Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was counting my "Zombie" ammo (those of you who have been in my class know what I'm talking about with the Zombies) and was wondering what the average is for people on here to have saved up? Just post up and let us know.... :nilly:

I have right at 4000 rounds of varios calibers.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I try to keep my supply from falling below 500 rounds per firearm (2k for semi-auto)... :gun7:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not enough. :crying: But after the next gun show I'll get it back up. Mark your calenders and squirrel away some cash for Sept 20-21.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Not near enough... just when I start getting it built up, I shoot it all up... <stupid>... I really need to create 2 separate ammo storage locations so I'll stop dipping into my emergency stockpile...

·
Registered
397 Posts
bane said:
Not near enough... just when I start getting it built up, I shoot it all up... <stupid>... I really need to create 2 separate ammo storage locations so I'll stop dipping into my emergency stockpile...
Ha thats my problem, every time I get some storage going I think of it as oh I don't need to go to the store.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've been trying to get a good supply on hand. So far I've got about 2500 rounds of 9mm, working on 500 rounds of 38 Special, about 500 rounds of 380 ACP (that is when it's all reloaded,) and a couple hundred rounds of 30-06. I think I need more 38 Special and 357 Mag. And about 100 rounds of 32 ACP.

ian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Most is unloaded. Something like 8 pounds of powder and enough slugs and primers to match. Oh yeah, and three 40mm slugs, but no casing to load them into. Good thing to because then that would be illegal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
2,000 rounds of 7.62 x 39 ammo. I figure that's enough to fight off the looters if there is a disaster. I also have 1,000 of 9 mm and 1,000 rounds of 7.62 x 54R for my Mosin-Nagant. :gun1:

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is a great topic, and definitely one I need to work on.

Wheres the best place to buy lots of personal defense ammo?

I'm thinking it would be just fine to pick up 1,000 rounds of Hydra-Shok or some other top-notch defense round, but the last box of 20 rounds I bought was $18.99. Which means I wont be getting 1000 rounds of that any time soon.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I reload for my sidearms and rifles. The only ammo I buy is 22lr. Lets just say I have enough to supply a small Central American nation. But I have been reloading for over 40 years,

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have a good stash of loaded ammo and a large quantity of components to make pistol, rifle, and shotgun ammo.

To save money I buy primers and bullets by the thousand and powder in the 8lb kegs so I typically have enough to make a thousand rounds for any of the guns I own.

I think you should have at least 50 rounds minimum on hand for any of the guns you own.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Last year I had near 2,000 rounds of various calibers. I shot the majority and have been restocking lately. I was telling my wife tonight that every time I go to the shop I will be buying more ammo for both my pistols and my rifles, whether I need it or not. Let's just say that right now I have close to 150 rounds of .30 .30 and about 600 rounds of 9mm as well as several hundred rounds for my favorite .22 caliber plinker.

I still think that if I shoot I should replace what I use and when in the shop for anything in the interim I should buy some too. I think this will really help keep me in stock. The same thing may be true for others here as well. A little careful preparation is always a good idea/ I even have a couple humndred rounds specially set aside in an 72 hour emergency kit for those occasions you may not have time to grab it all and have to evac asap. I think I am mostly ready should that happen.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I keep 500 factory rounds for every caliber I own in dry boxes. about once a month I reload a 1000 rounds for one of my calibers, and then do another the next month. so on any given day I have about 8000-10000 rounds in my basemnt. just enough to support my addiction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ramiguy said:
bane said:
Ha thats my problem, every time I get some storage going I think of it as oh I don't need to go to the store.
Sounds like you need to take the Las Vegas gambling tactic "left pocket/right pocket" to your ammunition supply.

·
Registered
237 Posts
hawkwing said:
This is a great topic, and definitely one I need to work on.

Wheres the best place to buy lots of personal defense ammo?

I'm thinking it would be just fine to pick up 1,000 rounds of Hydra-Shok or some other top-notch defense round, but the last box of 20 rounds I bought was $18.99. Which means I wont be getting 1000 rounds of that any time soon.

Any ideas?
At a dollar per round, I wouldn't worry about getting 1000 rounds of defense ammo. I would just get a few boxes. The only reasons I can think of to get 1000 rounds of self defense ammo is 1. if you have plenty of money or 2. to have it in case it gets banned in the future (possible). You would never need that much in a gun fight--if you did you'd be better off using a rifle.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts