Utah Guns Forum banner

holster advice

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  tap-rack-bang 
#1 ·
Problem #1: I currently carry using a Fist #K4 - Kydex tuckable. I love the holster, but it's causing hip and back problems. I wear the holster roughly between a 4 or 5 o'clock position. I got the holster about five months ago. After I carried it for about a month, I started having a lot of back pain. A month after that I went to a doctor who said my right sacroiliac joint was out and popped it back in place. (The sacroiliac joint is located right under where the holster is.) For those who are wondering, no, I didn't tell the doc about the gun. I had a suspicion that carrying was causing this and I stopped carrying on my person for a few days. My back pain went away. Now, whenever I carry, my back starts to hurt. When I don't carry, the pain goes away. This is frustrating, as my only other holster is a PagerPal, which I hate.

Problem #2: I am a medical student and as such work in the hospital about 12 hours a day. Some days I wear scrubs, other days I wear a shirt and tie. It's not reallly an option to use an IWB holster with scrubs.

Solution ??: From what I understand, getting a Smart Carry would solve all of these problems (back pain and scrub carry). For those of you who have a smart carry, do you think this would work for me? What are the pros/cons of smart carry?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Information about the SmartCarry holster.

Let's start out with the cons:

1. It isn't invisible. You will, depending on the size of your carry weapon, see a bulge in you groin area, which might not actually be a 'con' depending on your point of view/self-esteem.
2. The most noticeable "printing" of your weapon will most likely be the butt of the grip, which will poke out at the 1 'o' clock position and can interfere with the use of a belt to some degree.
3. It will cause extra sweat in your groin area - which can lead to a nasty irritation by Candida albicans. Only happened to me when I was playing tennis with it on every day.
4. Takes quite a long time to dry if laundered. Due to the elastic waistband it is recommended that you dry it with "air only", no heat as it can damage the elastic.
5. If you are not careful when sitting (and depending on how long your front appendage is), your front appendage may become pinched between your holster and your pants - HOLY OUCH!!!

Now for the pros:

1. It is a relatively cheap holster.
2. It is custom made to fit both you and your weapon.
3. The owner is very nice and will field any questions/problems you have.
4. The holster will hold your weapon, an extra mag (which many holsters do not), and has a small pocket for a large bill (never know when you will need emergency cash).
5. It works with nearly every outfit. It has become my preferred mode of carry over any other holster I own.
6. It doesn't get much more concealed than this (excluding inserting the weapon into bodily orifices - yikes).
7. SmartCarry (as opposed to other makers) has the following advantages:
  • 1. Holster available in white and denim colors to match pants or undergarments
    2. Holster has a true waterproofing layer as opposed to the 'absorbing' diaper material contained in many other maker's products
    3. Seams are sown such that all the stitching is on the outside of the holster so that no part of the gun will catch on the holster during a draw
    4. 14 inches of 2.5 inch wide velcro - it's not coming off accidentally
I hope this has been helpful, please feel free to ask any other questions.

#3 ·
I do NOT have a smartcarry, but I can say that I have never heard of anyone that does not like it. Everyone that has a smartcarry seems to love them. Sounds like it would work great in your situation.

-PW

#4 ·
I've never used smart carry, but the other option you might consider is a belly band. I have one made by Galco (I think). I have to be completely concealed at work and have my shirt tucked in. Since my permit hasn't come int he mail this time around I haven't worn it outside my house, but I have been wearing it around the house and doing chores. One night I even did a bunch of pushups, situps and running in place to see how well it stays put. It did pretty good. I'll be interested to see what everyone else says about the smart carries.

#6 ·
I don't use my SmartCarry daily, but I have no major complaints that haven't been listed. It is effective when deep concealment is needed or if I am wearing basketball shorts, etc that an IWB won't work.

#7 ·
I carry in my SmartCarry holster four days a week (Friday is casual day and then I carry IWB with a loose shirt. What I carry in it is my G27, which is small enough to work for me in the SmartCarry. It works great. It's not quite as comfortable as my IWB holster, but it works very well.

It took some practice and adjustment to figure out how to make it work well.

#8 ·
I guess I'm swimming against the current, but I bought a Smart Carry and HATED it. Wore it once and could hardly wait to get home so I could get it off. Since then it’s been in my junk drawer (I think, haven’t looked for a while).

Anyway, I use either a Comp-Tac Shirt Tucker or FIST K4A, and I carry whenever I legally can. Both are IWB holsters. The FIST is smaller; the Comp-Tac is a little more stable. I like 'em both.

#10 ·
I dont own one, but I have tried one. For me it got a bit warm to wear, but for when you need to be very concealed it works great. Stay away from tight jeans if you are going to wear it. I should state that i havent found an IWB holster I liked either. When I get another $50 to blow I will get a smart carry as they are very useful, but i wouldnt wear it daily.

#14 ·
I had an idea 5.11 makes a under shirt with a pocket for a gun. I have never used it or even heard of one being used but its an idea.

http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dl ... mber=40011

If you try it let me know how it works or if anyone has experience with it i would be interested in hearing your opinion.

#15 ·
A little while back I remember reading about someone who tried the shirt. Overall he liked it, but there was something about the seams under the arm that bugged him. I think he suggested an undershirt under the holster shirt. If I find it again I will post a link.

#16 ·
GeneticsDave said:
The holster will hold your weapon, an extra mag (which many holsters do not), and has a small pocket for a large bill (never know when you will need emergency cash).
Dave,

I'm thinking of getting a SmartCarry holster and can't decide whether to get the SmartCarry standard for $47.95 or the SmartCarry security (with a pocket for valuables) for $57.95. Does the valuables pocket add bulk to the rig? Is there a zipper or extra velcro that would make it thicker and cause more chafing?

Thanks

#17 ·
I actually don't have the SmartCarry Security holster. I have a normal SmartCarry. They split the large pocket, one area for the gun, another for a mag and then there is a small left-over pocket that I use to store a couple bills. It doesn't have a zipper or anything, I just wedge them in there really tight. I wish I could be of more help regarding the Security model, but I have never seen one other than on their web page.

#18 ·
Thanks, Dave, I think I'll get the SmartCarry standard for $47.95. Now I just need to convince my wife :D

p.s. did you make Jeff's avatar for him?

#20 ·
hamm said:
Thanks, Dave, I think I'll get the SmartCarry standard for $47.95. Now I just need to convince my wife :D

p.s. did you make Jeff's avatar for him?
GeneticsDave said:
I hope you enjoy your SmartCarry, I sure do.

As for the avatar, no, I didn't make it for Jeff. We made them at the Simpsonize Me web page - a promo run for The Simpsons Movie.
That's the web site I went to. I saw it referenced on another forum.
Then I used an image manipulation program called GIMP to manipulate a photo of my S&W 686, to rotate it, make it about the right size, and give it a transparent background to paste onto my simpsonized picture. I'm not really a GIMP expert, but I managed to struggle through it until I got the results I wanted.

I regularly use my SmartCarry holster. It's not the security model. I would think that putting extra pockets and more stuff in it would make it unwieldy, but that's a guess. I've never worn or held the security model.

I tried once to carry my full-sized S&W SW99 in it. No way. However, my G27 works quite well and has is the same caliber as the SW99.

#21 ·
GeneticsDave said:
As for the avatar, no, I didn't make it for Jeff. We made them at the Simpsonize Me web page - a promo run for The Simpsons Movie.
That site sounds pretty kewl... but I've been trying to go there since yesterday afternoon and every time I go there it's "too busy"... :(

#22 ·
I just bought a smart carry and after wearing it for about 8 hours now with my 5 inch 1911 and a 10 rnd single stack I think I really like it. It is slower that my IWB holster from Brigadegunleather.com but comfortable and doesn't print in my jeans nearly as bad as i thought it would.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.