Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you, my wife and I share the same computer a lot. This used to result in me viewing her e-mail, Amazon account, etc. because she remained logged in. I just saw that a husband here just accidentally posted as his wife for the same reason. Well, with Firefox you can set up distinct profiles for each of you. It's as if you each have your very own Firefox - and they can even be open at the same time. No more logging in and out to switch users, just select your icon on the desktop and go.

1. Click Start... Run... and enter
firefox.exe -P -no-remote
Click OK. This will open the Profile manager.
2. Select Create Profile... then enter a profile name ("Jane" for instance), then select Finish.
3. If you already have a Firefox shortcut on your desktop, create a copy of it - select it then press Ctl+C then Ctl+V, or right click and select Copy, then right click on the desktop somewhere and select paste. If you don't have a Firefox desktop shortcut, create one by right clicking on an empty place on the desktop, select New... then Shortcut. Browse to firefox.exe (it's probably in C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/), then click Next, then Finish.
4. Rename the new Firefox shortcut so you can differentiate it from the other (e.g., Jane's Firefox)
5. Right click on the new shortcut and select Properties. In the Target text box, add
-P "YourProfileName" -no-remote
at the end. The entire line should look something like
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "Jane" -no-remote
Make sure to enter the profile name exactly like you did in step 3.

The separate Firefox shortcut will now open a distinct Firefox with it's own sessions, cookies, passwords, bookmarks, etc.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks! My wife does not use the internet very much, but when she does, I have the issues you mentioned. Thanks again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
what does the 'no remote' portion do?

Also, it'd be nice if you could tell whose profile it was by looking at the firefox window... like in the title bar or something...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eddified said:
what does the 'no remote' portion do?
If you don't add the 'no remote' portion, you can't run both profiles simultaneously. Without it, if one profile is open, Firefox will always open that profile until Firefox is closed and then opened with a new profile.

eddified said:
Also, it'd be nice if you could tell whose profile it was by looking at the firefox window... like in the title bar or something...
Try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/31 You may have to go to http://quitt.net/mozilla/extensions/ to get a FF3 version.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I could also just write a firefox extension that does what I want, if I don't find anything I like. I wrote a sidebar as a firefox extension once that I had forgotten about.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok, so i'm using "-no-remote" so i can have two different profiles open at the same time...
But now when I click on a link outside the browser, (for example a link received over Instant Message), I see a dialog that says "firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." Also, the link I clicked on doesn't open in any browser window. I know I can copy and paste the url from the I.M. window to the browser, but that is less than ideal.

Does anyone know of a workaround?

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
eddified said:
Create a distinct login identity for each person who uses the computer.
Then log into your own login account on the computer. The Firefox settings are all your own.

That's what we do, which negates the need for the trick described in this thread.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
eddified said:
Create a distinct login identity for each person who uses the computer.
Then log into your own login account on the computer. The Firefox settings are all your own.

That's what we do, which negates the need for the trick described in this thread.
Yes, this is the obvious solution. This is what I would recommend to the others here using the trick for them and their significant others. However, I have a different situation. I'm using both of the profiles for me. One profile is for surfing the web generally and the other profile is for web development. You see, I work on web pages for a living. So in my web development profile, I add the web development tools (firefox extensions) that I need. However, I don't want these tools cluttering up my profile that is only for surfing the web. So for me, using two profiles is a way to separate my web-surfing from the sites I am building.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts