would do with the gun. I do know that a biased opinion to begin with does affect any outcome and opinion.....

Next time I go to the range, I will shoot a 10 shot group from the bench, making sure to hold the gun good and steady and we can see what kind of group a steady hand can do with it. :p

As a side note, I have shot $130 of ammo in one trip to the range between my AR and handguns (as I'm sure many of you also have) so $130 on a functioning gun still seems like a BARGAIN! I also just plain enjoy "tinkering" with my guns. Taking them apart and cleaning them is relaxing to me so I get some value out of tinkering with a new gun also!

-PW

G

·
Only gripe I have with the Hi-Point is how annoying it is to field strip. Any weapon that requires extra tools to strip therefore pisses me off.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ishpeck said:
Only gripe I have with the Hi-Point is how annoying it is to field strip. Any weapon that requires extra tools to strip therefore pisses me off.
It does require a pin punch to remove the slide retainer pin. And a screwdriver to remove the handles if needed. I wouldn't want to field strip this gun, thats for sure. Working on it at home though, no problem.

But hey, what do you expect for $130?

-PW

·
Registered
125 Posts
PW said:
Tacomatose said:
I am glad you got a new toy, but I would have saved the $130, or spent it on ammo for a different gun.
To each his own.

As a side note I ran a shaken up 12 oz. can of soda (Diet Mountain Dew) out to 50 yards and hit it on my 6th shot. I was shooting off of a bench resting the grip of the gun on a shooting rest. I can say also that I really made the pop can nervous on the first 5 shots.

-PW
I am not sure what you meant by the "biased opinion" comment, so I will just leave that one alone.....

If you actually hit the can at 50 yards, then that is quite an accomplishment. I do however, get a bunch of these type of comments from students in my classes, bragging about how good of a shot they are, and most of them have no concept of yards vs feet. I am not saying that you can't tell the difference, you sound like you shoot fairly often (AR's and other guns). I am not trying to slop mud on your birthday cake, I am just very disappointed in the design, function, and accuracy of all of the hi-points I have used.

I would like to see the groups from the rest next time you are at the range, maybe you lucked out and actually got a decent one. Most of the major firearms manufacturers have flaws every now and then....maybe Hi-point did also and it actually made it better :wink:

You can't ever have too many toys, keep it safe, B

·
Registered
143 Posts
My opinion is: You can't argue with a cheap plinker. My brother-in-law has a hi-point 9mm, and loves it. It doesn't get shot a bunch, but he's never had a problem with it feeding practice ammo. It's bulky and ugly, and I wouldn't trust my life to it, but trigger time is trigger time. He also has their 9mm carbine, which is basically a pistol action with a longer barrel and plastic shoulder stock. I've shot both, and they are fun toys.

If you have a problem with Hi-Point's reliability factor, consider this: Buy an unreliable pistol and you can get more practice clearing malfunctions. :)

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By biased, I simply meant that many people simply have their mind made up before they try something. I fit into this category many times. If you think something is junk before you try it, most likely you will still think it is junk after you have tried it. I don't know you at all, but I do know that many people often have their minds made up before they ever try something. Again, I fit this mold often!!! I'm not picking on you, just pointing out that many people think HiPoints are garbage and many of those people have never shot them, at least you have shot one. Still if you think they are junk before you shot it, your probably going to still think its junk after you shoot it.

Yes, I do know 50 yards. I also know feet as I have a 16' foot tape measure on my belt every single day of the week. 18 years in the Boy Scouts of America has also taught my how to pace off distances pretty darn close. (I happend to step 5 feet per pace....makes it real easy for me.) The range I shoot at has berms at 50 and 100 yards. It also actually has shooting benches and they are even covered. I'm not just guessing at the yardage. I even have a witness that watched me hit the soda can. Now could I do it again. Absolutely. How many rounds would it take? Who knows. I was surprised when I hit it on the 6th shot, but I am here to tell you, every single round was close to the can. I don't think it was a fluke. I am also not here to claim that I am some wonder shot with a handgun. I bought my first handgun 11 months ago. (My wife reminded me yesterday I now have 7....) I don't even honestly really know if the targets I shoot are bad, decent, or good. I usually shoot alone or with a few less experienced friends or with my 7 year-old son. The shot at 50 yards was sitting at a bench, resting the bottom of the pistol grip on my rifle rest, so I could hold it very steady. I would bet that anyone on this forum could hit a can at 50 yards doing the exact same thing I did. How many shots would it take...again who knows......you know what they say though, "EVEN A BLIND SQUIRELL FINDS A NUT NOW AND AGAIN." I often shoot at clay pigeons at 50 yards with my Walter P22 and can usually hit them once per clip. Maybe I did just get lucky though....

Again I will state for the record, the HiPoint won't win any beauty contests, or design contests. However, mine went bang 99/99 times that I pulled the trigger and in my opinion the groups (accuracy) are consistent with what I normally shoot with my other guns. It felt decent in my hand. It came up on target well. And it only cost $130!!! I think its a great range gun or plinker!

Maybe I did get lucky and get a "flawed" one that "actually made it better." Or MAYBE they are decent guns..... I happen to be of the opinion that it is a GREAT gun for the price. (Of course I'm a consumer and not a salesman.) I have no problem that others think they are junk. Helps keep the prices low, so I can go buy another!

-PW

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T-Man said:
Buy an unreliable pistol and you can get more practice clearing malfunctions. :)
Thats funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-PW

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tacomatose said:
I am glad you got a new toy, but I would have saved the $130, or spent it on ammo for a different gun. Keep it safe, B
There's a lot of truth in this little statement. To each their own, I hope you continue to enjoy your new gun.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My nephue bought a hi-Point for his first pistol. He has never owned another one. That 9mm jammed every 3rd round every time no matter the magazine or the ammo you put in it.
Im glad others have had a more favorable experience but as for me and my house...we won't own a Hi-Point.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got a chance Saturday to go shooting again. As promised here is the bench target. (1" rings) I shot 30 rounds at 10 yards with the bottom of the magazine / grip resting on the bench / gun rest. I was quite pleased with the results. I know I am not the best shooter out there (far from it) and I would expect that most of the stray rounds are a result of me, not the gun. I didn't have my tools with me to adjust the sights. I think the 1st round from each magazine was high, because I need to adjust the sights. After the first round, I adjusted my aim. Anyway, I ran 60 rounds through the gun and no problems at all. I will probably keep posting info and round counts as I shoot. Not to annoy anybody, but simply because I am intrigued with this gun. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one. I still would never carry this anywhere with me, but for $130 it is a fun little range toy.

-PW

·
Registered
4 Posts
I first read about Hi Points on the Website of The Arizona Police Chiefs Association and how good they were for home protection. They are American made, carry a full liftime warranty, almost indestructible, accurate, fun to shoot, and will fire any ammo.

HP's don't require constant cleaning, and in fact you probably should never field strip them,or dismantle them in any way...(I have seen a truck run over a Hi Point pistol and it wasn't even scratched)!

I bought my first two Hi Points a 380. and a 9MM both have compensators on them and they are really fun to shoot especially at night because you get a great flash from the compensators ....They are kool.I have since purchased a 9MM and a 40 cal. carbine because of their quality control....looks and shootability.....

When I first read about the affordability of these guns I said to myself I have paid more for an expensive pocket knife. So I had to go and see. The reason these guns can be produced in that price range is because they incorporate a Blow Back Design in which the barrel doesn't float...and the owners of Hi Point wanted to make firearms available to people of all income levels for home protection.

Everyone that shops in the gun store I go to has many kinds of pistols but they all have at least 1 Hi Point Pistol and 1 HiPoint Carbine to keep their Glocks HK's Sigs, Taurus, Colts etc company...You owe it to yourself to go to your local range and test drive them you won't find a better bang for the buck.....traderneil Sin city :) :) :)

G

·
Personally I think any gun with zink in it is crap P22s and Sig Mosquitoes included.

I know a man with over 30 handguns (not including the highpoints) mostly HK and Sig (swears by the German made swears at the American) and high end 1911s. He has about 12 highpoint pistols throughout his jewelery store. With this mans shooting abilities, taste in other guns and, money most of us will only dream of I consider this a strong endorsement.

My personal expierence they make more lemons then guns with price tags with three digits other than 1. Triggers generally suck. They are accurate if you can overcome the trigger. The non lemons are good guns. If your budget dose not allow more then highpoint is the first choice in the low end. If you want a tackle box/truck gun you wont take care of... For me the only way I will ever end up with a highpoint is an untraceable drop gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i've shot on in .40 cal before, the accuracy was ok but it did jam often and i could feel the slide slugging back and forth almost like it was in slow motion, it was a strange and uncomfortable feeling. But if that was all that i could afford it would be better than nothing!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts