Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever ridden a Honda Shadow Aero 750 on the freeway? I've ridden a couple, and I love the bike, but I haven't ridden it on the freeway.

No MC endorsement yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get with it! Why are you worried about riding it on the freeway? It will easily maintain freeway speed and the safety part is up to you....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't buy it yet, unfortunately. The reason I haven't gone on the freeway is, I don't have the proper licensing, and I don't want to get a ticket.

My driving record is just about to clear of all tickets, don't want to screw that one up. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
thx997303 said:
Anybody ever ridden a Honda Shadow Aero 750 on the freeway? I've ridden a couple, and I love the bike, but I haven't ridden it on the freeway.

No MC endorsement yet.
I rode one on my 1st OC ride from SLC to Payson. NOT enough power for freeway. It's a good size bike for City riding. I just got a 1300 as my 1st bike and that feels good.

PLEASE do the Safety Course BEFORE you ride, It will help you ALOT.

Just my .40

TJ

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a safety course recently. Free to service members you know.

Now, the question is TJ, it doesn't have enough power for freeway with you riding it, but I am a small fry in comparison. So, maybe the question is, has anybody who is about 150 lbs or less ridden it on the freeway?

No offense there man, not a commentary on your size so much as a commentary on my size. I'm pretty small, and skinny. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a beautiful Shadow 750 a few years back. While it was ok for city driving I always felt underserved for the highway. I was a tad smaller back then, maybe 175, give or take. Now I have a 1300 VTX and never worry about freeway even pushing 200.(lb's that os)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Maybe it's just me but... years back I owned a 550 (not a Shadow though) and I weighed a bit less back then... probably around 160#... and my bike had more than enough power for the freeway. I rode it on the freeway all the time without any problems at all. Recently I bought me a little 150 scooter... now it definitely lacks the power for the freeway but the larger 250+ models seemed sufficient even at my now-heavier weight of 200+#... unless there is something special about a Shadow (like, is it substantially heavier than it should be???)... I really don't see how 750cc's isn't sufficient for freeway riding for anyone reasonably-sized.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the 750 is about 520 pounds dry. I'm not sure how heavy they should be.

I guess as a cruiser, as long as it will cruise at around 70 with my 135 lb self. Then it will be just fine.

Of course, I wont be on the freeway much. I can get to Wendover easy without going on a single freeway. And it's much more scenic.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well consider the following

yamaha v-star 650- 39 hp 37tq 513 lbs wet

honda shadow spirit 750- 38 hp 42tq 553 lbs wet

The shadow has 100cc's on the yamaha and makes 5 more tq and 1 less hp, factor in the weight difference and I can see why the smaller yamaha gets better ratings. These are both ratings on the 08 models that I found via google. If your planning on a passenger you better start looking at 1100's at least imo.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eh, passengers not probable. I only weigh 135, the Yamaha is covered in plastic, little cheaper though.

Hmm, maybe I should rent some bikes, when I get back from texas.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had an '81 Yamaha maxim 650. I way roughly 240 and I was able to maintain 70 to 80 mph on the freeway. I wouldn't try to carry a passenger on the freeway but I did carry my wife down to walmart a few times. With your size you should be able to maintain a fairly good speed on the freeway. Just don't expect it to do as well as a 1000cc + bike.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, wouldn't expect it to perform like a larger bike.

I really want to avoid the freeway anyway. Dangerous stuff. Mostly I-50 type stuff.

I mostly just want to get to and from work, and some weekend trips.

What kind of MPG should I expect out of something like that? I was thinking about the 1100, but me being a new rider, and the claimed average MPG of 35, it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It all depends on how the bike does normally and then the riders weight. I got around 33 mpg with my Yamaha but I weigh a lot more than most and gunned it at just about every stoplight so that doesn't help either. You should be able to get around 35 to 40 mpg with your size and not running it hard.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Rami brings up a good point... anytime I had a passenger on the bike I could notice a decrease in power... enough that the freeway would have been a LITTLE hard (but I still think it would have been ok, just have to exercise more care).

But THX, if you are looking for something to get around to work with and want good MPG why not look at a scooter??? My 150 works great and gets 70-100. The 250's work even better (if you are going to be doing highway riding, you should really get at least a 250), of course. They get a little less MPG's, I think 50-70 is avg.

Now, you might not like scooters, I don't know. Personally I prefer motorcycles myself... but again, if MPG is an emphasis, scooters win hands-down... and the models starting at 250cc should be able to handle your weight and highway riding no problem. Heck, I tow my wife around town on my little 150 on the weekends... starting out is a little slow, but hey... also a brand-new 250cc scooter is only going to run you probably under $3000 for an "ok" one (as opposed to a crappy or really nice one)... just an idea...

·
Registered
342 Posts
My Vespa remake is 180cc 2 stroke with a 4 speed manual shift, all steel body too. It goes 75mph and gets 60mpg. It's not stock at all though. Stock it would run 60 and get 80mpg. They aren't for everyone but I love mine.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Problem is, I hate scooters.

If MPG was the biggest concern, I would definitely get a scooter. But, it's more for a, second vehicle during the summer, the cool factor, and the MPG.

So I could get 2 out of three with the scooter, no cool factor.

I could get 2 with a truck, no MPG.

Or I could get all three with the motorcycle. And they're just really fun to ride.

But yeah, if MPG was the only consideration, then I would get a scooter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i used to have suzuki c50 (boulevard cruiser) it was a little bit over 800 cc it was good in town with me (i'm about 180) but with wife in tow you could feel lack of the power (she's about 125). i never took it onto freeway with my wife on the back i did it few times by myself it had enough power to keep up it could've used more but i didn't like how it handled past 60 mph. it felt like i'm all over my lane it felt nervous and this was a bike less than few months old bought it brand new it just wasn't cutting it for me, i've noticed myself always slowing down to take a curve or go over some rough patch of road etc....in my opinion anything less than 1000 cc and lighter than 500 pounds is a gamble on the freeway (yes all motorcycles are gamble we know that) since then i've sold it and got me a another boulevard in this case m109r sucks a lot more gas c50 was doing about 55 this one wayyyy less than that but i din't buy it (or any of my other bikes)to save gas

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's something I was noticing about a few of the motorcycles I was looking at. The others were light, but the Honda was a bit heavier. A lot of the others were covered in plastic, the honda was not.

After a lot of research, it seems that the honda was the most reliable of them.

I guess I can just avoid the freeway. But, it seems that it will do fine with just me.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
THX, I thought you were going to get your permit so you could rent one to drive???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts